Responsible Retailers Care
The Placer County Tobacco Prevention Program recently conducted
a "Responsible Retailers Care" campaign among all tobacco retailers
in the Auburn Area, Greater Foothills, Western Placer, and the
North Tahoe Area. The goal of “Responsible Retailers
Care” is to reduce youth’s exposure to tobacco
In an effort to reduce the impact of tobacco advertising on youth,
the Placer County Tobacco Prevention Program asked tobacco
retailers to voluntarily eliminate at least one tobacco marketing
strategy in their stores. Examples included:
- Removing tobacco advertising below 3 ft,
- Removing tobacco advertising and displays away from candy and
- Removing tobacco look-alike candy/food products (ex. Big League
Chew and Shredded Beef Jerky Chew cans),
- Removing tobacco advertising from countertops and surrounding
- Removing self-service displays, and
- Removing tobacco promotional items (gifts with purchase).
To date, 47 tobacco retailers voluntarily eliminated at least
one of these tobacco marketing strategies in their stores.
The Placer County Tobacco Prevention Program would like to
recognize these tobacco retailers for their commitment to reduce
youth's exposure to tobacco advertising.
Tobacco retailers in Placer County that are interested in
joining the "Responsible Retailers Care" campaign should contact
the Placer County Tobacco Prevention Program at (530) 889.7141.