Skip to content

Licensing & Fees

Licenses are required for all dogs 4 months of age or older by law. If you move in to Placer County or obtain a new dog, the dog must be licensed with in 30 days. Licenses are not transferable between owners or from other jurisdictions. You can be cited and fined if your dog is unlicensed.

A dog license is required for all dogs in Placer County.

The city limits of Auburn, Roseville and Rocklin handle their own animal licensing and animal control enforcement. Contact your local city government for licensing details if you live in one of those cities.

A license shows that your pet is not a homeless stray. Animals found wearing identification are more likely to find their way home than animals with out. Animal Services will contact you by phone or mail if your pet comes to the Shelter wearing a valid license. Even dogs kept indoors can sometimes get out, so it is very important that your dog is wearing a license at all times. Animals at the shelter wearing identification are held longer and the shelter staff makes every attempt to contact and reunite the owner with the animal.

Placer County License fees help support the return of over 2,000 lost dogs, cats, and other animals, and also help adopt homeless dogs and cats to new families every year. Other services funded by pet licensing include:

  • Investigation of animal neglect or cruelty
  • Spay/neuter programs that help reduce animal over-population
  • Community education services.

Licensing Your Dog

Online licensing is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the Placer County Licensing website at or by calling our Customer Service line toll-free at 1-855-585-8155, Monday through Friday, during normal business hours.

  • Make sure you live in Placer County. If you live within the city limits of Auburn, Rocklin, or Roseville you need to license with the appropriate city.
  • Submit a copy of a current rabies vaccination certificateA license year is based on the rabies vaccination year, so when your rabies vaccination expires so does your license. If your rabies is going to expire within the next 4 months, we recommend having your dog re-vaccinated prior to applying for a new license.
  • Discounted license rates are available for spayed or neutered animals. You must submit a copy of the spay or neuter certificate issued by your veterinarian.
  • Send appropriate fees with the license application. See Animal License Fees chart below.

If applying by mail, download, complete and enclose the Placer County Animal License Application, with a copy of your pet's current rabies vaccination certificate, spay/neuter certificate (if applicable), and a check or money order made payable to Placer County Animal Services, and mail to:

Placer County Animal Licensing
c/o Pet Data
PO Box 141929
Irving, TX 75014-1929

Animal License Fees

License Fees 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year Late Penalty Duplicate License Tag
Dog license (fixed) $20 $40 $59 $11 $7
Dog license (not fixed) $40 $79 $119 $11 $7
Cat license* (fixed) $5 n/a n/a n/a $7
Cat license* (not fixed) $11 n/a n/a n/a $7

*Cat licensing is voluntary and not required by the County

Kennel Permit/License Amount
Annual license and inspection - 5 to 10 dogs (2 Tags) $176.00
Annual license and inspection - 11 to 15 dogs (4 Tags) $192.00
Annual license and inspection - 16 or more dogs (6 Tags) $210.00
Each additional dog license $1.00
Re-inspection fee (per hour) $100.00
Penalty for failure to procure a license within 30 days / failure to renew license $11.00
Penalty for failure to renew vicious or dangerous animal license/permit $121.00
Penalty for failure to renew kennel license $11.00

Other License Fees Amount
Vicious or dangerous animal - application fee $203.00
Vicious or dangerous animal - annual permit/license fee $111.00
Replacement of lost license tag $7.00
Reimbursement fee to veterinarians/SPCA who sell licenses (per license) $3.00
Senior discount None