In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program will help pay for services provided to you so that you can remain safely in your own home. To be eligible, you must be over 65 years of age, disabled, or blind. Disabled children are also potentially eligible for IHSS. IHSS is considered an alternative to out-of-home care, such as nursing homes or board and care facilities.
The types of services which can be authorized through IHSS are housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming, and paramedical services), accompaniment to medical appointments, and protective supervision for the mentally impaired.
To apply for In-Home Supportive Services, please fill out the two above forms and fax them to 530-886-3690 ATTN: IHSS INTAKE or call the Placer County Adult Intake number at 916-787-8860 or toll free at 888-886-5401.
Who is Eligible for IHSS?
Eligibility criteria for all IHSS applicants and recipients:
- You must physically reside in the United States.
- You must also be a California resident.
- You must have a Medi-Cal eligibility determination.
- You must live at home or an abode of your own choosing (acute care hospital, long-term care facilities, and licensed community care facilities are not considered "own home").
- You must submit a completed Health Care Certification form.
How Do I Apply For IHSS?
You can apply for IHSS services by calling the Placer County Adult Intake number at 916-787-8860 or toll free at 888-886-5401. Adult Intake will ask for some basic information in order to send you an IHSS application packet and establish your protected start date. You have the right to file an application and receive a written determination within 30-45 days.
Why Do I Need Medi-Cal?
Your IHSS funding comes through the California Medi-Cal program.
If you do not have Medi-Cal:
- Call the Medi-Cal application phone line at 530-880-7610, 916-784-6000 or 1-888-385-5160. Then request a Medi-Cal application. You may also access the application on-line at the following web-site: http://www.mybenefitscalwin.org
- Mail or take your application with the required verifications (proof) to one of three Placer County locations:
- The Auburn office located
- 11519 B Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603 or call
- The Roseville office located
- 1000 Sunset Blvd, Rocklin, CA 95765 or call
- The North Lake Tahoe office located
- 5225 No. Lake Blvd, Carnelian Bay, CA 96140 or call
- If you don’t have all your verifications, or are not sure of what you need to submit, please send what you have gathered. You may send the rest later. The earlier we receive your application, the earlier your case will be processed and your Medi-Cal benefits can begin.
- If you get SSI/SSP payments, the Social Security administration office automatically establishes Medi-Cal for you. No separate application for Medi-Cal is needed. You should receive your Medi-Cal card (BIC) through the mail.
Note that once you’ve been approved for IHSS benefits, it is imperative that you maintain your Medi-Cal eligibility going forward, or you will also forfeit your IHSS services.
What is Health Certification?
As of August 1, 2011, Health Certification, by a Licensed Health Care Provider, must be established. Your health care provider will need to certify that you are unable to independently perform one or more activities of daily living and to verify that one or more IHSS services is required in order to prevent out of home care. The certification document will be mailed to you in the IHSS application packet.
What Happens Next?
A County Social Worker will interview you at your home to determine your eligibility and need for IHSS. Based on your ability to safely perform certain tasks for yourself, the Social Worker will assess the types of services you need and the number of hours the county will authorize for each of these services. This assessment will include information given by you and, if appropriate, by your family, friends, and/or physician or other licensed health care professional.
A completed Health Care Certification (SOC 873) must be received by the county prior to authorization of services.
You will be notified if IHSS has been approved or denied. If denied, you will be notified of the reason for the denial. If approved, you will be notified of the services and the number of hours per month which have been authorized for you.
If you are approved for IHSS, you must hire someone (your individual provider) to perform the authorized services. You are considered your provider's employer and, therefore, it is your responsibility to hire, train, supervise, and fire this individual.
How Do I Find an IHSS Provider?
You may select a family member, a friend, or advertise in the community-at-large for a provider. IHSS will pay spouses and parents of minor children to provide care under certain circumstances. Every IHSS case is evaluated separately, so the circumstances under which these services are granted vary greatly. You may select a provider from the Provider Registry maintained by the Placer County Public Authority at 530-886-3680.
I’m Ready to Hire My Provider. What Should Happen Next?
You and your provider should contact the Public Authority office at 530-886-3680 to get scheduled for a Provider Orientation. Your provider must complete the following before being paid: attend a Provider Orientation meeting, complete a Department of Justice criminal background check and fingerprinting, and submit the required Provider Enrollment forms.
Once your provider has completed the enrollment process, he/she will begin receiving timesheets issued from the State.
For information for IHSS Providers click here to go to the Public Authority web page.
For a printable IHSS brochure.
Mail: 11512 B Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Other Important Contacts
Public Authority: 530-886-3680
11533 C Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
IHSS Payroll: 916-872-6555
To Report Public Assistance Fraud, including IHSS, please call 916-784-6180