Skip to content

Mandatory Commercial Recycling Regulation

New: Mandatory Commercial Recycling Regulation – Effective July 1, 2012

As of July 1, 2012, state law (AB 341) requires certain businesses and multi-family housing of five or more units, to recycle. See the information below to find out if this law applies to you and if you are in compliance.

Who is affected?

· All businesses, public and private, generating four or more cubic yards of waste weekly, including but not limited to:

o Corporations

o Government Entities

o Hotels

o Restaurants

o Retail Establishments

o Schools

o Multi-family housing with five or more units

How can affected entities comply with the new State Regulation?

One Big Bin – The good news is that businesses subscribing to garbage collection services in Placer County are already in compliance with the new regulations. That’s because with the One Big Bin program, garbage is taken to a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) where most recyclables are separated from the garbage for you! Learn more at

Are additional recycling opportunities available?

· Self Haul – Separate your recyclables yourself and take them to one of the following:

Western Placer County

o Western Placer Waste Management Authority MRF

o Auburn, Meadow Vista or Foresthill Transfer Station; click here for more information.

o Buyback/Drop-off facility

Eastern Placer County

o Eastern MRF

o Buyback/Drop-off facility

· Hauler Recycling Programs – Subscribe, free of charge, to separate recycling services:

o Office Paper

o Cardboard

o Bottles and cans (eastern Placer County restaurant services)

Free site visits from your hauler are available, upon request, to help you determine ways to improve your recycling. To request a site visit, call:

o Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal at (530) 583-0148 (eastern Placer County)

o Recology Auburn Placer at (530) 885-3735 or visit (western Placer County)

Still more questions?

· For more information on the Mandatory Commercial Recycling law and the responsibilities of business owners, visit the CalRecycle website:

· To learn how the MRF works in Western Placer County, visit and watch the video

· Show your customers that you implement business practices which increase sustainability through solid waste reduction and recycling through the Placer Green Business Program (certifications also available for energy and water efficiency, green building, or alternative transportation and pollution prevention). Learn more at

· Contact Placer County staff at