Skip to content

Traffic advisory: Caltrans will close I-80 in both directions at the Magra overpass for six hours from 11:00 PM Tuesday, September 23 until 5:00 AM Wednesday, September 24.  Visit for more details including detour routing.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that you were not able to find the answer to, please read
through the following...the answer may be here!  If not, please feel free to office
call our or send an e-mail to have your question(s) answered.  Check back often,
this area will be updated.

How can I file a restraining order?

Restraining Orders are handled through the following Placer County Superior Court offices.

  • Domestic relations (i.e. husband, wife or known relative)  Family Law Division - 530-886-1212
  • Unknown/no relation to subject  Civil Division - 530-889-6560

Who do I call to pick up a wild animal?

If the animal is found in an unincorporated area of Placer County (outside city/town) limits, you may call Placer County Animal Control at (530) 886-5500, otherwise please contact your city's Animal Control.

Why is a body brought to the coroner’s office?

The remains of deceased persons are brought to the Coroner’s Office because California State Law requires the coroner to investigate deaths of persons dying from criminal violence, by accident, by suicide, sudden unexpected deaths, (without attending physician), any suspicious or unusual manner, or when the decedent is unidentified. 

When is an autopsy performed?

Not all cases that are transported to the coroner’s office are autopsied. Cases where no " foul play" is suspected and evidence of natural death is present, the coroner will decide whether an autopsy is required

Does the coroner need permission from the next-of-kin for an autopsy?

California Law provides that the coroner does not need permission for an autopsy. The office of the coroner will attempt to comply with the wishes of the next-of-kin, if this does not conflict with the duties of the coroner as charged by California Law

What is an autopsy and is there a charge for it?

An autopsy is a systematic examination by a Pathologist of the body of a deceased person for the purpose of determining the cause of death. A record is made of the findings of the autopsy including microscopic and toxicology laboratory tests. 

How will the body be released?

Routinely, the coroner releases the body to a licensed funeral director. The next-of-kin of the decedent should notify a funeral director who, in turn, will arrange the transportation for the decedent to the funeral home and obtain the necessary documents for burial or cremation. 

How can the personal effects and other valuables of the decedent be obtained?

The coroner is responsible for personal effects of the decedent, until they are released to the next-of-kin. If items are not released to the next-of-kin at the scene of the death, the items will be inventoried and secured at the Sheriff’s Department. These items can be released to the next-of-kin, when the next-of-kin contacts the Coroner’s Department for an appointment.

How long does it take to establish cause of death?

Normally, a signed death certificate accompanies the body when it is released from the county morgue; however, there are times when a "pending" death certificate is issued. This is the result of insufficient information being available immediately after the autopsy is completed. This "pending" death certificate enables the funeral services and burial to take place while additional chemical tests, examination and investigation to continue. The "pending" will be amended when the case is completed. 

When will the autopsy report and coroner’s report become available?

Both reports will usually take between six to eight weeks to complete. When they are complete, they are public information and can be released to anyone who requests a copy. The cost of these reports is $35.00 for both. The first copy to the next-of-kin is free. The Placer County Coroner does not distribute death certificates to the public or family members. To obtain a certified copy of a death certificate contact Placer County Vital Statistics (530) 889-7158.