Located in the Foothills of Northern California, Placer County Library provides free and open access to services, programs, and materials that enrich, inform, empower, and entertain. We are committed to being a valuable source of information and lifelong learning to the residents of our communities.
Library Strategic Plan
The Placer County Library Stategic Plan was approved by the Board of Supervisors on December 10, 2013.
Download the full document: Library Strategic Plan
Library Advisory Board
The Placer County Library Advisory Board shall advise and make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors and the Placer County Director of Library Services concerning policies and procedures for the operation of the County Free Library System effective 11/16/93. The LAB also provides advisement to the NorthNet Library System.
- The Board Contact is:
10140 Snowy Owl Way
Auburn, CA 95603
- The County Contact is:
Mary L. George, Director of Library Services
350 Nevada Street
Auburn, CA 95603
The next Library Advisory Board meeting will take place on Wednesday, January 15, 2014, from 10:00 a.m. to approximately 12:30 p.m. at Auburn Library, Beecher Community Room 350 Nevada St. Auburn, CA. Please contact Library Administration, at 530-886-4550 for additional information.
The Placer County Library Advisory Board supports the following American Library Association core values:
The Freedom to Read
Libraries: An American Value
Library Bill of Rights
Resolution on the Use of Filtering Software in Libraries
Some Library History
During the early 1900’s, Placer County residents were served by three independent city libraries in Auburn, Lincoln and Roseville. All these library facilities were built by funds from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, which supported the construction of many public libraries in California and throughout the nation.
In 1909, the Legislature of the State of California passed the County Free Library Law and ushered in an exciting era in the development of library services throughout the state. Due primarily to the volunteer efforts of Mrs. K.D. Robinson, the Placer County Board of Supervisors approved the establishment of a County Library system in 1937.
The new County Library was headquartered in the basement of the Auburn Public Library, where it shared space with the Auburn City Council and Chief of Police. Branches and stations (deposit collections in homes, stores, etc.) were established in various parts of the county, and some schools joined the system. The system grew and by 1949, it required larger accommodations. In 1958, County Library headquarters moved to the Shepard Square Building on High Street in Auburn.
In 1967, the Auburn Public Library and the Placer County Library were consolidated to create the Auburn-Placer County Library. This merger made possible a new library building supported by Federal library construction grant funds. Prior to moving into the current library facility on Nevada Street in Auburn, the library was temporarily located at Palm Center and later at the Dewitt Center.
Read each branch's story
Search the Catalog