COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JANUARY 4, 2005
Bill Santucci, District 1 Jan Christofferson, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Robert Bendorf, Assistant County Executive
Jim Holmes, District 3 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Edward Ted M. Gaines, District 4 John Marin, Administrative Officer
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Supervisor Santucci.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE OATH OF OFFICE FOR INCOMING SUPERVISORS Officiated by the Honorable Judge Francis Kearney. Reception immediately following in Conference Room A.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 10) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item will be removed from the Agenda for discussion.
1. WARRANT REGISTERS Weeks ending November 5, 12, 19, 26 and December 3, 2004.
2. ORDINANCES Second reading:
a. County Executive/County Holiday Ordinance amending Chapter 2, Section 2.12.010.B, adding a new County holiday to commemorate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., to be observed on the third Monday in January.
b. Personnel/Civil Service Commission Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Allocation of Positions to Departments, and Section 3.12.020 and 3.12.030-Schedule of Classification and Salary Grades Classified and Unclassified Service relating to the County Executive Office.
3. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY - County Counsel recommends rejection of the following claims:
a. 04-107, Joseph, Tyrone, $8,500.00, (Personal Injury).
b. 04-129, Korac, Aleksander, $5,000, (False Arrest).
c. 04-124, Mercury Insurance, $976.46, (Property Damage).
d. 04-118, Seado, Renee A., $10,000, (Untimely Death).
e. 04-133, Dunmore, Steven, Not Stated, (Personal Injury).
4. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Area 4 Agency on Aging Governing Board Approve appointment of Supervisor Holmes to Seat #1 and reappointment of Alice Gonzales to Seat #8 (Alternate) as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Assessment Appeals Board - Approve appointment of Warren V. Burns to Seat #2, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
c. Auburn Cemetery District Approve reappointment of Basilio "Bud" Procissi to Seat #4, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Civil Service Commission Approve appointment of Larry P. Webber to Seat #2, to fill unexpired term of Jim Webber (expires 8-24-05), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
e. County Parks Commission - Approve appointment of Jeff Calvert to Seat #5 and reappointment of Duane Whitelaw to Seat #6, as requested by Supervisor Kranz and reappointment of Russell Kelley to Seat #3, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
f. Economic Development Board - Approve reappointment of Susan Rohan to Seat #4, as requested by Supervisor Gaines.
g. First 5 Placer County Children Families Commission Approve reappointment of Dr. Richard J. Burton to Seat #2 (Public Health).
h. Planning Commission Approve appointment of Mary Michelle Ollar-Burris to Seat #5, as requested by Supervisor Kranz and reappoinment of Michael Stafford to Seat #4, as requested by Supervisor Gaines.
i. Roseville Public Cemetery District Accept resignation of Frederic Lohse, Seat #3.
j. Squaw Valley Municipal Advisory Council - Accept resignation of Brad Dutton, Seat #2.
k. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency Approve appointment of Supervisor Kranz and reappointment of Larry Sevison (Alternate), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
l. West Placer Citizens Municipal Advisory Council - Approve reappointment of Terry Dee Webb to Seat #5, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approve a merit increase for Karin E. Bjork, Supervising Deputy District Attorney, from Step 3 to Step 4, retroactive to August 7, 2004.
b. Approve a merit increase for Jeffrey Pylman, Deputy Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer of Weights and Measures, from Step 4 to Step 5, retroactive to October 30, 2004.
c. Approve a merit increase for David Seward, Purchasing Manager, from Step 3 to Step 4, effective January 22, 2005.
6. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Parks/Didion Ranch Property Approve Amendment #2 to agreement with A.R. Associates, increasing the not-to-exceed amount to $67,000, for engineering services related to improvements and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute.
b. Parks/North Fork American River Trail Project Approve Amendment #1 to Contract CN028037 with EDAW Inc., increasing the notto-exceed amount from $61,028 to $66,028, for additional environmental services and authorize the Director of Facility Services to execute.
c. Parks/North Fork Environmental Agreement Approve Amendment #1 to Contract 11555 with Northfork Environmental, Inc., increasing the not-to-exceed amount from $35,000 to $38,000, for trail coordination services, and authorize the Director of Facility Services to execute.
7. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION - Introduction of an ordinance, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Allocation of Positions relating to Health and Human Services and Sheriff.
8. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $100,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9288, HVAC Units/Facility Services Renew bid with Valair, Inc., in the maximum blanket purchase order amount of $85,000.
b. Purchase Order, Financial Information Services/Treasurer-Tax Collector Approve blanket purchase order with Bloomberg L.P., in the amount of $95,000, for a two-year period.
9. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Doyle Ranch Subdivision/West Placer, Tract #912 Accept the improvements as complete, reduce the faithful performance to 25% upon Board approval and reduce labor and material to 50%, holding for six months or longer if claims exist and adopt a resolution accepting the roads into the County Maintained Mileage System.
b. Hurricane Bay Estates/Tahoe - Tract #914 Accept the improvements as complete, reduce the faithful performance to 25% upon Board approval and reduce labor and material to 50%, holding for six months or longer if claims exist and authorize the release of the monumenting surety after completion and the engineer has been compensated.
10. SHERIFF - Approve a budget revision transferring funds within budget to purchase fixed asset (printer), in the amount of $7,500, for the department personnel database, add it to the Master Fixed Asset List and authorize the Purchasing Agent to execute the documents.
