COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Granlibakken Conference Center & Lodge
725 Granlibakken Road
Tahoe City, CA 96145
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Santucci.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Bruce Dear, Placer County Assessor, introduced Debbie Nicholas, new manager of the Tahoe facility. Gail Tondettar, Program Manager for Health & Human Service, provided an update of the Tahoe flu clinic program. Al Turner, a builder in North Lake Tahoe, said he appreciated the efforts of John Marin and Bob Martino in keeping the local building community informed on issues, specifically unused allocations that Tahoe Area Regional Planning Agency has held from Placer County over the last planning period. Supervisor Kranz suggested he attend the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency meetings.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS - None.
CONSENT AGENDA – Consent approved as presented with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board for Items #17. MOTION Holmes/Wegyandt/Unanimous
1. WARRANT REGISTERS – Week ending September 8, 15, 22 and 29, 2006.
2. AGRICULTURE COMMISSIONER:
a. Resolution 2006-301 adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign Contract #06-0028C with the State Department of Food and Agriculture, in an amount up to $4,672, for reimbursement for enforcing mandated programs for Pesticide Application Reporting.
b. Resolution 2006-302 adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign Contract #06-0411 with the State Department of Food and Agriculture, in an amount up to $41,102, for reimbursement for enforcing mandated programs for Pest Detection/Trapping and Emergency Reports.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Commendation honoring Alex Cushing for his contribution to the development of Squaw Valley USA Resort.
b. Approved Special Meetings to be held on Monday, October 30, and Monday, November 20, 2006.
c. Approved minutes of September 26, 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 2
OCTOBER 24, 2006
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims as recommended by County Counsel:
a. 06-097, Cummings, Maureen, $1,000 (Property Damage).
b. 06-101, Dragotta, Carla, $1,000 (Personal Injury).
c. 06-102, Snider, George, Not Stated (Bodily Injury).
d. 06-108, Hoover, Barry, Not Stated, (Bodily Injury).
5. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following Application for Leave to Present a Late Claim and its claim against Placer County as recommended by County Counsel.:
a. 06-099, Wetterhahn, Sue, $2,000,000 (Personal Injury).
6. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Fish and Game Commission - Approved appointment of John E. Maxwell to Seat #7 (Foresthill), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
b. Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Advisory Board – Approved appointment of Mary E. Ascargorta to Seat #2 (Consumer District #1) and Supervisor Holmes to Seat #16.
c. Placer County Resource Conservation District - Approved reappointment of Chris Paul to Seat #1 (At Large).
d. Wastewater Advisory Committee - Approved reappointment of Mark Navo to Seat #5, Guy Ostenson to Seat #6, Bill Carpenter Jr. to Seat #7, Mike Broyer to Seat #9, Marc Lindbloom to Seat #10, Cathy Spence-Wells to Seat #11 and James McKevitt to Seat #12.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING:
a. Contract - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign a contract with Parsons Brinckerhoff Construction Services, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $125,000, to provide project inspection services for various land development projects in western Placer County.
b. Green Hills Estates, Tract #919 - Approved the final map, Subdivision Improvement Agreement, and authorized the recording of the project, located between Newcastle and Rattlesnake Road.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approved a change in the Specification for Senior Deputy County Counsel.
b. Approved participation in the Salvation Army’s Auburn Community Thanksgiving Day Dinner by matching Placer County employee contributions dollar for dollar, up to a maximum of $1,500.
c. Approved the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure of budgeted infrastructure funds for Heritage Plaza Improvements and Regional Wayfinding Signage Request for Proposal, in an amount not to exceed $87,255.
e. Resolution 2006-303 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign the Memorandum of Understanding formalizing the relationship between the County and Placer County Air Pollution Control District.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 3
OCTOBER 24, 2006
f. Approved merit increase for Janet Fogarty, Managing Accountant Auditor, from Grade 454 Step 1 to Grade 454, Step 2, retroactive to August 5, 2006.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Resolution 2006-304 adopting the National Incident Management System as official regulatory guidance for emergency incident and disaster preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation within Placer County.
10. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT - Adopt Resolution 2006-305 and findings in order to provide $15,000, to finance the construction of public improvements for the Heritage Plaza Project located in the North Lake Tahoe Redevelopment Project area.
11. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Air Pollution Control District Lease Agreement - Approved agreement with the Air Pollution Control District for a portion of the County’s Community Development Resource Center, located at 3091 County Center Drive, Auburn.
b. Purchase of Sewer Inspection Truck - Approved budget revision to the FY 2006/07 Special Districts Budget, transferring $15,000 from the “Appropriation for Contingencies” Account to the “Fixed Asset, Equipment” Account, to allow an expenditure of up to $185,000 for the purchase of one Sewer Inspection Truck and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the contract documents for a used 2006 inspection truck from WECO Industries, in an amount not to exceed $185,000.
c. Recreation Area #3, Colfax Area – Approved the use of Park Dedication Fees, in the amount of $75,000, for restrooms at Colfax's Downtown Park and authorized the Chairman to execute the use agreement.
d. Sewer Assessment District 90 Fees - Adopted Minute Order 2006-02, regarding the Sewer Assessment District 90 Fee applied to density increases which directs staff to cease collection of the fee; freeze the reimbursement payment per lot at the current level, $4,881; and terminate the reimbursement program when specific conditions are met.
e. Trenchless Technology Sewer Rehabilitation, Project #40203/FY 2006/07 - Approved plans and specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids; Resolution 2006-306 adopted authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute the resulting construction contract, in an amount not to exceed $126,500, upon County Counsel’s review and approval, and approve any required change orders.
12. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Community Clinics - Approved agreement with North Lake Tahoe La Comunidad Unida, dba Kings Beach Family Resource Center, from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, in the amount not to exceed $45,000, for participation in the Healthy Families Rural Health Demonstration Project administered by Delta Dental and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
b. Human Services - Approved addendum to the Community Services Block Grant Contract with the Salvation Army (CN005399) for Calendar Year 2006, increasing the award from $30,356 to $45,356, for the emergency shelter, transitional housing and emergency services, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the amendment.
13. PERSONNEL - Approved Resolution 2006-307 through Resolution 2006-310 for the California Public Employees Retirement System, Health Benefits Division, which adopts the 2007 employer health insurance contribution levels effective January 1, 2007 for all Placer County employees and retirees.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 4
OCTOBER 24, 2006
14. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Placer County Code to approve classification revisions and reclassification of positions in the Office of Emergency Services, Sheriff’s Department and Facility Services Department to establish the probationary period for Deputy Sheriff Trainee at one year.
15. PROCUREMENT SERVICES -Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order, Pre-printed Envelopes/Central Services – Renewed blanket purchase order with Cenveo, in the maximum amount of $65,000.
b. Purchase Order #13238, Professional Voice & Data Cabling Services/Telecommunications – Renewed blanket purchase order with Sierra West Communications, in the maximum amount of $210,000.
16. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. California Tahoe Conservancy Site Improvement/Acquisition Grant Application – Resolution 2006-311 adopted approving preparation of the grant application for the West Sunnyside Erosion Control Project and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the document for FY2006/07 grant funding cycle.
b. City of Rocklin Transit Service Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) – Authorized the Board to execute a MOU for FY2006/07 with the City of Rocklin to pay $530,111, for the County to provide transit service to the City of Rocklin.
c. Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Authorization – Resolution 2006-312 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director or his designee to execute and file applications for Federal assistance on behalf of the Placer County Public Works Department (the Applicant); execute and file the required certifications, assurances and agreements on behalf of the Applicant binding the Applicant; and execute grant agreements and cooperative agreements with FTA on behalf of the Applicant.
d. Road Maintenance Division Budget/Fixed Asset Revision – Approved budget revision to appropriate $17,000 within existing Road Maintenance budget, moving it from Account 2481 (PC Acquisition) to Account 4451 (Fixed Assets) and approve the addition of a new computer server to the Master Fixed Asset List.
17. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY:
a. Adopted Resolution 2006-313 and Findings authorizing the execution of a memorandum of understanding with the Tahoe City Public Utility District, in order to provide $15,000 to finance the construction of public improvements for the Heritage Plaza Project, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee to execute all agreements subject to Agency Counsel review.
b. Approved a services agreement between the Placer County Redevelopment Agency and the North Tahoe Business Association, in the amount of $60,000, for implementation of the Main Street Program, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or Designee, to execute the contract, subject to the review of Agency Counsel.
c. Approved a services agreement between the Placer County Redevelopment Agency and the Tahoe City Downtown Association, in the amount of $60,000, for implementation of the Main Street Program, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or Designee, to execute the contract subject to the review of Agency Counsel.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 5
OCTOBER 24, 2006
18. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $1,000, in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Chamber of Commerce, Annual Holiday Parade, as requested Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Gaines, ($500 each).
