Skip to content

Birth and Death Records


Public Health Paper Shortage Letter

Due to a statewide shortage of banknote paper, effective immediately and until further notice, the Clerk-Recorder and Vital Statistics will only be permitting purchase of one birth and one death certificate per customer.  Additional certificates can be purchased from the California Department of Public Health through the mail.  Purchasing and mailing instructions are located here.

We register all births, deaths, and fetal deaths that occur in Placer County, under the supervision of the County Health Officer. We also issue permits for the burial or movement of human remains. We are required to provide information about these events to local, state, and federal health agencies to reduce fraud. In addition, the information is used to promote the health of our citizens, and given to local and state planners to facilitate meaningful and efficient use of funds.

Our office provides copies of birth and death records for the current and previous year only. The Placer County Clerk Recorders Office can provide copies of prior year certificates.

Applications & Fees (Pursuant to AB 1053):

Authorized Certified Copy

An Authorized Certified Copy can be used to provide identity, and is only given to someone authorized to receive it. The law describes an authorized person as:

  • The Registrant (Name on Certificate)
  • Parent/Legal Guardian
  • Grandparent/Grandchild
  • Sibling
  • Child
  • Spouse/Domestic Partner
  • Attorney of Record
  • Authorized by way of Court Order
  • Licensed Adoption Agency
  • Law Enforcement/Government Agency for official business
  • For Death Certificates, a funeral director for official business

How do I get an Authorized Certified Copy?

  • Complete the front page of the desired document (click on the link above to print a copy)
    • In Person - Bring the completed front page to the address below.  The Sworn Statement will be completed in front of the staff.
    • By Mail - Take the completed front page to a Notary. The Sworn Statement must be signed in front of a Notary.

Informational Certified Copy

An Informational Certified Copy is for information only and cannot be used to prove identity. It will be labeled “INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY”, and can be requested by anyone.

How do I get an Informational Certified Copy?

  • Complete the front page of the desired document (click on the link above to print a copy)
    • In Person or By Mail - Submit the completed front page to the address below. 

Making Changes to Vital Records

There are several circumstances that occur which require amendments or changes to the original vital record. Click on any and all that apply to you for the instructions on how to amend your record. Please note that all applications for amendments require special forms; these forms can be obtained through our office.

Certificates Registered Outside of Placer County

Obtain a certificate registered from:

American Citizens Born Abroad
Department of State Correspondence Branch
Suite 510
1111 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20522

Contact Us

11484 B Ave
Auburn CA 95603

Phone: 530-889-7158

Public Counter Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.