*** End of Consent Agenda***
11. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9372, Janitorial Supplies/Facility Services & Sheriff Award to various vendors as needed, in the maximum aggregate amount of $360,241.
b. Bid #9383, Vehicle Purchases/Public Works Award to the lowest responsive bidders, in the maximum aggregate amount of $677,422.54.
c. Bid #9390, Equipment Rental/Facility Services & Public Works Award to Placer Equipment Rental and Hertz Equipment Rental, in the maximum aggregate amount of $185,000.
12. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT/REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL #9360, FLEET VEHICLE LEASE AGREEMENT/VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS:
b. Approve budget revision for the procurement of 46 vehicles for the Sheriff Department and 5 vehicles for the District Attorney's Office, under the open-end master lease agreement, and approve the purchase of 2 vehicles for Fleet Services; approve the addition of these vehicles to the County's Master Fixed Asset List and authorize the Procurement Manager to award bids for the purchase of the 2 vehicles, up to the amount approved, $80,000 for both vehicles.
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/MUNICIPAL ADVISORY COUNCILS Request the Board give staff direction regarding altering County policies, resolutions and ordinances pertaining to Municipal Advisory Councils terms of office and the Municipal Advisory Council Handbook.
14. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Open Space Land Acquisition - Approve a budget revision, in the amount of $150,000, appropriating Open Space Fund reserves supporting the Schallenberger Ridge/Coldstream Canyon land acquisition, an addition to the Donner Memorial State Park.
b. West Placer County Consulting Contract Authorize the County Executive Officer to execute a contract with Goodwin Consulting Group, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $100,000, for financial services related to project specific reviews, public facilities financing plans, market studies, fiscal impact reports and other financial consulting services related to projects in the West Placer Area.
15. FACILITY SERVICES/CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS/FULWEILER ADMINISTRATIVE ANNEX RENOVATION, PROJECT #4646 Award bid to Aberdeen Burris Contractors, Inc., in the amount of $1,988,602, and authorize the Director of Facility Services to execute a contract and any required change orders upon County Counsel's review and approval of required bonds and insurance.
16. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Bell Road Bridge Replacement Projects - Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to sign and execute Amendment #1 to Agreement #73191 with Harris & Associates, Inc., in the amount of $359,000, for Dry Creek and Orr Creek Bridges construction inspection, Bell Road, Auburn.
b. Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project - Resolution approving Amendment #3 to Agreement #73146 with MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc., in the amount of $251,806, for additional professional services.
c. Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project Resolution approving Amendment #4 to Agreement #73089, with MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc., in the amount of $485,337, for engineering services.
17. SHERIFF - Approve a budget revision for technical adjustments to the Final Budget for the Law Enforcement Communications Infrastructure and Upgrade project, update the Master Fixed Asset List for equipment and building improvements to reflect the current project needs, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute the documents.
18. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR/LEGISLATION Resolution preventing implementation of Assembly Bill 2144 as specified within Assembly Bill 2144. Assembly Bill 2144 (Ridley-Thomas) requires the Tax Collector to sell tax-defaulted non-residential property at public auction three years after the property becomes delinquent instead of the five-year period previously required.
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Sierra Club, et al. vs. Placer County, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV12789
Bickford Ranch Heritage Coalition, et al., vs. County of Placer, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV12793, (CONSOLIDATED), Third Appellate District Case No.: C047630.
(b) Sierra Club, et al. vs. Placer County, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV16428
Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District Case No.: C047440.
(c) Sierra Club, et al. vs Placer County, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV14130.
(d) Western Placer Citizens for an Agricultural and Rural Environment (WPCARE), a California non-profit corporation, County of Placer and County of Placer Board of Supervisors; vs. Teichert, Inc., and Does 1-20, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-15349.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: One potential case.
(b) Initiation of Litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9: One potential case.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
20. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/REORGANIZATION OF THE BOARD Selection of Chairman and Vice-Chairman for 2005.
21. FACILITY SERVICES/SPECIAL DISTRICTS:
a. County Service Area #28, Zone #173 (Dry Creek) Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution annexing property owned by the Casner Family Trust property, APN 023-234-022, into the district. Subject property is located on the corner of Crowder Lane and Vineyard Road, Sun Valley Oaks Subdivision in Roseville.
b. Sewer Maintenance District #3 Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution annexing property owned by Dora L. Raymond Lemke, APN 036-082-014, into the district. Subject property is located on Canterbury Lane, Loomis.
22. AGRICULTURAL DEPARTMENT Informational report including 2003 Placer County Crop Report, impact of development on county agriculture, economic state of county farmers and ranchers, and the Agricultural Marketing Program.
23. LUNCH AT The Ridge Bar & Grill, 2020 Golf Course Road, Auburn/Agenda Scheduling
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
24. AUDITOR-CONTROLLER Statement of Condition of Cash in the Treasury for month ending November 30, 2004.
25. STATE DEPARTMENT OF FISH & GAME 2004-05 Deer Hunt(s).
26. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR Treasurer's statement for month ending November 2004.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 2005 MEETING SCHEDULE:
January 18, 2005
February 08, 2005
February 22, 2005
March 08, 2005
March 29, 2005