Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County

Keeping Placer County Waters Clean

June 29, 2010

Placer County residents and visitors are fortunate to have access to an abundance of pristine waters for recreation, agriculture, and domestic use. However, the overall quality of those waters is also threatened by those very same uses.

Human activity and land development influence the quality of the water in our waterways. Pollutants from everyday activities such as car washing (soaps), rafting (bank erosion, trash), or land maintenance (pesticides, sediment) can find their way into canals, reservoirs, streams and lakes, carried there by stormwater runoff.

Stormwater runoff is rain or snowmelt that is not absorbed into the ground. It’s the water that runs down the street, through the drainage systems, or across the ground after a storm. Stormwater carries surface pollutants into the closest waterway with no treatment. These pollutants may include sediments, oils, paint, cement products, chemicals and animal wastes.

Keeping pollutants out of the waterways is always the best solution. So on your next trip to a Placer County farmers market, winery, bed and breakfast or if you are out horseback riding, hiking, skiing or even working in the yard, remember to pick up your trash and to stay on designated trails. Pick up pet wastes and place in garbage containers. Dispose of all waste materials properly, and contain all potential pollutants (anything but the stormwater itself!) so that they will not be carried away by wind or stormwater runoff.

There are federal, state and local regulations that prohibit release of pollutants into waterways. For information on stormwater quality programs in unincorporated Placer County, call (530) 745-7555 or click on this Placer County Department of Public Works link: Stormwater.

To report a violation or for questions in the incorporated areas please contact:

  • City of Auburn - (530) 823-4211
  • City of Lincoln – (916) 434-2458
  • Town of Loomis – (916) 652-1840
  • City of Rocklin – (916) 625- 5500
  • City of Roseville – (916) 774-5751
  • Town of Truckee – (530) 582-2938