COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 24, 2012
Jack Duran, District 1 Holly Heinzen, Interim County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Kirk Uhler, District 4
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5, Chairwoman
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you require disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
North Tahoe Event Center
8318 North Lake Boulevard
Kings Beach, CA 96145
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Duran.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – 1) Joanne Neft, announced the launching of the new cook book on April 28, 2012 at the Auburn Farmers Market and May 6, 2012 at Bushnell Nursery in Granite Bay. Ms. Neft also provided copies of the April/May Sac Town Magazine noting there is an article focusing on Placer County agriculture. 2) Angela Tahti, Arts Council of Placer County, spoke about Out Side the Box Benefit/Auction to be held on May 19, 2012 to support promotions and artists and organizations throughout the county.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – None.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Presentation of a Commendation honoring North Tahoe Fire Protection District Chief, Duane Whitelaw, for 27 years of service in the North Tahoe Fire District of which over 20 years were served as Fire Chief.
1. NORTH LAKE TAHOE RESORT ASSOCIATION - Presentation by the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association regarding activities planned and underway consistent with the agreement between the Resort Association and Placer County. No action was taken.
2. FACILITY SERVICES/TAHOE TRUCKEE DISPOSAL COMPANY, INC., AND EASTERN REGIONAL SANITARY LANDFILL, INC. – Resolution 2012-98 adopted authorizing the Chair to sign the Fourteenth Amendment to the Agreement for Solid Waste Handling Services with Placer County Eastern Regional Sanitary Landfill, Inc. (ERL Inc.) and Tahoe Truckee Disposal Co., Inc. (TTD) to increase processing fees paid to ERL Inc. and resulting in no additional garbage collection or tipping fees to the public for FY 2012-13.
MOTION Duran/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Holmes temporarily absent)
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT – Presentation regarding the current status of the Tahoe City Downtown Association and North Tahoe Business Association.
a. Alcohol Ban/Chambers Landing Beach – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, modifying Chapter 9 of the Placer County Code designating the dates of July 1 through July 6 annually as summer holiday periods banning alcohol, at Chambers Landing Beach located in Homewood, California. MOTION Duran/Holmes/Unanimous
b. Alcohol Ban/Truckee River - Resolution 2012-101 adopted designating the dates of July 1 through July 6 annually as summer holiday periods when Section 9.08.030 of the Placer County Code, banning alcohol on the Truckee River, will be effective.
5. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING:
a. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency Draft Regional Plan – Received an update on the status of the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA) Regional Plan by the Community Development/Resource Agency and County Executive Office staff. No action taken.
b. Tahoe Basin Community Plan Update – Received an update on the status of the County’s Tahoe Basin Community Plan by the Planning Services Division and County Executive Office. No action taken.
c. Flood Control - Authorized the Chair to sign a letter on behalf of the Board of Supervisors providing comments on the draft Central Valley Flood Management Program which includes the Central Valley Flood Protection Plan (CVFPP) and the Urban Level of Flood Protection Criteria (ULFPC) and requesting a 30-day extension on the comment period.
MOTION Uhler/Duran/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Holmes temporarily absent)
6. FACILITY SERVICES/CUSTODIAL AND MAINTENANCE SERVICES FOR TAHOE AREA FACILITIES – The Board took the following action as recommended by Facility Services regarding custodial and building maintenance services in the Tahoe region:
1. Directed staff to proceed with a Best Value procurement bid for supplemental custodial services in the Tahoe area.
2. Directed staff to negotiate an agreement with the Sierra Community College District for the District to provide emergency and routine building maintenance services at County owned and operated facilities in the Tahoe area.
3. Resolution 2012-99 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services, or his designee, to sign agreements and take related actions for supplemental custodial and building maintenance services in the Tahoe area.
7. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Auburn Ravine Road/Interstate 80 and Bowman Road Caltrans Cooperative Agreement – Resolution 2012-100 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to enter into and execute a Cooperative Agreement with Caltrans to receive project funding in an amount not to exceed $250,000, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, for the construction of improvements at the intersection of Auburn Ravine Road/Interstate 80 and Bowman Road.
b. Cook Riolo Road Bridge Replacement Project, Contract #1125 – Resolution 2012-102 adopted authorizing the Chair of the Board to award and execute the construction contract for the Cook Riolo Road Bridge Replacement Project, with County Counsel and Risk Management review and approval, to the lowest responsible and responsive bidder, MCM Construction, Inc. for $6,888,888.00, and authorized the Director of Public Works to execute contract change orders up to an amount of 10% of the contract amount.
MOTION Duran/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Uhler temporarily absent)
c. Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project – Resolution 2012-103 adopted:
1) Approving two Purchase Agreements for the acquisition of two parcels from Frank Maquire and Gabrielle Dentraygues;
2) Authorizing the Chair to execute the Purchase Agreements and accept the Grant Deeds;
3) Authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute documents related to the relocation of a business and residential tenant on one Maguire parcel; and
4) Authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute a lease back of one Maguire parcel for Christmas tree sales for a maximum of three years.
8. SHERIFF – Approved a Budget Revision and Master Fixed Asset List moving $2,800,000 from Appropriation 21930 (Administration & Support) to 21780 (Grants) for the previously approved Sheriff’s Office Regional Public Safety System project. This shift will facilitate better tracking of equipment purchases throughout the project’s completion.
9. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 – CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) Petition for Review of NPDES Permit (Order No. R6T-2011-0101) issued by Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board – The Board gave direction to staff.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS – The Board received a staff report.
(a) Agency designated representatives: Holly Heinzen, Nancy Nittler, Therese Leonard, Gerald O. Carden
Employee organization: PPEO.
CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
10. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. Community Development Resource Agency/Planning/Temporary Outdoor Event Permit Fee Waiver Program for Temporary Agricultural Events – Ordinance 5673-B adopted amending County Code Chapter 2, Article 2.116, Administrative Fees, Section 2.116.050 approving a fee waiver program allowing the waiver of Temporary Outdoor Event permit fees for the processing of temporary agricultural event permits.
b. Community Development Resource Agency/Planning/Zoning – Ordinance 5674-B adopted to extend the term of Ordinance 5641-B that temporarily allows for the placement of certain signs that would otherwise be prohibited by the Zoning Ordinance and temporarily removes the maximum timeframes in the Zoning Ordinance for banners and window signs, for a period of one additional year.
c. Personnel/Measure F Salary Step Amounts – Ordinance 5675-B adopted replacing in its entirety Placer County Code, Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 3–DSAS, Appendix 4–DSAN, and Appendix 9-MGTS effective February 11, 2012.
11. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Approved minutes of March 27, 2012.
12. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. County Audit Committee - Approved reappointment of Wayne Nader to Seat #3 of the County Audit Committee.
b. Squaw Valley Design Review Committee – Approved appointment of Barbara Wilcox to Seat #1.
c. Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory Board - Approved reappointment of Sharon Behrens to Seat #5.
d. Placer County Charter Review Committee – Approved appointment of Barry Stigers to Seat #3 (representing District 3), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
13. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES – Approved an increase to Blanket Purchase Order #18749 with Hunt & Sons for gasoline and diesel fuel, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting Change Order increasing the maximum amount by $16,000 for a revised maximum amount not to exceed $65,000.
14. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/ 2011 Woody Biomass Utilization GraNT - Authorized the Chair to sign a first amendment to the original contract with Wood Rodgers (which was $47,220) in an amount not to exceed $91,620 to support the Woody Biomass Utilization Grant from the United States Forest Service, bringing the total contract amount to $138,840.
15. FACILITY SERVICES/HIDDEN FALLS REGIONAL PARK TRAIL CONSTRUCTION, PROJECT #4717C - Approved the Plans and Specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids for the Hidden Falls Regional Park Trail Construction Project, with an estimate of probable construction cost of $190,000.
16. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. 2010 Lake Tahoe Region Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan – Resolution 2012-93 adopted adopting the Placer County 2010 Lake Tahoe Region Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan for eligibility for Caltrans Bicycle Transportation Account funding.
b. Maintained Mileage Records – Resolution 2012-94 adopted certifying the Maintained Mileage Records which results in a new total County maintained mileage of 1057.256.
c. Foresthill Road Lower Lake Clementine Project and Foresthill Road Safety Improvement Project – Resolution 2012-95 adopted approving the project plans and specifications, authorizing the Chair of the Board to sign the cover sheet, and authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids for the Project.
d. Homewood Community Water Quality Improvement Project, Phase 1 & Phase 1A, Contract #1102 – Resolution 2012-96 adopted approving the project plans and specifications for use in bidding and construction of the Homewood Community Water Quality Improvement Project – Phase 1 and Phase 1A and authorized the Department to advertise for bids.
e. Horseshoe Bar Road at Vista Drive Roadway Improvement Project – Resolution 2012-97 adopted approving the project plans and specifications, authorizing the Chair of the Board to sign the cover sheet, and authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids for the Horseshoe Bar Road at Vista Drive Roadway Improvement Project.
f. County Executive Office/County Fire Department Replacement Pickup Truck – Approved a Budget Revision and amended the Fiscal Year 2011/12 Master Fixed Asset List to add one (1) additional 2012 Ford F-150 4X4 Super Cab Pickup Truck in the amount of $26,095.72, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to utilize the current County vehicle bid and issue a Purchase Order for the vehicle.
17. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $100 in Revenue Sharing monies to Rock Creek Elementary School to offset transportation costs for an educational County Library field trip, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approved appropriation of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Tommy Apostolos Fund “Annual Dinner-Dance Fundraiser” to benefit Roseville’s children in need, as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
c. Approved appropriation of $450 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer County Museum Docent Guild “5th Annual Heritage Trail” event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($200) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
d. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Acres of Hope “Taste for Hope” event to benefit the program to assist at risk and/or homeless women with children, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
18. SHERIFF - Approved a Budget Revision in the amount of $5,547 to purchase a cadaver lift system for the Sheriff’s Coroner Unit, authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute all related documents and add the equipment to the Master Fixed Asset List.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is May 1, 2012.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2012 MEETING SCHEDULE:
May 1, 2012 (CEO Interviews)
May 8, 2012
May 22, 2012
June 5, 2012
June 19, 2012