Placer Adult Literacy Service (PALS)
PALS provides adults with the tools to change their lives by giving them the reading, writing, and basic math skills needed to earn a living, stay healthy and improve our community. Use the PALS contact form to contact us for more information.
Family Literacy Day at the Auburn Library
Join us on Saturday, September 20th from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. for free family oriented activities including: storytimes, crafts, books and more, PLUS a special appearance by "Sweetie" the dog. View the flyer here.
We Teach and Help Improve
- Reading Skills
- Writing Skills
- Computer Skills
- We also offer Job Search and GED Help
Did You Know
Adults who read, raise children who will do better in school and life.
- Is the foundation of learning
- Empowers adults to make a better life and world themselves and their families
- Helps families be healthier, support themselves through work, become better citizens and create a more fair and just society
Won't you Join us?
Become a Volunteer Literacy Coach!
Volunteer Literacy Coaches work with adults who want to improve their literacy skills.
How does it work?
- Learners are assessed, then matched one-on-one with a volunteer coach.
- Literacy Coach and learner meet at a time and place convenient to both.
- Learner Centered
- Learner Goal Oriented
A learner in the program should be:
- 16 years or older
- Out of school
- Able to speak English well enough to request services
- Able to meet with a Literacy Coach on a regular basis
A Literacy Coach in the program should be:
- 18 years or older
- Proficient in both spoken and written English
- Able to participate in a Literacy Coach training
- Able to meet with learner on regular basis
- Able to commit to volunteering for a minimum of 6 months
Upcoming Literacy Coach Trainings:
Trainings are held approximately four times per year. Use the PALS contact form to contact us for more information.
Literacy Support Council of Placer County
Formed in 1991, the Literacy Support Council of Placer County is a non-profit, volunteer run organization, whose sole purpose is to support the Placer Adult Literacy Service. Meetings are held 1 pm on the 4th Tuesday of the month in the community room of the library listed below. All meetings begin at 1:00 p.m. Boosters are always needed.... Come join us! The public is welcome.
Additional information is available by visiting the Literacy Support Council at http://lscplacer.blogspot.com or emailing LSCPlacer@yahoo.com.
Literacy Support Council of Placer County mailing address: P.O. Box 5291 Auburn, CA 95604-5291
Become a Reading Booster
Have a passion for promoting the importance of reading? Want to support the improvement of reading skills for the adults in your community? Become a Reading Booster!
Find out more about what it means to become a Reading Booster .
Search the Catalog