The County offers 10 Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) events collection days each year for Tahoe area residents and commercial customers. Both are asked to schedule an appointment to drop off HHWs such as paint, paint products, household batteries, car batteries and fluids, pesticides, household cleaners and used oil and filters.
To schedule an appointment for one of the ten HHW days or for questions about acceptable wastes, please call 530-583-0148. Quantities are limited to 15 gallons or 125 pounds per visit. Services are available to residential customers within Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal Service area only.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE DAYS 2014
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
To schedule your appointment please call the Eastern Regional Landfill Offices at (530)583-0148
**CONDITIONALLY EXEMPT SMALL QUANITY GENERATOR**
If your business generates less than 220 pounds or 27 gallons of HHW per month, you may qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG).
- For more information about CESQG, please call the Placer County Environmental Health Department at (530) 745-2300 and ask for the Hazardous Materials Section.
- To schedule an appointment for CESQG drop-off, please call Eastern Regional MRF at 530-583-0148. Costs may apply.
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS INCLUDE:
- Used Motor Oil — Clean*
- Oil Filters*
- Antifreeze — Clean*
- Vehicle (Lead Acid) Batteries*
- Small Household Batteries*
- Fluorescent Tubes*
- Mercury Containing Devices such as Thermometers and Thermostats*
- Latex Paint
- Compressed Gas Cylinders LESS than 5 Gallons (i.e. camping-sized)
- Brake/Transmission Fluid
- Contaminated Oil & Gasoline
- Other Automotive Products
- Household Cleaners
- Floor & Furniture Cleaners
- Pool Chemicals
- Paint — Oil-Based
- Paint Strippers
- Lacquer & Lacquer Thinners
- Varnish & Shellac
- Small Aerosol Cans
- Gasoline/Kerosene & Other Flammables
- Compressed Gas Cylinders LESS than 20 lbs. (i.e. BBQ-sized)
- Most Products Labeled DANGER, CAUTION, WARNING, FLAMMABLE, or POISON.
*These items may also be dropped off for free at the Eastern Regional MRF during normal business hours. However they are also accepted on the HHW collection days.
UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS INCLUDE:
- Medical Wastes
- Ammunition and Explosives
- Radioactive Materials.
- Compressed Gas/ Propane Cylinders GREATER than 5 Gallons or 20 lbs.
It is important to carefully transport your unwanted HHWs. Follow these helpful tips to ensure safe transportation.
- When possible, keep waste in its original container and tightly sealed
- Label all materials that are no longer in their original container
- Do not bring leaky containers — if a container is leaking, place in another tightly sealed, labeled container to prevent spilling
- Keep containers upright while transporting
- Do not place waste in plastic bags
- Transport containers in the truck of your car or secure in your truck bed