How To Order Copies
The guidelines for ordering birth and death records changed.
Because of the increased occurrence of identity theft, new laws were passed by State legislators to protect birth and death records from misuse. These laws went into effect July 1, 2003. At that time, the steps necessary to obtain a birth or death record changed significantly. Click here for more information
Jim McCauley, County Clerk-Recorder-Registrar of Voters
2954 Richardson Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
Fax: (530) 886-5687
Fees (per copy)
Public Marriage License
Confidential Marriage License
* Use of credit card
$ 2.00 first page/ $1.00 each additional page
$ 4.00 first page/ $1.00 each additional page
$ 7.00 (plus cost of record)
"Effective January 1st, 2010, AB 130 changes the application process for requesting certified copies of both Public and Confidential Marriage Certificates. All applicants are required to complete an application which includes a sworn statement signed under penalty of perjury. All requests received through the mail or over the fax must also be notarized by a notary. Only an “authorized person” as defined on the application can apply for an authorized certified copy.
Public or Confidential Marriage Certificate Application Form
In addition, the fee for each certified copy of a Public Marriage Certificate will increase to $14.00. The fee for each certified copy of a Confidential Marriage Certificate will increase to $19.00.
Over the Counter
Copies of recorded documents or vital records can be purchased at the Recorder's Office from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays. The customer completes a copy request form and gives it to the copy clerk. The copy is made at that time. Payment for an over-the-counter copy can be made by cash, check, money order or credit card.
A request for a copy can be mailed to the Recorder's Office. All copy requests must have:
- a daytime phone number in case there is a question or problem.
- an address to mail the copy to.
- a check or money order to cover the fee for the requested copies.
A request for a marriage, birth, or death certificate must include a completed application form - including a notarized Sworn Statement, signed under penalty of perjury by the authorized requestor.
A request for a copy of a recorded document must include the type of document, the parties involved and a recording reference if possible or a date of recording.
Copy requests should be mailed to:
||Jim McCauley, Placer County Clerk-Recorder
Attn: Copy Desk
2954 Richardson Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
Marriage certificates or official records can be ordered over the telephone with a credit card. To order by phone, call (530) 886-5610 with the following information:
- The type of record (Marriage, Recording, etc)
- Date of the event (or date of recording)
- Name on the certificate or document
- Credit card information
For an additional charge, telephone orders can be sent via express courier.
*Only Vital records can be ordered online. Vital Records include birth, death and marriage certificates.
Vital records can be ordered online with a credit card through VitalChek. VitalChek orders can also be sent via express courier for an additional charge.
Click here to go to
- Checks - The Recorder's Office does accept personal checks. All checks must have the account holder's name, address, phone number, account number and check number pre-printed on them. Checks should be made payable to Placer County Recorder.
- Money Orders - Money orders should be made payable to Placer County Recorder.
- Credit Cards - Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express are accepted. All credit card orders are assessed an additional $7.00 fee. This fee is charged by VitalChek, the company that processes the credit card information for Placer County Clerk-Recorder