How To Order Copies
The guidelines for ordering birth, death and marriage records has changed.
Because of the increased occurrence of identity theft, new laws were passed by State legislators to protect birth, death and marriage records from misuse. The most recent laws went into effect January 1, 2010. At that time, the steps necessary to obtain a birth, death, or marriage record changed significantly. Click here for more information
2954 Richardson Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
Fax: (530) 886-5687
Fees (per copy)
Public Marriage License
Confidential Marriage License
* Use of credit card
$ 2.00 first page/ $1.00 each additional page
$ 4.00 first page/ $1.00 each additional page
$ 4.25 Flat rate
$ 7.00 (plus cost of record) fee effective 6-1-2011
Over the Counter
Copies of recorded documents or vital records can be purchased at the Recorder's Office from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays. The customer completes a copy request form or application, and gives it to the copy clerk. The copy is made at that time. Payment for an over-the-counter copy can be made by cash, check, money order or credit card.
A request for a copy can be mailed to the Recorder's Office. All copy requests must have:
- a daytime phone number in case there is a question or problem.
- an address to mail the copy to.
- a check or money order to cover the fee for the requested copies.
A request for a public or confidential marriage certificate must include a completed application form- including a notarized Sworn Statement, signed under penalty of perjury by the authorized requestor.
A request for a birth or death certificate must include a completed application form- including a notarized Sworn Statement, signed under penalty of perjury by the authorized requestor.
A request for a copy of a recorded document must include the type of document, the parties involved and a recording reference if possible or a date of recording.
Copy requests should be mailed to:
||Jim McCauley, Placer County Clerk-Recorder
Attn: Copy Desk
2954 Richardson Drive
Auburn, CA 95603
*Vital and Official records can be ordered over the telephone with a credit card. To order by phone, call (530) 886-5610 with the following information:
- The type of record (Birth, Death, Marriage, Recording, etc)
- Date of the event (or date of recording)
- Name on the certificate or document
- Credit card information
For an additional charge, telephone orders can be sent via an Overnight Carrier.
*If requesting a vital record (Birth, Death, or Marriage) a completed, signed and notarized application must be faxed to our office at (530) 886-5687 prior to calling our office with your credit card information.
*Only Vital records can be ordered online. Vital Records (including birth, death and marriage certificates)
*If requesting a vital record (Birth, Death, or Marriage) a notarized sworn statement must be faxed to our office at (530) 886-5687 and can be ordered directly with our office by calling (530) 886-5600 or can be ordered online with a credit card through VitalChek. VitalChek orders can also be sent via an Overnight Carrier courier for an additional charge.
Click here to go to
- Checks - The Recorder's Office does accept personal checks. All checks must have the account holder's name, address, phone number, account number and check number pre-printed on them. Checks should be made payable to Placer County Recorder.
- Money Orders - Money orders should be made payable to Placer County Recorder.
- Credit Cards - Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express are accepted. All credit card orders are assessed an additional $7.00 fee. This fee is charged by VitalChek, the company that processes the credit card information for Placer County Clerk-Recorder.