COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 19, 2005
Bill Santucci, District 1, Vice Chairman Jan Christofferson, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Chairman Robert Bendorf, Assistant County Executive
Jim Holmes, District 3 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 John Marin, Administrative Officer
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you require disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
North Tahoe Conference Center
8318 North Lake Boulevard
Kings Beach, CA 96143
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Supervisor Holmes.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT - Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15 minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 15) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be removed for discussion.
1. WARRANT REGISTER - Weeks ending March 11, 18, 25 and April 1, 2005.
2. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. County Executive - Ordinance amending Chapter 3, creating the Community Development/Resource Agency position allocations and compensation.
b County Executive/Redevelopment – Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1, Allocation of Positions, adding the position of Accountant-Auditor I/II to the Redevelopment Agency.
c. Personnel/Civil Service - Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1, Allocation of Positions, relating to the Facility Services Department.
d. Personnel/Civil Service - Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, 3.12.020, and 3.12.030, relating to position allocations and salaries relating to the Probation Department.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve contract with Debby Cary to provide secretarial services to the Weimar/Applegate/Colfax Municipal Advisory Council.
b. Approve minutes of March 8, 2005.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY - County Counsel recommends rejection of the following claim:
a. 04-111, Mauger, Sybil, Not Stated, (Personal Injury).
5. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY - County Counsel recommends rejection of the following Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim and its claim:
a. 04-078, Dorcich, Lara, Not Stated, (Civil Rights).
6. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Newcastle/Ophir Municipal Advisory Council - Approve reappointment of Richard L. Johnson to Seat #2, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Sheridan Municipal Advisory Council – Accept resignation of Brian Masunaga, Seat #2.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Assembly Bill 84 – Authorize the Chairman to sign a letter supporting Assembly Bill 94, that would create a specialized Sierra Nevada license plate, as introduced by Assembly member Tim Leslie and John Laird.
b. Community Development/Resource Agency – Approve a budget revision to appropriate funds supporting the Community Development/Resource Agency for the remainder of FY 2004/05.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Resolution approving the FY 2005 Capital Facilities and Mitigation Fee Expenditure Plan for the Truckee Fire Protection District.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/RISK MANAGEMENT - Resolution appointing Maryellen Peters to the Board of Directors of the California Area Council of Governments Excess Insurance Authority and the California Transit Insurance Pool and appoint Michael J. Boyle as alternate.
10. FACILITY SERVICES/PARKS:
a. Auburn Justice Center, Phase 1/Site Preparation, Project #4674A – Resolution accepting the project as complete; approve and authorize the Director of Facility Services to sign a final contract change order, in the amount of $57,590.16; and authorize the Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
b. Didion Ranch Trail Construction, Project 4717A/Spring 2005 – Approve the plans and specifications and authorize staff to solicit bids.
c. Recreation Area #3 (Colfax Area) – Approve use agreement for Park Dedication Fees, in the amount of $28,331, for rehabilitation of the track and field recreation area at Weimar Hills School.
d. Recreation Area #16 (Serene Lakes Area) – Approve use agreement for Park Dedication Fees, in the amount of $23,951, for construction of portions of the Donner Lake Rim Trail at Donner Lake State Park.
11. FACILITY SERVICES/SPECIAL DISTRICTS:
a. Sewer Maintenance District #1 – Resolution of Intention setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider annexing property owned by Phillip D. Hawkins, Assessor Parcel Number 076-335-005, located on Kenneth Way, in Christian Valley, into the boundaries of the district.
b. Sewer Maintenance District #1 – Resolution authorizing acknowledgement of payment and release of lien regarding property owned by Greg and Kellie Costo, Assessor Parcel #054-243-009, and authorize the Director of Facility Services to release the lien.
12. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $100,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9410, Diesel Truck with Utility Body/Facility Services - Reject bids from S&C Motors and ER Bacon and award to Hedricks Chevrolet, in the amount of $56,691.67.
b. Purchase, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus/Emergency Services - Approve purchase of breathing apparatus and other respiratory protection equipment from Mallory Fire Company, in the total amount of $67,396.01.
c. Purchase Order, Credit Card Fuel Purchases/Public Works - Approve Change Order #1 to Blanket Purchase Order #12092, with Voyager Fleet Systems, in the amount of $50,000.
d. Request for Proposal #8940, Traffic Signal & Intersection Engineering/Public Works - Extend qualified list for traffic signal and intersection engineers for one year.
13. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. California Tahoe Conservancy Wildlife Enhancement & Stream Environment Zone Restoration – Resolution approving preparation of California Tahoe Conservancy grant application requesting up to $500,000 in funding, for the proposed Lake Forest Erosion Control Project, and authorize the Director of Public Works to execute the documents.
b. Slurry Seal/Summer 2005, Contract #73216 – Approve the list of proposed roads and project specifications and authorize the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids.
14. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approve appropriation of $125 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer High School for the Placer High School Spring Musical, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Roseville Chamber of Commerce for the Earl Rush Scholarship fundraiser, as requested by Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Gaines ($250 each).
c. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Volunteer Center for the annual Tour de Lincoln cycling event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($500).
d. Approve appropriation of $1,600 in Revenue Sharing monies to The Boys and Girls Club of Auburn for the 4th Annual “Kids' Benefit Breakfast”, supporting the youth development programs, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($100), Supervisor Holmes ($1,000) and Supervisor Gaines ($500).
a. Approve purchase of an upgrade for the Automated Fingerprint Identification System, in an amount not-to-exceed $25,000, add to the master fixed asset list, approve a budget revision and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute all related documents.
b. Resolution authorizing the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute a contract agreement with Placer County and the State Department of Boating and Waterways for FY 2005/06, in the amount of $52,916.
*** End of Consent Agenda***
16. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order, Compressed Natural Gas/Public Works – Approve a blanket purchase order with PG&E, in the maximum amount of $124,000.
b. Bid #9423, Septic Pumper Truck/Facility Services – Reject Bid #9402 and award Bid #9423 to Sacramento Truck Center, in the amount of $138,971.33.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/NORTH LAKE TAHOE RESORT ASSOCIATION – Approve allocation of Transient Occupancy Tax Funds to the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association, in the amount of $315,000, for various infrastructure improvements.
18. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES – Approve the Community Wildfire Protection Plan for the North Tahoe Fire Protection District planning area.
19. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT - Resolution making specific findings and approving the purchase of vacant land on Salmon Avenue in Kings Beach, in the amount of $495,000, in order to develop the Salmon Avenue Public Parking Lot.
ADJOURN AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND CONVENE
AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
20. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD:
a. Salmon Avenue Public Parking Lot - Resolution making specific findings, approving the purchase of vacant land on Salmon Avenue in Kings Beach, in the amount of $495,000, in order to develop the Salmon Avenue Public Parking Lot and authorize the Deputy County Executive Officer-Redevelopment Director to sign the documents.
b. Kings Beach Main Street Program - Approve a service agreement for the Kings Beach Main Street Program between the Placer County Redevelopment Agency and the North Tahoe Business Association, in the amount of $50,000, and authorize the Deputy County Executive Officer-Redevelopment Director to execute the contract.
ADJOURN AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENE AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
21. PUBLIC WORKS/LAKE TAHOE EROSION CONTROL PROJECT, CONTRACT #73092 – Resolution awarding contract to the lowest qualified bidder, Burdick Excavating Co., Inc., in the amount of $2,870,283.76, and authorizing the Director of Public Works to approve future contract amendments up to $287,000.
22. SHERIFF – Approve purchase of system upgrades, in the total amount of $300,000, for the Livescan Fingerprint and Photo Imaging Systems, add the systems to the Master Fixed Asset List, approve a budget revision transferring funds within the department and authorize the Purchasing Manager to perform a competitive solicitation and sign a purchase order up to $300,000.
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Judi Jackson vs. County of Placer, et. al., U.S.D.C. Case No.: CIV.S 05-79FCD KJM.
(b) Judi Spencer vs. County of Placer Animal Control, et. al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-11367.
(c) Sierra Watch, a nonprofit public benefit corporation, et. al. vs. Placer County et. al.
Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16652.
(d) Friends of the North Fork, et. al. vs. County of Placer. Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-17593.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: DSA/PPEO
(C) §54957 - PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT
Title: Director of Facility Services
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
24. FACILITY SERVICES/EASTERN REGIONAL MATERIALS RECOVERY FACILITY & FRANCHISE AREAS 2 & 3 – Public hearing to receive input on and approve solid waste tipping fee increases at the Eastern Regional Materials Recovery Facility and collection fee increases in Franchise Areas 2 and 3 (includes all parts of Placer County, east of Colfax with the exception of Foresthill); adopt a resolution approving amended contract that incorporates the recommended fee increases and make a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resource Code, that the higher fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meeting operating expenses required for maintenance of service and are therefore, exempt from environmental review.
25. PUBLIC WORKS/TAHOE AREA REGIONAL TRANSIT (TART) SYSTEM PLAN – Approve the five-year TART System Plan.
26. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES – Review staff presentation on the progress of the Countrywide Radio Network Strategic Plan and provide further direction, as necessary.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
27. AREA 4 AGENCY ON AGING – Audited Financial Statements for year ending June 30, 2004.
28. AUDITOR-CONTROLLER - Auditor-Controller’s Statement of Condition of Cash in the Treasury, for the month ending March 31, 2005.
29. ROCKLIN UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT – Notice of public hearing regarding annexation.
a. Annual market disclosure reports for the Placer Corporate Center Assessment District Bonds and the Dry Creek-West Placer CFD #2001-1, Series 2001 Special Tax Bonds.
b. Treasurer's statement for the month of March 2005.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2005 MEETING SCHEDULE:
April 26, 2005
May 10, 2005
May 24, 2005
June 14, 2005
June 28, 2005