COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MAY 23, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Santucci.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 13) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item will be moved from the Agenda for discussion.
1. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. County Executive - Ordinance amending Chapter 3, relating to position allocations in the Sheriff’s Office.
b. Personnel/Civil Service Commission – Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1, relating to reclassification of one position from Administrative Technician to Information Technology Technician I/II, for the Health and Human Services Department.
a. Resolution authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign the FY 2006/07 State Contract #06-0117 for enforcement of the California Organic Foods Act, allowing for reimbursement from the State for up to $1,400.
b. Purchase - Approve a budget revision to increase revenue, in the amount of $30,000, to appropriate funding for the purchase of two fixed assets (Weights and Measure Crane & ATV for Predatory Animal Control), and add them to the Master Fixed Asset List.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Commendation for Dr. Kelvin Lee upon his retirement as the Superintendent of the Dry Creek Joint Elementary School District in Roseville, since 1977.
b. Resolution congratulating Ellen Ketsdever, Accounting Technician, Health and Human Services Department, upon her retirement after 37 years of service.
c. Resolution for the City of Lincoln, in support of being one of 34 finalist cities chosen in the All-America City Award competition, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. Resolution supporting the "Reno Tahoe Odyssey Relay Run Adventure", to be held on July 7th and 8th, 2006 around Lake Tahoe and passing through Placer County on July 7th.
e. Approve minutes of March 21, 28 and April 3, 4, 18, 2006.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY - County Counsel recommends rejection of the following claims:
a. 06-039, Mathot, Michele, $500,000 (Personal Injury).
b. 06-040, Wood, Susan, $491.26 (Personal Injury).
c. 06-048, Tischler, Chris, $6,397.80 (Property Damage)
5. COMMITTEES & COMMISSION:
a. Assessment Appeals Board - Approve appointment of Darrell E. Burruss to Seat 1 (District 1), as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
b. Meadow Vista Municipal Advisory Council - Approve appointment of Maureen O'Connell to Seat 1, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. Placer County Independent Solid Waste Hearing Panel - Approve appointment of Terry M. Bosik to Seat 2 (Technical Experts).
6. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS - Resolution approving the appointment of nominees to terms, in lieu of election, to the Democratic Central Committee, Republican Central Committee and Green Party County Council.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approve merit increase for Lisa Buescher, Administrative Aide II, from Step 1 to Step 2, retroactive September 13, 2005.
b. Approve merit increase for Dr. Lea Della Abia, Dentist, from Step 3 to Step 4, retroactive to October 29, 2005.
c. Approve merit increase for Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board, from Step 4 to Step 5, retroactive to March 7, 2006.
d. Approve merit increase for Jennifer Merchant, Principal Management Analyst, from Step 2 to Step 3, retroactive to April 1, 2006.
8. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Building 430 Fire Sprinkler System, Project #4701 – Resolution accepting the project, located in the Placer County Government Center, Auburn, as complete and authorize the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
b. Children’s Emergency Shelter, Project #4677 – Resolution authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute and record necessary documents to file the Notice of Federal Interest; approve the plans and specifications for Phase 1 of the project and authorize staff to solicit bids.
c. Main Jail Suicide Prevention Bars, Project #4748 – Resolution accepting the project, located in the Placer County Government Center, Auburn, as complete and authorize Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
d. Sewer Maintenance District #1 - Resolution of Intention setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Hugh T. and M. Jean Dickinson, APN 051-010-022, into the district. Subject property is located on Bell Road in Auburn.
9. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Resolution proclaiming May 2006 Mental Health Awareness Month.
b. Administrative Services – Resolution authorizing the Health & Human Services Director, with concurrence of the County Executive Officer, County Counsel and Risk Management, to sign and execute a list of 37 specific contractual agreements and subsequent amendments, providing the expenditure agreements remain within 10% of the prior period amount. The estimated total funding received for the 13 revenue agreements, based on current year funding levels is $528,888. The current value of the listed 24 expenditure agreements is $1,097,722. The County General Fund contribution for the expenditure agreements will be approximately $336,000.
c. Adult System of Care – Amend multi-year revenue agreement with the State Department of Alcohol & Drug Programs, Negotiated Net Amount & Drug Medi-Cal for FY 2005/06, increasing the funding by $31,988, for a revised total of $2,724,531, and authorize the Chairman to sign the amendment and future amendments.
10. PUBLIC WORKS - Resolution to abandon a pedestrian easement, in Tahoe City, in exchange for the dedication of a relocated pedestrian easement.
11. PUBLIC WORKS/TRANSIT SERVICE:
a. Approve a Memorandum of Understanding to provide transit service to the City of Lincoln.
b. Approve a Memorandum of Understanding to provide transit service to the Town of Loomis.
c. Approve one-year extension of the contract with Amador Stage Lines to operate the Placer Commuter Express service. Amador Stage Lines cost is $363,924 for FY 2006/07.
12. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Mermaids Synchronized Swimming Team, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approve appropriation of $1,650 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Boys & Girls Club of Auburn, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($150), Supervisor Weygandt ($250), Supervisor Holmes ($1,000), and Supervisor Gaines ($250).
c. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the City of Lincoln, in support of being one of 34 finalist cities chosen in the All-America City Award competition, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. Approve appropriation of $350 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Community Crime Stoppers Foundation, Inc., as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($250) and Supervisor Gaines ($100).
e. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Sutter Roseville Medical Center, as requested by Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Gaines ($250 each).
