Skip to content

Online Permits Available Soon

Online permits will be available soon to Contractors only.

NOTE: Contractors must have a valid license and Workmans Compensation Certificate on file with this office in order to apply online. If your online information cannot be verified, please call the Auburn Building Division at 530-745-3010 or the Tahoe Building Division at 530-581-6200 during normal business hours.

Online Permits Available Soon

  • Electrical Service Change-Out
  • HVAC Change-Out
  • Reroof
  • Siding Replacement
  • Water Heater Change-Out
  • Window Change-Out
  • Subdivision Permits (from master plans)
  • Swimming Pool
  • Photovoltaic (roof or ground mount)

When the valuation of an addition, alteration or repair to a residential living unit exceeds $1,000.00 and a permit is required, or when one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in an existing residential living unit, smoke detectors shall be installed in accordance with the CDC, Section 310.9.1, CRC 314 and County Code 15.04.050.K. It is the permit holder and owner's responsibility to comply.

Building Permits Cannot Be Issued Online for:

  • Projects that are new structures, additions and major alterations requiring load bearing structural changes
  • Structural demolition
  • Historic structures
  • SB-547 (unreinforced masonry) structures
  • Structures that are currently in the code enforcement process
  • Structures in a flood zone
  • Work on or within mobile/manufactured homes
  • Work which will disturb asbestos
  • Commercial construction, remodel or alteration
  • New utility services
  • Work requiring accessibility compliance
  • Work requiring TRPA approval for projects located in the Tahoe Basin

Permits issued on any of the above structures/projects will not be valid.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms Required

All Permits issued and associated with a residential group “R” dwelling unit or sleeping unit shall conform to the 2013 California Residential Code Requirements for Carbon Monoxide Alarms (Section R315). Provide completed Declaration of Installation to Field Inspector.

Repair and/or Replacement In-Kind

Definition: Repairs which use the same or similar materials in the same or similar location which comply with the currently adopted code. To be issued without plans, such repairs must be limited to 40 lineal feet of wall.

NOTE: When applying for a permit, identify any work that requires relocation of any appliance, equipment, fixture or service in the "Description of Work" to be performed.

Non-Structural Repair In-Kind

Definition: Electrical, mechanical and plumbing work connected with remodeling or damage repair.


  • Kitchen/Bath remodel (no altered walls)
  • Deck Repair
  • Deck Rebuild (if not over 10’ high)
  • Flood Damage (minor non-structural)
  • Other Water Damage (minor non-structural)
  • Fire Damage (minor non-structural)
  • Storm Damage (minor non-structural)
  • Siding, windows, re-roofs and doors


  • New plumbing (sink, dishwasher, etc.) – minimum fees, quantity used for info only
  • New electrical (circuits, subpanel, etc.) – minimum fees, quantity used for info only
  • New mechanical (ductwork, etc.) – minimum fees, quantity used for info only
  • Other non-structural damage (sheetrock, sub-floor, ceiling material) – contract cost

Structural Repair In-Kind

Definition: Wall replacement, cutting holes in roof/walls or removing walls affecting 40 lineal feet or less of wall. The work done meets the definition of conventional light-frame construction in the Building Code and does not require a design analysis. If more than 40 linear feet of wall is affected, plans are required and the permit cannot be issued via the internet.


  • Alteration of walls in connection with remodel
  • Damage repair (structural)
  • Dry rot repair


  • Based on the number of inspections or square footage

Homeowners' Association (HOA) and Design Corridor Requirements

Please click on the HOA's link for a list of HOAs located in the Placer County requiring approval from Planning prior to permit issuance. A HOA approval letter shall be sent to the Planning Division via e-mail ( prior to obtaining Online Permits requiring HOA approval. Planning approval is required if request for permit is located within a Design Corridor.

Permits issued on structures without prior HOA approval when HOA approval is required will not be valid.

Separate Structures Require Separate Permits

Parcels with multiple structures and work being performed on more than one structure will require a separate permit for each structure.

Payment For Online Permits

Payment for Online Permits will be made by utilizing an account with the County of Placer that is opened by the contractor with a deposit of funds. The amount of the initial deposit can be based on anticipated work load and associated permit fees. The contractor will debit the account each time an Online Permit is issued for the amount of the permit fees. The contractor can make additional deposits to the account at any time to cover anticipated future permit fees. It is recommended that a balance be maintained to cover anticipated future permit fees in order to prevent delay in the processing of Online Permits.

For swimming pool safety information, please see refer to (website maintained by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission).