Skip to content

Garbage and Recycling

OneBigBinPlacer County Recycles with One Big Bin !

Find a recycling center for your bottles and cans.

Learn more about our solid waste construction projects

Garbage and Recyclables Facilities

Western County

Western Placer Waste Management Authority (WPWMA)

3195 Athens Avenue, Roseville, CA
Open Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and weekends 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (916) 543-3960

Central County

Auburn Transfer Station

12305 Shale Ridge Road, Auburn, CA
Open every day 8:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Phone: (530) 885-3735

Meadow Vista Transfer Station

2950 Combie Road, Meadow Vista, CA
Open Friday through Monday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone: (530) 885-3735

Green Waste & Pine Needle Disposal

Foresthill Transfer Station

6699 Patton Road, Foresthill, CA
Open Friday through Monday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (530) 885-3735

Tahoe Area

Eastern Regional Landfill and Material Recovery Facility

Hwy 89 & Cabin Creek Road, Truckee, CA
Open Monday through Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Half-Day Holidays 8:00 am – 12:00 p.m.
Bear Bin Loan Program
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
Basura Toxica Residencial
Green Waste and Wood Waste Recycling

Garbage Collection Rates

Franchise Areas 1 & 4
Franchise Areas 2 & 3

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Who collects my garbage?

Recology Auburn Placer (for areas west of Colfax, including City of Colfax) and Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal (for areas east of Colfax and in the Tahoe area). Please check the Franchise Area Map to determine which area you live in.

How much does garbage service cost?

Garbage service rates vary based on where you live. Please check the Franchise Area Map to determine which area you live in, then click on the appropriate link above under Garbage Collection Rates. Residents of cities should contact their local Public Works department.

Why don't I have a recycle bin?

Placer County recycles with the One Big Bin recycling program. Your garbage and recyclables go into the same can and are taken to the Western Placer Waste Management Authority’s (WPWMA) Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), or to the Eastern Regional Landfill MRF, where the recyclables are separated from the garbage. This reduces the quantity of garbage that is put into the landfill.

How do I get rid of old medications, sharps, and syringes?

These items are considered Household Hazardous Wastes and can be taken to the Western Placer Waste Management Authority in Roseville.

Sharps and syringes can be taken to Recology Auburn Placer in Auburn, or to the Eastern Regional Materials Recovery Facility in the Tahoe area, by appointment. Call 530.583.7800.

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

 Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is waste that is illegal to place in your trash can, such as medication, sharps and syringes, paints, poisons, solvents and oils.

Where can I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?

 Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is accepted free of charge at the Eastern Regional Landfills' HHW facility and the Western Regional Landfills' HHW facility. Some Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is accepted at Transfer Stations located throughout Placer County. For information on HHW items accepted, disposal times, and proper transportation tips please contact the facility nearest you. Your garbage collection service provider may even provide FREE curbside pick-up service for Household Hazardous Waste.

How do I properly transport Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

  • Keep products in their original, tightly sealed  containers, if possible
  • Label materials not in their original containers
  • Place leaking containers in tightly-sealed, labeled plastic containers
  • Do not mix materials; sort products by type
  • Pack containers upright in cardboard or plastic containers
  • Secure in the trunk of your car or bed of your truck

Where can I dispose of old batteries?

Household battery collection sites can be found throughout the county. Your garbage collection service provider may even provide FREE curbside pick-up service for batteries.

Where can I dispose of sharps and syringes?

Placer County offers three free drop-off locations for home-generated sharps and syringes.

What is mandatory commercial recycling and what services are available?

Mandatory commercial recycling is a California state law by which Placer County must provide recycling services to some businesses, and multi-family housing of five or more units. Placer County provides these services through private contractors in order to provide the recycling services required by state law.

What happens to the garbage that isn’t recycled?

After the garbage has been sorted at the MRF, materials that cannot be recycled are taken to a landfill. In the western portion of the County garbage is disposed of at the Western Regional Sanitary Landfill in Roseville, the only active landfill in Placer County. In the eastern portion of the County, garbage is taken to Lockwood landfill in the state of Nevada.


Phone: 530-889-6846


Construction Projects

Learn more about our construction projects