Kids & Parents
Summer Reading Fun for All
Got plans for the summer? We do! Join us for free activities and events as we Read to the Rhythm! We'll bring the stories, the food, the performers, and the fun. You bring You! Full Schedule of Events
Great Reads for Kids
Accelerated Reader & Scholastic Reading Counts
TumbleBook Library: Books that read to you. Click on the link and read along.
Download digital magazines from zinio. Learn more here.
Download e-Books and e-audiobooks from OverDrive's Library To Go. Sign in with your library card number and PIN.
Download e-Books from enki electronic books. Sign in with your library card number and PIN.
Homework Help and more
brainfuse HelpNow!: Live Tutoring, Homework Help, and Skill Building. Log in with your library card number. Generously supported by the Placer County Literacy Support Council.
Kids Search: Find information from magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias and more. Log in with your library card number.
Student Research Center Research tools for junior high and high school students. Sources include magazines, newspapers and encyclopedias. Log in with your library card number.
NoveList answers the question: What should I read next? Log in with your library card number.
Gale Virtual Reference Library e-Book articles from trusted, authoritative reference works. Includes: Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia, American Decades (includes Primary Sources such as speeches, scripts, and letters), Complete Human Diseases and Conditions, Encyclopedia of Global Warming, Countries and their Cultures, Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations, Worldmark Encyclopedia of the States. Password is your library card number.
- ALA Great Websites for Kids Tips, facts, plus a link to over 700 great websites for kids, parents, and teachers!
- AR Bookfinder.com Search for Accelerated Reader books by author, title, subject or book level.
- Sylvan Book Adventure A list of books for children that lists their reading level. Appropriate for children and parents looking for age- and skill-appropriate books.
Get times & locations for library-wide children's programming: Preschool Storytime, Mother Goose on the Loose, Paws to Read, plus special events and activities.
ELF™ Child-Safe Browser
Access the library's Early Literacy Station from your home computer by installing the free child safe ELF browser. The ELF browser allows young children to safely explore fun and engaging internet resources. Click the AWE icon above to learn how.
Parental Assistance Practices
In response to requests from local residents, the Placer County Library Advisory Board adopted a series of staff recommendations as library policies and practices at its meeting on Tuesday, June 29, 1999.
The policies and practices listed below continue the library’s ongoing efforts to work closely with parents to be sure the library meets the goals parents set for their children. The library has always strongly encouraged parents to participate actively in their children's selection of library materials.
- Library staff will work with parents who are educating their children at home, to develop reading lists for their children.
Parental Guidance Provisions
- At a parent’s direction, library staff will add a No Videos designation to a child’s library card, to prevent the child from checking out library videos.
- Library staff will work with parents to create library materials lists for their children’s reading, listening, and viewing, to meet their family’s educational and personal development goals.
- County libraries will post the Motion Picture Association ratings code near the videos, to assist parents in their decision-making.
The Advisory Board reaffirmed the current Library Internet policy, including the requirement that all library Internet users sign the Library’s Acceptable Use Policy .(Staff monitor Internet use regularly to prevent people from accessing obscene sites.)
Library staff will offer annual classes on Internet use for families and children at all county library branches.
Library staff will develop and provide parents and other library patrons with lists of Web sites for children and lists of Web sites about safe Internet use.
Finally, the Advisory Board adopted Libraries: An American Value as a library policy. In 1998/99, Placer County library patrons checked out more than 720,000 pieces of material. Library staff received three or four complaints about content.
Cool Sites for Parents
- Common Sense Media: Rates children's and teens' entertainment
- First5California The first place to go for everything children 0 - 5.
- Family Place Library Resources Parent education and family support resources, including early childhood development, literacy, and education; books and toys for children; and Get Ready to Read! resources.
- US Department of Education Publications of interest to parents and educators regarding everything from behavior to homework.
Search the Library Catalog
Find books, audiobooks, eBooks & eAudio, DVDs and more
Access your Account
Renew, place holds, view checkouts