Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the library have tax forms?
- For best results, please give us a call before you make a trip. Some branches stock the most commonly used tax booklets, forms, and instructions in limited supply and for as long as supplies last. Federal Tax forms, instructions, and publications are available online at www.irs.gov. California State tax forms and instructions are available online at www.ftb.ca.gov. The nearest IRS office is at 4330 Watt Avenue in Sacramento. For more information, contact the Auburn Library at (530)886-4500.
- Does the library have WIFI?
- Yes. Wifi is available in all Placer County Library branches at no charge.
- I forgot my PIN
- If you have lost or forgotten your PIN, please come into a library branch to have it reset in person.
- How do I find a Friends of the Library Booksale?
- Friends of the Library Booksale Schedule
Some of the Friends groups have websites:
- How do I find a storytime or other event for kids?
- Find Kids Events here:Preschool Storytime and Special Events
- Can I borrow books from outside the Placer County Library system?
Yes. This library service is called Interlibrary Loan (I.L.L.) Interlibrary Loan is often useful for obtaining family history resources, out of print books, and other hard to find resources.
- Fee for the service:$3.00 per search (non refundable)
- Must be placed in person at a branch
- Borrower must have a Placer County Library card in good standing
- Loans are subject to the lending library's terms and restrictions
We make every effort to obtain your request, but not all requests are fillable.
- Fill time can vary between 2-8 weeks. Be prepared to be patient.
- Many libraries will not loan brand new items or multimedia.
- How do I change my address?
- Login to your Library account to change your address.
- How can I donate to the Library?
- There are many ways to support the Placer County Library:
- Donate your time by joining a Friends group or by volunteering at a library. To volunteer, apply on VolunteerMatch or in person at any Placer County Library.
- Property Tax Supplemental: Residents within the Library's service area can optionally contribute an additional amount to the Library when they pay their property tax.
- Donate Your Books, DVDs and CDs:The Library reviews donations to find useful items to add to its collection.For materials not needed in the collection many Friends of the Library groups hold regular book sales to raise funds and help the Library serve the community better. Booksale Schedule : (HTML)
- Make a Memorial or Substantial Donation to celebrate the memory of a loved one, or to honor a friend or relative's birthday, to remember another special occasion or because you have a passion for a particular program or service. Donations to the Placer County Library are tax deductable and can be sent to the Library Administration office or to a specific branch.
- Placer County employees can donate through the annual Combined Giving Campaign.
- How do I find a book club, class, or event for adults?
- Find the schedule here: Books Clubs, Classes, and Events
- How can I help someone to learn to read or improve their reading?
- Join Placer Adult Literacy Services (PALS)Find out more here:PALS
- How can I learn to read or improve MY reading?
- Let Placer Adult Literacy Services (PALS) help you. Find out more here: PALS
- How do I pay my fees or library fines?
All Placer County Libraries accept cash or checks.
- Checks are accepted in person or via mail. We do not recommend that cash be sent through the mail.
- Credit or debit cards are accepted at:Auburn, Granite Bay, and Rocklin Libraries
- Credit or debit card payments are not accepted by phone, but must be paid in person.
What Forms of Payment Are Accepted?
Acceptable Credit or Debit Cards:
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Diners Club, JCB. The library does not not accept American Express
Library Fines and Fees
- Overdue Fines: $.25 per item, per day, to a maximum of $5.00
- Replacement Charge for Lost Library Materials: Price of item plus $10.00 non-refundable processing fee
- Charge for Damaged Materials: Based on damage>
Fees for Services
- Library Card Replacement Fee: $1.00
- Service Charge for Account Referral to Collection Agency: $25.00
- Returned Check Charge: $58.00
- Interlibrary Loan Search Fee: $3.00 per item, plus any charges from lending library
- Reserved use of a community room is $15.00 per hour.
- Computer printouts and copies: $0.15
- Microfilm printouts: $0.25 (Auburn Library only)
- How do I place a hold or reserve on a book, DVD, or other library item?
Having trouble? We are here to help.Please contact the library during business hours.
- From the Placer County Library home page, click on Search the Catalog.
- Log in at the top right of the screen with your library card number and PIN.
