Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County

Housing Programs and Activities

Placer County offers several housing programs:

First Time Homebuyer Assistance Program

Loans of up to $100,000 are available  to help families purchase their first home in Placer County. First Time Homebuyer Assistance Program loans help make mortgage payments more affordable.

Applications will only be accepted when the applicant can meet the program requirements and is ready to make a home purchase.

For more information about this program, click each of the following links:

Placer County may have a limited amount of first time homebuyer loan funds available. Applications will be accepted when the applicant meets program requirements and is ready to make a home purchase. Depending on the availability of funds, loans will be provided to qualified applicants with a complete application on a first-come, first-served basis.


Minimum Requirements:

  1. You must be a first time home buyer (as defined in the Program Basics).
  2. You must be pre-approved for a first mortgage loan.
  3. You must have 3% of the total purchase price available at the time of application. These funds cannot be in the form of a loan.
  4. The eligible property must be located in unincorporated Placer County.
  5. The sales price cannot exceed $300,000.

If you currently meet the minimum requirements and would like to be considered for a loan, please read the Program Basics and complete the Program Interest Form (see above links). Mail it to Placer County Planning Services Division, 3091 County Center Drive, Auburn, CA 95603. If you have question or require additional information, please contact the Planning Services Division at (530) 745-3170 or email us.

Contact the Planning Services Division at (530) 745-3170 for information.

CRHMFA Homebuyers Fund (CHF)

CHF is a government entity that provides affordable housing finance options for low-to-moderate income individuals and families in California. CHF arranges mortgage loan programs featuring low interest rates and down payment and/or housing closing cost assistance in a variety of financial forms, for qualifying homebuyers.

Interested persons should contact a representative toll-free at (855) 740-8422. Or visit

Efficiency Dwelling Units and Single Room Occupancy Housing

Ordinances adopted by the Board of Supervisors that change the Placer County Zoning Ordinance:

Housing Rehabilitation Loans

Placer County offers several different opportunities for low-income Placer County residents residing in the unincorporated area of the County to rehabilitate their homes.

State and Federal Grant Programs

Each year Placer County applies for, and may receive, various State and Federal grants from the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME), Affordable Housing Trust Fund Program, and other grant programs. The County then provides these funds, in the form of low-interest loans to low-income households to rehabilitate their homes. The County's primary emphasis is in correcting health and safety issues, but some programs can be used to correct overcrowding as well. The County combines its own Redevelopment tax increment funds with these grant funds for its Housing Rehabilitation Assistance Program.

In addition to home rehabilitation, CDBG also provides grants for public improvements in the form of infrastructure, public facilities, transit, and energy efficiency measures.

HOME funds can be used for individual home rehabilitation or for multi-family facility improvements. They can also be used to provide new, affordable housing.

Affordable Housing Trust Funds originate with developers in-lieu fees for commercial resorts or from residential construction fees and must be used for affordable housing. The State also has a matching grant program, where County funds are matched.

If you have questions about a new or existing CDBG rehabilitation loan, please call the Planning Services Division at 530-745-3170. You may also click one of the following links for more information and/or an interest form.

Housing Rehabilitation Brochures: 

Housing Rehabilitation Applications:

USDA Rural Development Loans and Grants

The USDA Rural Development Department (RDD) has a program that may help you obtain the money you need to repair your home. If you are low-income and own the home that you live in, you may qualify for a loan of up to $20,000 to make needed repairs or improvements. The interest rate is one percent , so you pay as little as $92 per month if you borrow the maximum of $20,000.

In addition, if you are 62 years old or older, you may qualify for a once in a lifetime grant of up to $7,500 to remove health or safety hazards. For more information about the program, including what adjustments may be made to your gross income, please contact the RDD office at (530) 885-7081, Ext. 4. Information is also available on the website,

Handy Person Program - Seniors First

Seniors First is a private, non-profit corporation that provides health and safety repair services free of charge.  Services are provided to very low-, low-, and moderate-income seniors, and very low-, low-, and moderate-income disabled people who are owner-occupants of these residences in the unincorporated areas of Placer County. Seniors First can be reached at 530-889-9500 extension 400 for:

  • Door and window repairs
  • Dead bolt and lock repair and installation
  • Electrical outlets and switches
  • Plumbing repairs
  • Heating and swamp cooler repair
  • Security lights
  • Smoke detector installation/replacement
  • Grab bar installations
  • Light fixture and fluorescent light repairs
  • Ramps 

Services cannot exceed $1,300 and are funded by Placer County. Contact the Planning Services Division at (530) 745-3170 if you have questions.

For Low- and Moderate-Income Owner Occupants - 2011  (Rehab loan application - Owner occupied)

Project GO

Founded in 1978 by a group of community members, Project GO has been approved by the Placer County Board of Supervisors to provide assistance grants to low-income residents for housing weatherization and energy conservation improvements. Their office is located at 801 Vernon Street, Roseville, CA 95678. Interested persons should contact a representative at (916) 782-3443 or (800) 655-7705.

Neighborhood Stabilization Program

The primary goal of the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) is to stabilize neighborhoods. NSP supports property values by reducing the number of vacant, bank-owned homes, improving the homes where needed, and enabling qualified buyers and non-profits to purchase homes. 

Public Database Housing Units

The Public Database of Affordable, Redevelopment-Restricted Rental and Ownership Units and Enforceability is not a list of units for sale, and is updated annually. In accordance with the provisions of Assembly Bill 987, this list shows existing new and substantially rehabilitated housing units that were either (a) developed or otherwise assisted with Low- and Moderate-Income Housing Funds; or (b) otherwise counted toward the Authority's inclusionary and replacement housing obligations imposed by Section 33413 of the Community Redevelopment Law. Also in accordance with the law, this database does not include any property used to confidentially house victims of domestic violence.