In addition to the thousands of photos and objects on display in our museums, we are also in charge of keeping tens of thousands more safe and organized. The Archives and Research Center is in charge of photos, records, and oral histories while Collections takes care of three dimensional artifacts.
Archives & Research Center
The Placer County Archives and Research Center is a repository for records generated by the county and a local history and genealogy research center. The collection of county records includes records dating from the beginning of the county in 1851. This includes over 15,000 photographs, as well as original bound copies of Placer County's first newspaper, the Placer Herald.
11526 C Avenue, Auburn CA
Open Monday, Tuesday and Friday, 9:00 am to noon and 12:30 to 3:00
Open Wednesday and Thursday by special appointment
Please call for appointments
Our searchable database of the Placer Herald, Births, Marriages, Deaths, and Misc. Notes. (1863-1915). is now online!
The searchable index for our collection of transcribed Oral Histories is now online!
Contents of the Archives and Research Center Include:
- Probate 1851-1960
- Court Case Files 1851-1925
- Assessment Rolls and Maps 1851-1961
- Record of Wills 1874-1963
- Board of Supervisor's Minutes 1852-1980
- Naturalization Papers 1852-1939
- Deed Books 1851-1960
- Great Register of Voters 1867-1974
- Department of Education Records 1895-1997
- Mining Records 1856-1947
The Placer County Collections is where thousands of artifacts that chronicle several hundred years of life in the county are stored. The temperature and humidity controlled storage facility is engineered to keep our history safe and intact.
11526 C Avenue
Open by appointment only
Email - Kasia Woroniecka
In addition to storing and caring for artifacts, we also actively collect items that help tell the story of the county.
We have created new guidelines to help us collect a sample of what is new, current, and innovative in Placer County. The goal of contemporary collecting is to:
- Reach out to people and represent their lives and stories
- Develop partnerships
- Improve the quality of museums collections
- Make collections more accessible and relevant to different types of visitors
The materials collected must have relevance to:
- Significant event or local project of importance that occurred in Placer County
- Local business or school activity
- local individual or group
If you have something that you think would help us tell the story of the county, call 530-889-7705
11526 C Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603