Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)
The California market place for insurance under the Affordable Care Act is now open for business. Open enrollment for insurance programs beginning in January 2014 started on October 1, 2013 and will continue until March 31, 2014.
If you need information about affordable healthcare click here to go to Covered CA, California’s healthcare marketplace:
Or you can call 888-300-1506 to speak to a customer service representative.
Am I Eligible
Covered California™ will make it simple and more affordable for you and millions of other Californians to get quality health insurance that can't be canceled or denied because of a pre-existing medical condition or if you get sick. If you:
- Are a citizen or have Legal Permanent Residence status
- Live in California
- Are not covered by any other insurance (including MediCare)
- And are not incarcerated
You could be eligible to insurance benefits through Covered CA.
Essential Health Benefits
Starting in 2014, the Federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly referred to as "Obamacare", requires that all health plans must provide ten common services, known as essential health benefits. These benefits include:
- Ambulatory services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventative and wellness services
- Pediatric services, including dental and vision care
Cost of Services
Health care coverage through Covered CA is very affordable. There are 2 ways that premiums and out of pocket costs can be reduced even further.
- Premium Assistance is available through Advanced Premium Tax Credits. These credits can be immediately applied to your monthly costs or received as a lump sum through your tax return.
- Cost Sharing Subsidies reduce the out of pocket expenses which include co-payments for doctor visits or prescriptions.
Depending upon family size and total gross income, you may be eligible for one or both of these cost saving measures. In some cases, individuals and families may be eligible to no cost health benefits offered through expanded Medi-Cal programs.
Use the Shop and Compare Tool (https://www.coveredca.com/shopandcompare/) to learn more about plan selection and if you qualify for Premium Assistance, Cost Sharing Subsidies and/or Medi-Cal.
Frequently Asked Questions