Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County
  • Jobs, Benefits, and Business

    Includes veterans' benefits, starting and running a business, unemployment, County job openings, and selling to the County.

  • Law and Justice

    Includes the courts, most wanted, law enforcement, child support enforcement, sealing record, victims' services, and jury duty.

  • Building, Property, and Home

    Includes planning, building codes and permits, owning and renting a property, and property tax assessments.

  • Health and Family Care

    Includes child and adult health service, food stamps, foster care, mental health, in-home nurse, substance abuse, and child support.

  • Birth, Death, and Marriage

    Includes bereavement, certificates and vital records, and divorce.

  • Environment and Agriculture

    Includes air quality and burn days, garbage and recycling, sewer, conservation, and green energy financing.

  • Animal Services

    Includes adopting a pet, animal control, and local vets and shelters.

  • County and Government

    Includes information on the buildings, county, codes, departments, projects, representation, and voting.

  • Community and Recreation

    Includes activities and events, parks, museums, libraries, and volunteerism.

  • Taxes and Financial Reports

    Property taxes, business taxes, transient occupancy taxes, fines, and financial reports.

  • Transportation and Travel

    Includes passports, bus schedules, and road maintenance.

  • Safety and Emergency

    Includes forest fires and floods, emergency preparation, and emergency response.

Family Medical Leave Act / California Family Rights Act

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the California Family Rights Act (CFRA) are Federal and State laws that typically run concurrently. These laws require Placer County, as an employer, to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to eligible employees for certain family and medical reasons.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is FMLA/CFRA?

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the California Family Rights Act (CFRA) are federal and state laws that typically run concurrently. These laws require Placer County, as an employer, to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to eligible employees for certain family and medical reasons.

What types of leave of absence qualify for FMLA / CFRA?

Leave is granted for the following reasons:

  • Your own serious health condition that makes you unable to perform your job. A "serious health condition" under FMLA/CFRA includes an illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involves inpatient care or continuing treatment; or
  • To care for your newborn child, newly adopted child or newly placed foster care child; or
  • To care for your spouse, son or daughter, or parent, who has a serious health condition.

Who is eligible for FMLA / CFRA?

You are eligible for FMLA/CFRA if you have been employed with Placer County for a minimum of 12 months and have worked at least 1250 hours in the preceding 12 months (including extra help hours).

How should I notify Placer County that I would like to take a leave of absence?

Submit to your supervisor as soon as possible:

  • An original health care provider's note indicating the need for a leave of absence and the expected date of return from the leave of absence; and
  • An original Employee Request for Leave form.

Why do I want to request an FMLA / CFRA leave?

FMLA/CFRA allows for job and benefit protection for up to 12 weeks in a designated 12-month period.

Will the County notify me if I am eligible for FMLA / CFRA?

Once the Personnel Department receives notification of your leave from your department, your eligibility for FMLA/CFRA will be verified. We will also send you a request for a Medical Certification of a Serious Health Condition form. Your health care provider or your family member's health care provider, depending on the situation, must complete this document. The completed Medical Certification of a Serious Health Condition form must be returned to the Placer County Personnel Department by the date specified in the letter.

When does an FMLA / CFRA leave begin?

Providing you, or an eligible family member have a serious health condition and meet the eligibility criteria as outlined above, the FMLA/CFRA leave begins on the fourth day absent from work due to this condition. FMLA/CFRA run concurrently in most cases.

What is the maximum FMLA / CFRA time?

The maximum leave is:

  • Fulltime:Up to 12 work weeks during a designated 12-month period; or
  • Part-time: The equivalent of 12 regularly scheduled work weeks.

CFRA allows for parents (both mother and father) to bond with a newborn child, newly adopted child or newly placed foster care child for up to 12 weeks. However, this leave must be concluded within one year of the child's birth or placement in your home if adopted or if a foster child. If both parents work for Placer County this leave is limited to a total of twelve weeks shared between both employees.

How is FMLA / CFRA time calculated?

Placer County uses the 'rolling forward date' method to determine FMLA/CFRA eligibility and calculate the 12­ week period. The first day of an eligible FMLA/CFRA leave is designated as your rolling date. This date becomes your permanent rolling date with Placer County and is used to determine eligibility and to calculate the 12-week period for future leaves. Provided you meet the eligibility requirements, you are entitled to a new FMLA/CFRA period every twelve months from your designated rolling date.

Can I use my sick leave, vacation and CTO accruals while on FMLA / CFRA?

 Employees must use their sick leave while on a FMLA/CFRA leave due to your own or an eligible family member's serious health condition. When sick leave is exhausted, employees are required to utilize all leave balances (i.e. vacation, floating holiday, CTO, etc.) for the duration of the leave or until his/her leave balances have been exhausted.  Once the balances have been exhausted the employee will be placed in an unpaid status for the duration of the approved leave.

When taking leave under CFRA to bond with your healthy newborn, adopted, or foster care child, you will be required to utilize all leave balances (except sick leave). 

What happens to my insurance benefits while on a medical leave?

If you are taking medical leave and covered under FMLA/CFRA your health insurance premiums will continue to be covered the same as if you are working. If you fail to return to return to work after the FMLA leave, Placer County will recover its share of health plan premiums paid during a period of unpaid FMLA leave.

  • Paid Status (using sick/vacation/CTO/Management Leave accruals)
    • Benefit premiums continue to be paid through the payroll process and all your benefits remain intact.
  • Unpaid Status (off payroll)
    • While you are on FMLA, Placer County will pay the employer share of health, dental and vision premiums for up to 12 weeks. You will be responsible for your normal employee share. The Personnel Department will notify you of premiums due
  • Non-FMLA Leave
    • If you are on a non-FMLA leave of absence, you may be responsible for both the employee and employer premiums. Please contact the Personnel Department at (530) 889-4060 for premium costs.

FMLA / CFRA / PDL leaves normally run concurrently with a Workers’ Compensation leave.

For additional information pertaining to FMLA go to