Skip to content
Placer County, CA
Return to Home Placer County

Ceremony Dedicates Liberty Elm in Loomis

November 19, 2010

Placer County Supervisor Jim Holmes, members of the Placer County Veterans Advisory Group and others dedicated a Liberty Elm in recognition of Veterans Day, 2010.

Seated In the front row, from the left, are Earl Chinnock, John Piches, Jerry Winter
and Fuzzy Jarnagin. In the back, from the left, are Supervisor Jim Holmes,
Charles Peterson, Russ Kelley, Tom Millward, Jim Berg, Gene Freeland, Rob Rash,
Terry Crouson, Edward Whitaker, Tom Seth and Rick Buckman, the county veterans
service officer.

The elm was planted on the grounds of the Loomis Library, across from the Loomis Veterans Memorial Hall. The ceremony took place on Tues., Nov. 9, 2010.

District 3 Supervisor Jim Holmes led the effort to acquire the Liberty Elm and plan the dedication. “The Liberty Tree honors the freedoms we enjoy as Americans, and reminds us of the need to be vigilant in protecting them,” he said.

The memorial includes a special plaque which recounts the history of Boston’s Liberty Elm, an American elm, which was the rallying place for the Sons of Liberty in the American Revolution.

The memorial was funded by the nonprofit Elm Research Institute, which is helping communities plant disease-resistant American Elms to commemorate the country’s founding and its freedoms.

According to the Elm Research Institute, the Liberty Tree, an American elm, was one of this country’s first symbols of freedom. On the morning of Aug. 14, 1775, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp Act. From that day forward, that elm became known as the “Liberty Tree.” For the next 10 years, it was used for countless meetings, speeches and celebrations, and often served as the rallying point for the Sons of Liberty. In August of 1775, as a last act of violence prior to their evacuation of Boston, British soldiers cut it down because it bore the name “Liberty.”

Top