How to Get a Library Card
Applications for a free Placer County Library card are available at all of our locations. You must apply in person for your card. For your convenience, you may download an application from this webpage, complete it at home, and bring it into any of one of our 12 branches along with your photo ID and proof of mailing address.
Library Card Applications & Instructions
Downloadable applications for Adults and Teens (Ages 14 and up)
Downloadable applications for Children (Ages 0 -13)
- Fill out the application online and print, OR print it and fill it out by hand. Be sure to sign it.
- If you are 18 or over, you will need to present photo ID & proof of mailing address along with your completed application
- If you have no proof of mailing address, you may obtain an eCard (with your completed application & photo ID).
An eCard allows you to use the public computers and databases. eCard does not allow you to check items out of the library.
- Children's library card applications need to be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
Acceptable ID Types
- Current Driver’s License (CA or out of state)
- Current California ID card
- Military ID
- Tribal ID (Native American)
- Prison ID
- Matricula Consular
- Resident Alien Card
As a government entity, the Placer County Library has a responsibility,as defined by law, to protect information supplied to us by patrons. The Library has a secure system and does not share patron information with other agencies. Please note: To gain access to your child's account in the library, you must have your child or your child's card or card number with you.
Library Card Agreement
By accepting a Placer County Library card, the cardholder agrees to:
- Present card each time he/she borrows library materials
- Be responsible for fines incurred and replacement cost of lost or damaged materials checked out on the card
- Abide by Placer County Library policies
- Report address, phone, or email change
- Report lost or stolen card promptly
Library Fines and Fees
- Overdue Fines: $.25 per item, per day, to a maximum of $5.00
- Replacement Charge for Lost Library Materials: Price of item plus $10.00 non-refundable processing fee
- Charge for Damaged Materials: Based on damage
Fees for Services
- Library Card Replacement Fee: $1.00
- Service Charge for Account Referral to Collection Agency: $25.00
- Returned Check Charge: $60.00
- Interlibrary Loan Search Fee: $3.00 per item, plus any charges from lending library
- Reserved use of a community room is $15.00 per hour.
- Computer printouts and copies: $0.15
- Microfilm printouts: $0.25 (Auburn Library only)
Acceptable Forms of Payment
- All Placer County Libraries accept cash or checks.
- Checks are accepted in person or via mail. We do not recommend that cash be sent through the mail.
- Credit or debit cards are accepted at Auburn, Granite Bay, and Rocklin Libraries.
- Credit or debit card payments are not accepted by phone or online, but must be paid in person.
- Acceptable cards: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Diners Club, JCB.
- The library does not not accept American Express.
Library Rules of Conduct
Search the Catalog