Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What is my balance?

 Login to view your account information.

 How do I make a payment?

Payments can be made by;

  • Mail
  • On Line
  • Phone 866-863-1006
  • Or in person

What methods of payment are accepted?

You can get more information on this in the Payment Page

  • Cash
  • Money order
  • Credit card (we accept Visa, MasterCard, debit/ATM and Discover)
  • Cashier’s check
  • Personal check

How and when do I contact you?


Office Hours:

7:30 am to 5:00 pm – Monday through Thursday
8:00 am to 5:00 pm – Friday
(Excluding official County holidays.)

Phone and Hours:


8:00 am to 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm to 5:00 pm – Monday through Thursday
8:00 am to 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm – Friday
(Excluding official County holidays.)

Fax: 916-543-3910


10810 Justice Center Drive (map and directions)
Suite 100
Roseville, CA 95678

QR Code:
QR Code to contact Revenue Services

Where is Placer County Revenue Services located?

10810 Justice Center Drive (map and directions)
Suite 100
Roseville, CA 95678


From Interstate 80, exit CA-65 North toward Lincoln
Take the Blue Oaks Blvd exit and keep to your right
Turn RIGHT onto Alantown Dr
Turn RIGHT onto Industrial Blvd
Turn RIGHT onto Justice Center Dr
Proceed to the first building

I thought the Public Defender was free. Why are you billing me?

Court appointed counsel services are not free in the County of Placer. You must provide one month of current pay stubs or supplemental form in order to be evaluated for a possible reduction. (Please fill out this Financial Evaluation Form.)

Why is my tax refund being taken?

We notify the State of California Franchise Tax Board of delinquent debts that are owed to Placer County. To protect against having your State tax refund intercepted, you must pay your account in full in order to have the account deleted from the intercept list.

What happens if I miss a payment?

When you miss a payment you have defaulted on your agreement to pay. This may cause a failure to pay civil assessment fee to be added and the total balance to be payable in full. If you do not pay in full, we may take further collection enforcement action.

How do I clear a hold on my driver’s license?

Contact DMV to verify the case number(s) affecting your license. Then contact Revenue Services for further instructions.

How do I get information about Traffic School?

All questions related to Traffic School should be directed to the Placer County Superior Courts.

What is the Placer County Superior Courts phone number?

(916) 408-6000


Transient Occupancy Tax Questions

What is Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)?

Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) is levied for the privilege of occupying a room or rooms or other living space in a hotel, inn, tourist home or house, motel or other lodging for a period of 30 days or less. TOT is authorized under State Revenue and Taxation Code Section 7280 and Placer County Ordinance 5006-B. The tax acts as an additional source of non-property tax revenue to local government. In Placer County this tax is levied at a rate of 10% and 8%, depending on the location of the rental unit.

What fees are included as rent for Transient Occupancy Tax?

 Definition of TOT Fees 

 Do I still need to file a tax return even if I did not collect any rent during the quarter?

Yes. Returns must be filed quarterly, even if no tax is due. (Sec 4.16.070)

What is the filing due date for returns?

Returns must be postmarked by the US Post Office on or before the last day of the month following the close of each quarter. (Sec. 4.16.070)

What is the tax percentage rate?

The tax rate for the area known as the “North Lake Tahoe Area” is 10%. The tax rate for the area known as the “Western Slope” is 8%. The division line is in the vicinity of Rainbow Road and I-80. You can lookup the tax rate online (click on this link) with the APN number of the property, or Contact Revenue Services with the exact address of the rental unit to determine the correct tax rate. (Sec. 4.16.030) Look up your tax rate.

What if I sell or transfer or terminate operation of my business or rental?

A certificate holder must notify the County Tax Administrator in writing 30 days in advance of the sale or transfer date, to include the name and address of the purchaser or transferee. Send your notification to Placer County Administrative Services Department, Revenue Services Division, 10810 Justice Center Drive, Suite 100 Roseville, CA 95678 . (Sec 4.16.080)

What do I do if I dispute a penalty and interest assessment by the County?

A certificate holder may request a waiver of penalties and interest by the Director of Administrative Services by submitting a written request to Revenue Services within seven (7) working days after notification. (Sec. 4.16.110)

What are my options if my appeal is denied?

A certificate holder may appeal the determination made by the Director of Administrative Services by sending a written request to the Placer County Board of Supervisors within ten (10) working days of the determination. Send your request for appeal to the Placer County Board of Supervisors, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603 (Sec. 4.16.110c)

What if my renter(s) states they are exempt from the tax?

In general, exemptions are not allowed except in a very few circumstances. Refer to the Code for more detail. (Sec. 4.16.040)

How do I obtain a Transient Occupancy Tax certificate?

Complete an application form and submit it to Revenue Services. (Sec. 4.16.060a)

Where do I display my new Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate?

Within sixty (60) days after the effective date of the ordinance codified in this article or within thirty (30) days after commencing business, whichever is later, each operator of any hotel renting occupancy to transients shall register such hotel with the tax administrator and obtain from him or her a “transient occupancy registration certificate” to be at all times posted in a conspicuous place on the premises. (Sec. 4.16.060)

If I use a property manager for my rental, do I still need to file a return? 

If the certificate for your property is maintained by a property management company, and that company collects ALL of your rental income, then you do not need to file a return. If you collect any rents outside of your agreement with the property management company, you would be required to file a return for the portion of rental income that you collected. (Sec. 4.16.070)

Where can I find a copy of the Uniform Transient Occupancy Tax Code?

The full tax code is available in the Placer County Code.