About the Assessor
The Assessor’s Office is a Department of local government governed by the California Constitution and the laws passed by the Legislature. The office is managed by an elected official that serves a four-year term. Kristen Spears was elected to Assessor in 2008.
Kristen has been a Placer County resident for 27 years, working and raising three daughters (ages 21, 23 and 26) with her husband of 32 years. She is a graduate of California State University of Sacramento, obtaining her Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Accountancy. Her hobbies include family, horseback riding, and travel.
Kristen joined the Assessor’s Office in 1997 as an Auditor Appraiser, later working as the Assistant Assessor and Operations Manager for four years under Assessor Bruce Dear.
Memberships and Certifications
- Member of the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO)
- 2012 President; Northern California Assessors’ Association
- Active Member of the California Assessors’ Association
- 2013 Secretary; California Assessors’ Association
- State Board of Equalization – Advanced Property Tax Appraiser
- State Board of Equalization - Certified Property Tax Auditor
- Active member of the Auburn Rotary Club