General Relief / General Assistance
The General Relief program is a cash aid program that provides cash assistance to eligible adult residents of Placer County. It is intended to provide short-term assistance that will enable eligible individuals to become self-supporting, or to obtain support from another source. Generally, those who qualify for General Relief do not qualify for other Federal or State cash aid programs.
Am I Eligible
There are four basic eligibility factors:
- Income – All income is considered in the month it is received, and is deducted from the total grant amount..
- Resources – The combined value of your real and personal property shall not exceed $50. One vehicle with a value of less than $1500 is allowed.
- If you own your home, you will be required to sign a lien on the property. If and when this property is sold, the county will seek reimbursement.
- Age – individuals applying for benefits must be at least 18 years old.
- Residency – you must be a resident of Placer County for at least 15 days, and provide verification of your intent to continue to live in the county.
There may be other factors considered when determining your eligibility. Client Services Program Specialists meet with you individually to discuss your situation at the time of your application.
Where Can I Apply
To apply for General Relief benefits, you must visit one of the offices listed below. You will be asked to complete application forms and have an interview with a program specialist.
Auburn at DeWitt Center
11452 B Avenue
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 889-7610 Fax - (530) 889-7608
1000 Sunset Blvd. #220
Rocklin, CA 95765
(916) 784-6000 Fax - (916) 784-6100
North Lake Tahoe at Carnelian Bay
5225 North Lake Blvd.
Carnelian Bay, CA 96140
(530) 546-1900 Fax - (530) 546-1912
All General Relief applicants must have a face to face interview to complete the application process.
What Do I Need to Bring
The following items (if applicable) are required to process your application:
- A picture identification card.
- Social Security card
- Rent and utility receipts / proof of residency
- Vehicle registration (if applicable)
- Bank account statements (if applicable)
- Proof of any income you receive (if applicable)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The information on this page is for reference only. Speak to a Human Services staff for the most up-to-date information.