Paid Family Leave (PFL)
- What is Paid Family Leave and Am I Eligible?
- Effective July 1, 2004, eligible PPEO represented employees may take Paid Family Leave to provide care for ill parents, children, or a spouse and to bond with a newborn child, newly adopted child or newly placed foster care child. PFL provides up to six (6) weeks of paid benefits in a 12-month period and is administered by the State of California Employment Development Department. Only employees who are covered by SDI are eligible for this program.
PPEO represented employees:
- You must be off work for seven calendar days before you are eligible for PFL benefits. You should apply for PFL benefits as soon as you know you will be out longer than seven calendar days.
- You may coordinate your leave balances with your PFL benefits so that when combined you receive your regular compensation.
- Sick leave may be used with PFL if you are caring for an ill family member (as defined above).
- Vacation leave may be used with PFL to bond with your newborn child, newly adopted child, or newly placed foster care child.
Management, Confidential, and DSA represented Employees:
PFL is not available. Depending on the nature of your leave you will need to use your sick leave, vacation, CTO, and/or and Management Leave accruals with department head approval.
- How do I request benefits?
The application forms are available from the Employment Development Department at www.edd.ca.gov/fleclaimdi.htm. Additional information can also be obtained through the Personnel Department by calling (530) 889-4060.