Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County
  • Jobs, Benefits, and Business

    Includes veterans' benefits, starting and running a business, unemployment, County job openings, and selling to the County.

  • Law and Justice

    Includes the courts, most wanted, law enforcement, child support enforcement, sealing record, victims' services, and jury duty.

  • Building, Property, and Home

    Includes planning, building codes and permits, owning and renting a property, and property tax assessments.

  • Health and Family Care

    Includes child and adult health service, food stamps, foster care, mental health, in-home nurse, substance abuse, and child support.

  • Birth, Death, and Marriage

    Includes bereavement, certificates and vital records, and divorce.

  • Environment and Agriculture

    Includes air quality and burn days, garbage and recycling, sewer, conservation, and green energy financing.

  • Animal Services

    Includes adopting a pet, animal control, and local vets and shelters.

  • County and Government

    Includes information on the buildings, county, codes, departments, projects, representation, and voting.

  • Community and Recreation

    Includes activities and events, parks, museums, libraries, and volunteerism.

  • Taxes and Financial Reports

    Property taxes, business taxes, transient occupancy taxes, fines, and financial reports.

  • Transportation and Travel

    Includes passports, bus schedules, and road maintenance.

  • Safety and Emergency

    Includes forest fires and floods, emergency preparation, and emergency response.

Homeowner Information

Did you know that in California no building or structure may be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished unless a separate permit for each building or structure has first been obtained from the building official?

Building permits help verify that work complies with current building codes for safe and habitable homes and buildings. Placer County issues permits for projects in the unincorporated areas of the County. Please contact your local city or town if your project is within city limits of the following communities:

Get Your Building Permit

Here are general steps that homeowners in the unincorporated area of Placer County need to take when making home improvements:

  1. Understand the benefits and financial risks of Owner-Builder permits before applying for your building permit. If you decide to be an Owner-Builder, see below information. You may want to work with a licensed contractor or design professional to plan, design, and complete your project.
  2. Download and review the Single-Family Residence Information pamphlet, which provides useful information on how to obtain a building permit. 
  3. Determine the jurisdiction for your building permit. Projects in city limits require permits from the city, not the county.
  4. Plan out your project and make sure the work will meet current building codes. Many projects will require written plans and other required documents (depending on the type of project) before a permit can be issued, and may require a plan review.
  5. Apply for a building permit for your project.
  6. Schedule inspections during your project.

More permit information for homeowners.

Other Information for Homeowners

Selling a House?

If any work was done on your house without a permit, you must obtain After-the-Fact Building Permits for the work that was done.