Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County
  • Jobs, Benefits, and Business

    Includes veterans' benefits, starting and running a business, unemployment, County job openings, and selling to the County.

  • Law and Justice

    Includes the courts, most wanted, law enforcement, child support enforcement, sealing record, victims' services, and jury duty.

  • Building, Property, and Home

    Includes planning, building codes and permits, owning and renting a property, and property tax assessments.

  • Health and Family Care

    Includes child and adult health service, food stamps, foster care, mental health, in-home nurse, substance abuse, and child support.

  • Birth, Death, and Marriage

    Includes bereavement, certificates and vital records, and divorce.

  • Environment and Agriculture

    Includes air quality and burn days, garbage and recycling, sewer, conservation, and green energy financing.

  • Animal Services

    Includes adopting a pet, animal control, and local vets and shelters.

  • County and Government

    Includes information on the buildings, county, codes, departments, projects, representation, and voting.

  • Community and Recreation

    Includes activities and events, parks, museums, libraries, and volunteerism.

  • Taxes and Financial Reports

    Property taxes, business taxes, transient occupancy taxes, fines, and financial reports.

  • Transportation and Travel

    Includes passports, bus schedules, and road maintenance.

  • Safety and Emergency

    Includes forest fires and floods, emergency preparation, and emergency response.


If you are an adult with dependent children, you may be eligible for California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids, or CalWORKs. CalWORKs provides short term cash assistance and a variety of services to help you get back on your feet and into the workforce. If you are eligible for CalWORKs you will automatically qualify for Medi-Cal and may also qualify for CalFresh. Even after you have found a job, there may be follow-up services available to help you stay employed and move to better-paying work.

Am I Eligible

To be eligible for CalWORKs, you and/or your family member(s) must be legal U.S. residents. Even if you are working, own a house or are married, you may be eligible for cash assistance to help pay your living expenses. At least one child in your home must need cash aid because of the:

  • illness
  • injury
  • unemployment or
  • continued absence of one or both parents

Children may be eligible for CalWORKs until their 18th birthday or are 18 years old and in high school or vocational school full time and are expected to complete either program before their 19th birthday or he/she is disabled and attends school full-time. You can only receive CalWORKs as an adult for 48 months in your lifetime unless you are exempt. There is no time limit for children.

In addition, the property of a child and the parent(s) must be under the following limits: 

  • Families without elderly members may have $2000 combined personal and real property. 
  • Families with elderly members (those who are 60 years of age or older) may have $3250 combined personal and real property 
  • The primary residence, furniture, clothing and appliances are exempt. 
  • Automobiles may be exempt for specific uses and/or up to $9500.

Where Can I Apply

You can apply for CalWORKs in one of 3 convenient ways:

24 hour a day/7 days a week

By Phone:


In Person:

Each office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00AM to 5:00 PM

Auburn at the Placer County Government Center
11542 B Avenue
Auburn, CA 95603
Fax - 530-889-7608

1000 Sunset Blvd. #220
Rocklin, CA 95765
Fax - 916-784-6100

North Lake Tahoe at Carnelian Bay
5225 North Lake Blvd.
Carnelian Bay, CA 96140
Fax - 530-546-1912

All CalWORKS applicants must have a face to face interview to complete the application process.

What Do I Need to Bring

The following items of verification are required to process your application:

  • A picture identification card
  • Social Security card
  • Proof of US citizenship
  • Rent and utility receipts (if applicable)
  • Vehicle registration (if applicable)
  • Income and property verification such as checking and savings account statements or unemployment benefits (if applicable)
  • Place of employment (if applicable)
  • Date of birth

There may be additional information the program specialist may need to help you complete your application. The program specialist will give you time to provide these. If you need help getting this information, or need help paying for them, the we may be able to help.

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ’s

The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a Human Services staff person for the most up-to-date information.