COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MARCH 8, 2005
Bill Santucci, District 1, Vice Chairman Jan Christofferson, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Chairman Robert Bendorf, Assistant County Executive
Jim Holmes, District 3 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 John Marin, Administrative Officer
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Chairman Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 13) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item will be removed from the Agenda for discussion.
a. Approve Joint Powers Agreement allowing Placer County to participate in the Standard Data Record/Network Group Program and authorize the Assessor to sign.
b. Approve closure of Sheriff Bail Account, an outside checking account with US Bank.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution dedicating the week of April 2-9, 2005 as “Creek Week” in Placer County.
b. Approve minutes of February 8 and 22, 2005.
3. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY - County Counsel recommends rejection of the following claims:
a. 05-009, Clemons, Nina M., $1000, (Property Loss).
b. 05-010, Draper, Greg, Not Stated, (Civil Rights).
c. 04-133, Dunmore, Steven, Not Stated, (Personal Injury).
d. 05-012, Taylor, Brian, Not Stated, (Bodily Injury).
4. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Flood Control & Water Conservation District – Approve reappointment of John F. Rompala to Seat #9 (At-Large).
b. Weimar/Applegate/Colfax Municipal Advisory Council – Approve appointment of David Vonasek to Seat #5 and John Sellers to Seat #6, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Approve agreement with Western Placer Waste Management Authority confirming County solid waste flows to the Materials Recovery Facility.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES:
a. Approve suspension of the Placer Operational Area Civil Defense/Emergency Management Budget annual billing to the City of Roseville.
b. Approve the Ponderosa Fire Safe Council Partnership agreement with the City of Colfax and the Placer Hills Fire Protection District; direct the Clerk of the Board to post the vacancies, and adopt a resolution appointing three members from District 5 to the Council.
7. COUNTY CLERK/RECORDER - Resolution calling for a Special Tax Election on June 7, 2005 for the North Tahoe Fire Protection District and the Placer Hills Union School District and authorizing the County Clerk to render reimbursed election services for the Districts.
8. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Franklin School - Approve agreement with the Loomis Union Elementary School District, in the amount of $84,276, for development, use and maintenance of a new public park at Franklin School and approve a budget revision to appropriate County Park Dedication Fees, and to prepare a park master plan and construction documents.
b. Franklin School - Approve agreement with RJM Design Group, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $78,198.00, for master planning and Phase 1 design services for the Franklin School park.
c. Granite Bay Park - Resolution directing the preparation of the FY 2005/06 Engineer’s Report for the Granite Bay Parks, Trails and Open Space Assessment District.
d. Squaw Valley Park, Phase 2, Project #4930B - Resolution accepting the project as complete and authorizing the Director of Facility Services to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
9. PLANNING/PLEASANT GROVE & CURRY CREEK WATERSHED GRANT – Amend contract with Foothill Associates, based upon the scope of work of $34,233.27, for professional services and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute.
10. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $100,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9403, Tractor Loader/Facility Services – Award to Beeler Tractor, in the amount of $52,676.03.
b. Request for Proposal #9021, Project & Construction Management Services/Various Departments Approve a one-year extension of qualified list #9021, through March 4, 2006.
11. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Lake Tahoe Park Erosion Control Project – Resolution authorizing the Chairman to execute the cooperative agreement with the State of California, Department of Transportation, for the project located on the west shore of Lake Tahoe along and west of Highway 89, near Sunnyside.
b. Public Road Name Change/Wise Road – Resolution changing the road name from “Wise Road” to “West Wise Road” between Mc Courtney Road and Brewer Road, in the Lincoln area.
c. Transit/Tahoe City to Truckee – Authorize the Chairman and Public Works Director to execute a Memorandum of Understanding with the Truckee-North Tahoe Transportation Management Association for transit service between Truckee and Tahoe City during the winter of 2004/05.
12. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Lincoln High School for the Academic Decathlon for the 2004/05 school year, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
b. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Roseville High School Sober Grad Night, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
c. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Markham Ravine Neighborhood Committee for the 2nd Annual Lincoln Creek Week, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. Approve appropriation of $350 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer Sportsman Inc., supporting the 58th Annual Kid's Fish Derby, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($100) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
e. Approve appropriation of $1,000 in additional Revenue Sharing monies to The Gathering Inn, as requested by Supervisor Holmes and Supervisor Gaines ($500 each). The total Revenue Sharing money for 2005 is $1750.
f. Approve appropriation of $1,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to Keaton Raphael Memorial for the annual St. Baldrick’s Shave–Off, supporting Childhood Cancer Research, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($500) and Supervisor Weygandt and Gaines ($250 each).
g. Approve appropriation of $1,500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Child Abuse Prevention Council for the 7th Annual Putting Children First Awards Luncheon, as requested by Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Weygandt ($250 each) and Supervisor Holmes and Supervisor Gaines ($500 each).
13. SHERIFF – Approve modification to the Master Fixed Asset List, to increase the amount of the marine patrol boat and trailer from $50,000 to $57,250; award bid to Almar, in the amount of $57,250; approve budget revision for the increased equipment and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute related documents.
*** End of Consent Agenda***
14. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT:
a. Bid #9404, Asphaltic Concrete/Public Works – Award to various vendors, in the aggregate amount of $1,300,651, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting primary and secondary blanket purchase orders.
b. Bid 9409, Asphalt Emulsion/Public Works – Award bid to Kent's Oil Service, in the maximum amount of $383,618, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign resulting blanket purchase order.
c. Purchase, Site Licensing Software/Information Technology – Approve purchase of a seventh year of licensing software from Oracle Corporation, in the amount of $195,706.85, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign resulting purchase order.
15. BUILDING DEPARTMENT – Resolution authorizing alternative dates and drawing locations for implementing the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency Residential Building Permit Allocation Program for 2005.
16. FACILITY SERVICES/PROPERTY MANAGEMENT - Approve a continuance of the Board’s consideration to transfer Ronald L. Feist Park property (18.5 acres located off of Twin Schools Road in Granite Bay) to the County until the March 29, 2005 Board of Supervisors’ meeting which begins at 9:00 a.m.
18. MUSEUMS - Approve the consolidation of the Department of Museums as a new division of the Facility Services Department; introduction of an ordinance amending Chapter 2, 3 and 15 relating to changes to the position and division and amended job specification; and approve appropriation of the proceeds of the sale of Maple Street properties, in the amount of $172,550, for Museum improvements to be included in the FY 2005/06 budget.
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Sierra Watch, vs. Placer County, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV16652.
(b) Western Placer Citizens for an Agricultural and Rural Environment (WPCARE), vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case # SCV 15349.
(c) Chandra Thomas vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV15658.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director.
Employee organization: DSA/PPEO.
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Public hearing to consider adoption of an ordinance, amending Chapter 9 of the Placer County Code, adding Section 9.33 regarding a permit program for public displays of fireworks.
22. SACRAMENTO AREA COUNCIL OF GOVERNMENTS – Update of the Blueprint Project.
23. PLANNING/REZONE/"CHAMBERLIN" (PREAT20040045) MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION Public hearing to consider a rezoning application. The Placer County Planning Commission, recommended denial, and the Newcastle/Ophir Municipal Advisory Council recommended approval of the rezoning. The proposed rezoning is RS-B-10 (Residential-Single Family, Combining building site of 10,000 sq. ft.); the current zoning is RS-B-43 (Residential-Single Family, Combining building site of 1 acre min.). The property APN 040-150-023 is located at 397 2nd Street in the Newcastle area. The Board may consider the adoption of a Mitigated Negative declaration. Item continued from February 8, 2005.
24. LUNCH – At Santorini Grille, 359 Nevada Street, Auburn/Agenda Scheduling.
25. PLANNING/WEST PLACER MAJOR PROJECTS – Informational update.
26. PLANNING/PLACER COUNTY CONSERVATION PLAN (NATURAL COMMUNITIES CONSERVATION & HABITAT CONSERVATION PLAN) – Informational update.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
27. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR – Treasurer's statement for the month of January 2005.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2005 MEETING SCHEDULE:
March 29, 2005
April 18, 2005 (Tahoe)
April 19, 2005 (Tahoe)
April 26, 2005
May 10, 2005
May 24, 2005