Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County
  • Jobs, Benefits, and Business

    Includes veterans' benefits, starting and running a business, unemployment, County job openings, and selling to the County.

  • Law and Justice

    Includes the courts, most wanted, law enforcement, child support enforcement, sealing record, victims' services, and jury duty.

  • Building, Property, and Home

    Includes planning, building codes and permits, owning and renting a property, and property tax assessments.

  • Health and Family Care

    Includes child and adult health service, food stamps, foster care, mental health, in-home nurse, substance abuse, and child support.

  • Birth, Death, and Marriage

    Includes bereavement, certificates and vital records, and divorce.

  • Environment and Agriculture

    Includes air quality and burn days, garbage and recycling, sewer, conservation, and green energy financing.

  • Animal Services

    Includes adopting a pet, animal control, and local vets and shelters.

  • County and Government

    Includes information on the buildings, county, codes, departments, projects, representation, and voting.

  • Community and Recreation

    Includes activities and events, parks, museums, libraries, and volunteerism.

  • Taxes and Financial Reports

    Property taxes, business taxes, transient occupancy taxes, fines, and financial reports.

  • Transportation and Travel

    Includes passports, bus schedules, and road maintenance.

  • Safety and Emergency

    Includes forest fires and floods, emergency preparation, and emergency response.

Grading Permits

When is a Grading Permit Required?

The Engineering and Surveying Division issues Grading Permits and investigates grading and drainage complaints. Grading is subject to Placer County Code, Chapter 15, "Grading, Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance," which addresses when a permit is required, and when grading is exempt from permit requirements.

The most common activities requiring a Grading Permit include the following:

  • Fill or excavation greater than 250 cubic yards
  • Cuts or fills exceeding 4 feet in depth
  • Structural retaining walls exceeding 4 feet in total height, as measured from bottom of footing to the top of the wall and/or supporting a surcharge
  • Soil or vegetation disturbances exceeding 10,000 square feet
  • Grading within or adjacent to a drainage course or wetland
  • Grading within a floodplain

The preceding list is not exhaustive, so please refer to the full text of the ordinance language for further information. Also note that different ordinance requirements apply to grading activities east of Donner Summit, and more particularly within the Tahoe basin. Grading permits are required for fill or excavation of 3 cubic yards or more.