Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County

Housing Rehabilitation Loans

The Redevelopment Agency offers several different opportunities for low-income Placer County residents residing in the unincorporated area of the county to rehabilitate their homes.

State and Federal Grant Programs

Each year Placer County applies for, and may receive, various State and Federal grants from the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME), Affordable Housing Trust Fund Program, and other grant programs. The County then provides these funds, in the form of low-interest loans to low-income households to rehabilitate their homes. The County's primary emphasis is in correcting health and safety issues, but some programs can be used to correct overcrowding as well. The Agency combines its own Redevelopment tax increment funds with these grant funds for its Housing Rehabilitation Assistance Program.

In addition to home rehabilitation, CDBG also provides grants for public improvements in the form of infrastructure, public facilities, transit, and energy efficiency measures.

HOME funds can be used for individual home rehabilitation or for multi-family facility improvements. They can also be used to provide new, affordable housing.

Affordable Housing Trust Funds originate with developers in-lieu fees for commercial resorts or from residential construction fees and must be used for affordable housing. The State also has a matching grant program, where County funds are matched.

If you have questions about a new or existing CDBG rehabilitation loan, please call the Redevelopment Agency at 530-745-3150. You may also click one of the following links for more information and/or an interest form.

Housing Rehabilitation Brochures:
For Low- and Moderate-Income Owner Occupants - 2011
For Owner-Investors Renting to Low- and Moderate-Income Households - 2011

Housing Rehabilitation Applications:
For Low- and Moderate-Income Owner Occupants - 2011
For Owner-Investor Renting to Low- and Moderate-Income Households - 2011

USDA Rural Development Loans and Grants

The USDA Rural Development Department (RDD) has a program that may help you obtain the money you need to repair your home. If you are low-income and own the home that you live in, you may qualify for a loan of up to $20,000 to make needed repairs or improvements. The interest rate is one percent , so you pay as little as $92 per month if you borrow the maximum of $20,000.

In addition, if you are 62 years old or older, you may qualify for a once in a lifetime grant of up to $7,500 to remove health or safety hazards. For more information about the program, including what adjustments may be made to your gross income, please contact the RDD office at (530) 885-7081, Ext. 4. Information is also available on the website,