- After finding the item you want to place a hold on, click "PLACE HOLD" to the left of the title of your choice.
- Select the branch where you'd like to pick up your hold.
- Select "PLACE HOLD"
- Your "hold" request will be confirmed.
- Select "OK."
- You will be notified when your hold is available.
- Note: You may not be able to place a hold if an item is still in processing.
- HINT: If your first selection is checked out, look for other editions of the same title that may be available sooner. You may be able to find the same item with a different binding, or copyright date.
- Library staff can place holds for you as well, either by telephone, or in the library.
- Here is the printable: "How to Set Up My Online LIbrary Account" (PDF).(includes instructions for placing holds)
- How do I set up my Online Library Account?
- From the Library home page, click on My Account to take you to the library catalog.
- Do not log in. Instead, click on the My Account link located in the Menu Bar across the top of the page.
- You'll see 3 options under "My Account". Select the middle option: "User PIN Change."
- Type in your library card number and current PIN. (For cards obtained prior to October 1, 2008, your PIN is "changeme." Type "changeme" (without the quotes) in the PIN box as one word, with no space or dash. For cards obtained after October 1, 2008, your PIN is the last four digits of the telephone number on your library card application.)
- Type your new PIN in the "enter new PIN" box. (It can be numbers or letters. It must be 10 characters or less.)
- Retype your new PIN in the "Re-enter new PIN" box.
- Select "Change PIN."
- "PIN Changed" will display on your screen, confirming your PIN change.
- Select "OK"
- Log out of your library account and log back in to test your new PIN.
- Here is the printable "How to Set Up My Online Library Account" (PDF).
Having trouble? We are here to help.Please contact the library during business hours.
- How do I receive notifications by email?
Email saves you time. Find out fast if:
When you fill out a change of address form and include an email, your account will be upgraded to email notification.
- An item you requested is ready for you
- Your checked out items will be due in two days
- Any of your items are overdue
- How do I renew my books or other library items?
Having trouble? We are here to help. Please contact the library during business hours.
- From the Placer County Library home page, click on My Account.
- Enter your Library card number and PIN below "Type your ID for information".
- Select the button on the left: Display User Information.
- Click one or more checkboxes to select the titles you want to renew.
- Click Renew Selected Items
- Your renewals will be confirmed, or you will be told which items cannot be renewed.
- If an item fails to be renewed, it has either already been renewed twice or someone has a hold on it.
- Non-renewable items need to be returned to the Library as soon as possible. There is a $.25 charge per item per day
- You may also renew items in person and by telephone.
- Here is the printable "How Do I Set Up My Online Library Account" (PDF) document. (Includes instructions for renewing)
- How do I reserve a computer?
Placer County Library offers computer workstations with Internet access at each of it locations. Procedures for reservations and length of usage vary among our locations. Please contact your branch for more information: Branch Locations, Hours, Phone numbers
- Computer usage is free.
- Print outs are $.15 per page.
- Computer users must have a Placer County Library card in good standing.
- All users must read and sign the Computer Acceptable Use Policy
- How do I reserve a meeting room?
- Placer County Library has community rooms in the Auburn, Foresthill, Granite Bay, Loomis and Rocklin Libraries.
Their purpose is to provide a place for community groups to meet.
- Commercial concerns may use the room for in-service training of staff.
- Both commercial concerns and private individuals are restricted from engaging in sales or fundraising activities.
- The rooms are available for use from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., seven days a week.
- As of October 1, 2012, the fee for reserved use of a community room is $15.00 per hour.
- Reservations are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis.
- Beginning October 1st of each year, reservations may be made for the following calendar year.
For more information, please call:
Auburn Library, 530-886-4501
Foresthill Library, 530-367-2785
Granite Bay Library, 916-791-5590
Loomis Library, 916-652-7061
Rocklin Library, 916-624-3133
- How can I become a library volunteer?
- We love our volunteers. Volunteers are needed for shelving and cleaning books. If you have intermediate computer skills and would like to teach or coach, our Digital Literacy program would love to hear from you. The way to begin is by applying to volunteer on VolunteerMatch or in person at any Placer County Library.
Search the Catalog