Placer County Draft Ordinance - In-Lieu Parking Fee Program
Placer County Ordinance
Establishing an In-Lieu Parking Fee Program
North Tahoe Parking Districts
The Placer County Board of Supervisors hereby enacts the following:
17.54.055 Off-Street Parking in-lieu Fee Option
A. Fee Collection process.
The collection process and the amount of fees for provision of public parking in the Parking Districts shall be as specified below. Specific procedures for implementing this ordinance will be prepared by the director.
1. At the discretion of the director, a fee may be paid for uses within the Parking Districts in lieu of complying with all or portions of Article 17.54.050 (Off-Street Parking Standards). The director shall make the following determinations in order to determine if a project is eligible to pay this fee.
a) if the development lies within one of the specific Parking Districts;
b) the type of development , and the corresponding fee to be charged in accordance with(reference chart or subsection).
c) For developments requesting to pay an in-lieu fee for 5 or more spaces, the director shall make a finding that allowing fees in lieu of on-site parking will not unduly negatively impact other nearby properties.
2. This fee will not supersede mitigations for immediate direct impacts determined through a project’s environmental process. An applicant may need to provide a parking study to make the required findings.
B. Amount of Fee.
- The amount of payment for each required parking space shall be fixed by resolution adopted from time to time by the board, but in no case shall exceed the estimated, normal, current cost to the county of providing required parking spaces to serve the contemplated use.
- Fees paid in accordance with this article are collected to fund a general public parking program serving the Parking Districts and are not intended for any specific improvement project. The fees paid shall be the most current fees as established by the board less any prior fees paid by the applicant for satisfaction of the county parking requirements prior to the enactment of this section.
- Any off-street parking requirement satisfied in this manner shall run with the land, and any subsequent change of use that requires more parking shall require subsequent action to satisfy the additional parking requirement.
C. Time of Collection of Fees. Fees for all development projects for which payment of fees in lieu of on-site parking is desired shall be paid prior to the issuance of building permits. Fees for development projects which do not require building permits shall be paid before any other applicable county approval is made final.
D. Use of Fee. The fees collected shall be used for the following purpose: to construct or provide new public parking spaces within, or for the direct benefit of, the Parking District from which the funds are generated.
E. Current Fee Schedule. The director shall maintain the current fee schedule. The director shall make the current fee schedule available for public review upon request.
F. Disputes. Any dispute regarding a determination by the director under this Section shall be resolved consistent with County Code Section 17.60.110 (C) and (D).
G. Trust Fund. An interest-bearing trust fund shall be maintained exclusively for the Kings Beach Parking District, and a separate interest-bearing trust fund shall be maintained exclusively for the Tahoe City Parking District. These trust funds and interest earned by these trust funds shall be used solely for improvements identified in Section D, above, within the Parking Districts. Upon receipt by Placer County, fees collected shall be deposited in the appropriate Parking District trust fund by the Department of Planning.
H. Phasing. If a project is phased, payment of fees pursuant to this article may be similarly phased as agreed upon between the applicant and the director.
I. Termination. If this fee program is terminated, any excess funds collected prior to dissolution of this fee program shall be used within the separate Parking Districts for those purposes identified in Section D, above.
Other applicable sections of county code. This article does not supersede, replace, or invalidate other applicable sections of County Code.
As of January 1, 2007, the fee per in-lieu parking space shall be $16,350.
The Placer County Board of Supervisors here by Amends Section 17.04.030 and adds:
“Kings Beach Parking District” or “Parking District” is the area defined by Exhibit 1.
“Tahoe City Parking District” or “Parking District” is the area defined by Exhibit 2.
(Parking District Boundary Maps are not yet available)