Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County
  • Jobs, Benefits, and Business

    Includes veterans' benefits, starting and running a business, unemployment, County job openings, and selling to the County.

  • Law and Justice

    Includes the courts, most wanted, law enforcement, child support enforcement, sealing record, victims' services, and jury duty.

  • Building, Property, and Home

    Includes planning, building codes and permits, owning and renting a property, and property tax assessments.

  • Health and Family Care

    Includes child and adult health service, food stamps, foster care, mental health, in-home nurse, substance abuse, and child support.

  • Birth, Death, and Marriage

    Includes bereavement, certificates and vital records, and divorce.

  • Environment and Agriculture

    Includes air quality and burn days, garbage and recycling, sewer, conservation, and green energy financing.

  • Animal Services

    Includes adopting a pet, animal control, and local vets and shelters.

  • County and Government

    Includes information on the buildings, county, codes, departments, projects, representation, and voting.

  • Community and Recreation

    Includes activities and events, parks, museums, libraries, and volunteerism.

  • Taxes and Financial Reports

    Property taxes, business taxes, transient occupancy taxes, fines, and financial reports.

  • Transportation and Travel

    Includes passports, bus schedules, and road maintenance.

  • Safety and Emergency

    Includes forest fires and floods, emergency preparation, and emergency response.

Drilling a Well

If you are planning on building a home in a rural location with no access to public drinking water, you will have to drill a well on your property.  Water well permits may only be applied for by a licensed well driller (see procedure below).  Please see our FAQ's for common questions regarding water wells.

The cities of Roseville and Lincoln have separate permitting requirements and must be contacted if the well is to be drilled within either city's limits.

Water Sampling

If you own a home with a water well, you may be required to sample your water to determine if it is safe to drink for the purposes of issuing and approving permits for Building, Planning, and Environmental Health.  Sampling may be for bacteriological testing or chemical testing (nitrates, for example).  Sampling must adhere to very strict protocol, so please refer to our water sampling guidelines prior to attempting to take a sample. 

Please contact us if you have any questions regarding sampling.

Water Well Disinfection

There may be times when your well needs to be disinfected, such as:

  • After construction of a new water supply or pipeline.
  • After making repairs to an existing water supply.
  • After a water system has been unused for several months.
  • After surface flooding of a well or storage tank.
  • When the results of a bacteriological test indicate contamination.
  • Before a new water supply (ie. well) is used.

Please refer to our detailed disinfection procedure.

Applying for a Well Permit

Well Permits must be applied for by a licensed well driller with a C-57 license. Upon applying for a permit, the Driller shall provide the following:

  • A vicinity map and clear directions to the property and well site.
  • Plans and specifications for the proposed work, including method of sealing the annular space.
  • Two copies of an accurate site plan, drawn to scale. Show the proposed well location and all features of potential contamination such as septic system, sewer line, animal feed lots or pasture, and property lines within 150 feet of proposed well site. Wells are required to be in compliance with set-backs from potential ground water hazards.
  • A copy of the Assessor's plot map/parcel map.
  • Location of any restrictions such as easements on the property.
  • Any other information that enforcement agency finds necessary to complete the permit application.
  • Submission of the appropriate permit filing fee.

Once the above documentation has been reviewed and approved by our Specialists, drilling may commence.  The permit must be on-site during the drilling process and the driller must comply with  the permit requirements and the Placer County Well Ordinance.

Additional Resources

Private Drinking Water Wells United States Environmental Protection Agency

Well Completion Reports -California Department of Water Resources (DWR)

*If you are the owner of a private water well you may request a copy of the well completion report, that was filed with DWR by the well driller. The California Water Code, Section 13752 prohibits distributing well completion reports to anyone but the current land owner, his/her legal designee, or a government agency, without the owner's permission.