Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County
  • Jobs, Benefits, and Business

    Includes veterans' benefits, starting and running a business, unemployment, County job openings, and selling to the County.

  • Law and Justice

    Includes the courts, most wanted, law enforcement, child support enforcement, sealing record, victims' services, and jury duty.

  • Building, Property, and Home

    Includes planning, building codes and permits, owning and renting a property, and property tax assessments.

  • Health and Family Care

    Includes child and adult health service, food stamps, foster care, mental health, in-home nurse, substance abuse, and child support.

  • Birth, Death, and Marriage

    Includes bereavement, certificates and vital records, and divorce.

  • Environment and Agriculture

    Includes air quality and burn days, garbage and recycling, sewer, conservation, and green energy financing.

  • Animal Services

    Includes adopting a pet, animal control, and local vets and shelters.

  • County and Government

    Includes information on the buildings, county, codes, departments, projects, representation, and voting.

  • Community and Recreation

    Includes activities and events, parks, museums, libraries, and volunteerism.

  • Taxes and Financial Reports

    Property taxes, business taxes, transient occupancy taxes, fines, and financial reports.

  • Transportation and Travel

    Includes passports, bus schedules, and road maintenance.

  • Safety and Emergency

    Includes forest fires and floods, emergency preparation, and emergency response.

Encroachment Permit

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work within a Placer County maintained highway easement, or right-of-way. Examples of work requiring an encroachment permit are a residential driveway connection, placing a utility line (water, sewer, stormwater pipe, gas, cable, etc.) under the road or within the road shoulder, using the County road for a special event, or doing any work within a County road easement.

Encroachment Permit Types

Types of Encroachment Permits processed at the CDRA Front Counter are:

  • Residential driveway
  • Traffic control
  • Minor utility work
  • Recordable permits for improvements located within the right-of-way
  • Special events
  • Parking permits

The Department of Public Works (DPW) conditions these permits and inspects the work prior to permit sign-off.

Applicants should apply directly in person at either the Auburn or Tahoe City office Front Counter locations.

Utility Encroachment Permit

Plans for utility undergrounding projects (water, sewer, gas, cable, etc.) within the County right-of-way are reviewed by the CDRA Engineering and Surveying Division (ESD), with the utility company or applicant paying for at-cost review and inspection services to the County and the ESD issuing the Utility Encroachment Permit after DPW approval.

To apply, a completed Utility Encroachment Permit Form and Project Data Sheet along with 5 copies of plans for the proposed work shall be submitted directly to the ESD, Auburn office (regardless of project location within Placer County). Applications may be sent to Rich Kai, Engineering and Surveying Division, 3091 County Center Drive, Suite 120, Auburn, CA 95603.