Placer County Health Officer Dr.
and Air Pollution Control Officer Tom Christofk are urging North Lake Tahoe
residents to take common-sense precautions if winds change and blow smoke from the Angora Fire in their direction.
“In a nutshell, if you can see or smell smoke, you should limit outdoor physical activities, and strongly consider canceling outdoor sporting events and other group physical activities,” said Dr. Burton.
People should generally avoid physical exertion during smoky conditions. Particularly affected are children and the elderly.
Smoky conditions vary considerably in PlacerCounty, because of the terrain and the weather. A specific location may be smoky at one point and clear at another. Depending on where residents are, they may or may not be impacted, and conditions can change very quickly.
Residents are urged to keep in mind the following recommendations when they are in smoky conditions:
- Healthy people should delay strenuous exercise, particularly when they can smell smoke.
- Children and elderly people should consider avoiding outdoor activities, particularly prolonged outdoor exertion.
- People with health-related illnesses, particularly respiratory problems, should remain indoors.
- Using paper mask filters, which are not capable of filtering extra-fine smoke particles and which restrict airflow, is not recommended.
- Stay inside with doors and windows shut. Use the recycle or recirculate mode on the air conditioner in your home or car. Avoid cooking and vacuuming, which can increase pollutants indoors.
- People with asthma should follow their asthma-management plans.
- Contact your doctor if you have symptoms such as chest pain, chest tightness, shortness of breath, or severe fatigue. This is important for not only people with chronic lung or heart disease, but also for individuals who have not been previously diagnosed with such illnesses. Smoke can “unmask” or produce symptom of such diseases.
- Keep airways moist by drinking lots of water. Breathing through a warm, wet washcloth can also help relieve dryness.