Existing Miners Ravine Off-Channel Detention Basin Facility
The vision for this project is one where the District, the City of Roseville, Sacramento and Placer Counties, citizen and environmental groups, and native habitat have all benefited through a regional multi-objective flood control project located in the Dry Creek watershed. Necessary detention volume has been created to mitigate flooding impacts while at the same time the Miners Ravine creek corridor and existing basin wetlands have been improved to enhance their natural functions. The City of Roseville and Counties of Placer and Sacramento have benefited through the reduction of flooding impacts. The stream channel and dependent species (Including critical anadramous fisheries) have benefited through improvement in the function of the stream channel and habitat adjacent to the channel. Interpretive signing and trailhead parking for a multi-use recreational trail have also been constructed.
The project provides benefits bey0ond those listed above, including groundwater recharge, stormwater quality mitigation, reduction in sediment transport and deposition, and creation of better quality or additional wetlands. The project received grant funding support from the State Department of Water Resources Flood Corridor Protection Program and the facility construction was successfully completed in October 2007. The project has received several awards from the local engineering and consulting communities.
- No change to the existing, FEMA recognized 100-year floodplain limits
- Diversion of flood flows from the 5-year event on up to a 100-year event
- 24-hour gravity draining basin with inlet weir and outlet culverts
- Low flow channel component
- Emergency overflow spillway component
- Re-vegetation plan with native species
- Removal of invasive and non-native plant species
- Stream channel restoration components
- Recreational trail, trailhead parking and interpretive signing components
- Minimized long term operations and maintenance activities
- Access roadway for maintenance and monitoring