13. SHERIFF - Approve carry over of excess compensatory time off hours, to the next fiscal year, for employees, consistent with County Code, Chapter 3, Section 3.04.240.
***End of Consent Agenda***
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE NOON, AS TIME ALLOWS
14. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9570, Road Paving Services/Public Works – Award to Baldoni Construction Services, Inc., in the maximum amount of $125,000.
b. Purchase Order, Liquid Coagulant Polymer/Facility Service – Renew Blanket Purchase Order #12930 with JenChem, Inc., in the maximum amount of $141,000.
15. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Asphalt Concrete Overlay/Various Roads, Contract #73235, Summer 2006 - Resolution awarding contract to Teichert Construction, in the amount of $2,210,474.10; for various surface treatments on maintained public roadways, authorizing the Chairman to execute the contract and authorizing Public Works Director to approve contract change orders up to 20% of the total contract amount upon review and approval by the County Executive Office and County Counsel.
b. Lake Tahoe Park Erosion Control Project, Contract #73092 - Resolution ratifying all existing contract change orders with Burdick Excavating Co., Inc., and authorizing the Public Works Director to approve change orders up to a total of $250,000, due to damage caused by the flood of January 2006 and unforeseen construction costs for the project.
c. Patching Various Roads/Contract #73237, Summer 2006 – Resolution awarding contract to AC General Engineering, Inc., in the amount of $440,320, for patching and paving various County roads, authorizing the Chairman to execute the contract and authorizing the Director of Public Works to approve contract change orders up to 10% of the total contract amount.
d. Squaw Valley Road Bridge Rehabilitation Project, Contract #73241 - Resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign a contract with Harris and Associates, in the amount of $247,440, for construction management, inspection, and materials testing service and authorizing the Public Works Director to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services not to exceed $37,000.
e. Tahoe Parks Heights Drive Culvert Repair Project Contract #73240 - Resolution awarding construction contract to White Rock Construction, Inc., in the amount of $125,000, for construction repairs on Tahoe Park Heights Drive and authorizing Public Works Director to execute the contract and to approve and sign future contract amendments up to $150,000.
16. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR – Presentation regarding credit rating upgrades that the County has recently received from credit rating agencies Standard & Poor’s from AA-/A+ to AA/AA- and from Moody’s from Aa2/A1 to Aa2/Aa3 and receive a briefing on other County financings including the recent Certificate of Participation and Tobacco Bond sales.
17. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION:
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Sierra Watch; League to Save Lake Tahoe; Mountain Area Preservation Foundation vs. Placer County, et al. ( Martis Valley). Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16652.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN:
18. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/COMMENDATIONS:
a. Presentation of a resolution to the City of Lincoln, in support of being one of 34 finalist cities chosen in the All-America City Award competition.
b. Presentation of a commendation congratulating Tony Clarabut, CDF Unit Chief, upon his retirement.
19. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/DRY CREEK WATERSHED DRAINAGE IMPROVEMENT FEES – Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution modifying an inflationary adjustment to certain fees charged pursuant to County Code, Section 15.32.100, the Dry Creek Watershed Drainage Improvement Fees. The proposed action will apply a 3.7% inflationary increase to the “one time fee for new development” in the subject fee program, effective July 1, 2006.
20. FACILITY SERVICES/SOLID WASTE/GARBAGE FRANCHISE AREA 1 & 4 – Public hearing to receive input on the proposed adjustments to garbage collection/transfer station rates for Franchise Areas 1 and 4 (includes all parts of unincorporated Placer County west of Colfax, including Foresthill and Iowa Hill Divides, for FY 2006/2007, adopt a resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign an amendment to Agreement #11846 that incorporates the recommended rate adjustments, and make a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resources Code that the adjusted rates are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service, and are therefore exempt from environmental review.
21. PUBLIC WORKS/SUNSET BOULEVARD/STATE ROUTE 65 INTERCHANGE – Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution approving a Mitigated Negative Declaration (EIAQ-3814) for the project and the accompanying Mitigation and Monitoring Plan with associated findings.
22. FACILITY SERVICES/SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT #3 - Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution annexing the Brian and Tanya Issertell property, APN 036-100-005, into the boundaries of the district. Subject property is located on Minors Drive in Loomis.
23. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/ZONING TEXT AMENDMENT (PZTA20060057) CREATION OF NEW ZONING DISTRICT/SPECIFIC PLAN DISTRICT (SPL) EXEMPT FROM CEQA - Public hearing to consider approval of changes to County Code, Chapter 17 (Zoning Ordinance) establishing a new zoning district (Specific Plan, SPL). The Board will consider a finding that the project is exempt from review under the California Environmental Quality Act.
24. SHERIFF – Overview, objectives and operational information regarding the Placer County Sheriff Department’s K-9 Unit.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
25. CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES – Plan of Cooperation for Federal FY 2006 and 2007, between the State Department of Child Support Services and Placer County Child Support Services.
26. NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WATER ASSOCIATION – Quarterly Conveyance.
27. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR – Treasurer’s Statement for the month of April 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
June 13, 2006
June 27, 2006
July 11, 2006
July 24, 2006 (Tahoe)
July 25, 2006 (Tahoe)