Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County

Placer County Offering Class on Temporary Food Facilities

February 17, 2010

Are you in charge of a community event in which food is served? Does your service club, youth group, school or political organization sell food at community events, such as fairs and festivals? If so, you need to be aware of state law governing the sanitation requirements for Temporary Food Facilities - the California Retail Food Code Law or CRFC.

Placer County’s Environmental Health Division’s Consumer Protection Section will be holding a class on temporary food facilities, designed to help event coordinators and sellers keep food safe and comply with the law.

The first class of the 2010 season will be held on Thursday March 4, 2010, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm at the Placer County Environmental Health Department. The class will take place in the Community Development Resource Center, 3091 County Center Drive in Auburn, in the Cypress room. The class is free.

“Keeping food safe during outdoor events can be a challenge,” declared Richard Brown, Supervising Registered Environmental Health Specialist, Consumer Protection Team. “That’s why our Consumer Protection Team is here as a resource, to provide you with as much information and training as possible. That’s also why the state’s California Retail Food Code Laws set guidelines, such as provisions for washing hands and utensils.”

“Some kinds of food selling booths bring little or no risk – such as selling canned soft drinks and commercially-packaged cookies. However, when volunteers actually prepare foods more likely to cause food borne illness, they must use much more stringent preparation and storage guidelines. Our staff will help guide you through the requirements, the associated risks and the easiest solutions for your organization.

“The Consumer Protection Team will also explain the permit application processes and other issues pertaining to each specific event.”

To receive more information or to make a reservation, please call 530-745-2300.