19. SHERIFF - Approved a grant from the U.S. Department of Justice, in the amount of $246,807 for continuation Phase III of the Law Enforcement Radio Infrastructure and Upgrade and authorized the County Executive Officer and Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute the grant documents and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute all related purchasing documents, including three antenna tower and 28 digital trunking radios. The grant has been included in the Final 2006/07 Budget.
20. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR – Ratified temporary borrowing to date and approve continued temporary borrowing of Treasury funds in the estimated amount of $5,500,000 for FY 2006/07, by the Western Placer Unified School District as prescribed by the California State Constitution and approved a variance from Resolution #96-22, which prohibits temporary borrowing while an agency has outstanding proceeds from the issuance of short-term debt.
***End of Consent Agenda***
21. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. McKinney Rubicon Trail – Resolution 2006-314 adopted declaring the “McKinney Rubicon Trail” as a non-maintained public four-wheel drive trail. MOTION Kranz/Gaines/Unanimous
b. Tahoe City Transit Center Professional Services Agreement #73257– Resolution 2006-315 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign and approve an agreement with WRNS Studio, in the amount of $350,580, for architectural and civil design services, and authorized the Public Works Director to approve and sign future amendments up to $35,058.
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT (Swiss Mart/Service Station) – Resolution 2006-316 adopted making specific findings required by Health and Safety Code, Section 33445, for the purchase of 8797 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach, in the amount of $520,000, subject to review by County Counsel. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
23. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD (Swiss Mart/Service Station) – Adopted Resolution 2006-317 and Findings authorizing the purchase of 8797 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach (Assessor Parcel Numbers 090-192-041 and 090-192-055), in the amount of $520,000, plus closing costs, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or Designee to sign all documents subject to Agency Counsel review. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 6
OCTOBER 24, 2006
24. SHERIFF – Approved the purchase of equipment from the Homeland Security Grant Program and HR 2389, in an amount not-to-exceed $279,400, modification to the Master Fixed Asset List for equipment in excess of $5,000 per unit, the resulting budget revision and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute the purchase documents. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
25. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Meadow Vista Protection vs. Chevreaux Aggregates, Inc.; County of Placer; County of Placer Planning Department; and DOES 1 through 50, inclusive, Placer County Superior Court Case Number: SCV19614 – The Board received an update on the recent matters in that litigation.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: two potential cases – The Board, in one matter, authorized the hiring of the law firm of Somach and Simmons to assist Facility Services in administrative hearings. In the second matter they waived a potential conflict from Morrison and Foerster our counsel in some CEQA matters and approved that attorney client waiver.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board continued its conference with Labor Negotiators with regards to PPEO, DSA and Management.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
(C) §54957 - PUBLIC EMPLOYEE APPOINTMENT – The Board concurred with the appointment of Bob Martino as the Chief Building Official for Placer County.
Title: Chief Building Official
26. PERSONNEL – Recognition and presentation of awards to employees with 20 or more years of County service, with a reception to follow.
27. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a Commendation honoring Alex Cushing for his contribution to the development of Squaw Valley USA Resort.
28. PUBLIC WORKS/KINGS BEACH COMMERCIAL CORE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT – Received an update on the project including environmental document preparation, schedule and funding.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 7
OCTOBER 24, 2006
29. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/APPEAL/DESIGN REVIEW BUSHWACKER TREE SERVICE - Public hearing a an appeal by Bruce Yankton and Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal Company of the Planning Commission’s denial of an appeal of staff’s Design/Site Review approval of a Design/Site Review related to a tree service business. The property (APN #091-041-009 and 090-041-028) is located 710 Wolf Street, Kings Beach, and is currently zoned PAS26 (Kings Beach Industrial Community Plan -Commercial Public Service).
Public hearing closed. Approved the appeal with modified conditions and language added to Condition A stating “If any of the existing structures are demolished, any structure to replace it be built to current standards and current design requirements.” Approved the Design/Site Review application for the Bushwackers project (PDSDT20050306), subject to the findings and modified conditions of approval set forth in Exhibit 4. The Board directed staff to inspect the structural integrity of the structures on the property. MOTION Kranz/Weygandt/Unanimous
30. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/GENERAL PLAN AMENDMENT REZONING/WILDEROTTER (PREAT20060138) MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION - Public hearing closed. Ordinance 5433-B and Resolution 2006-318 adopted approving a request from Kaufman Planning, on behalf of Dave Wilderotter, for a General Plan Amendment and Rezoning to redesignate the subject property from the Plan Area 001B (Tahoe City Industrial), into Special Area #1 of Plan Area 002 (Fairway Tract) based on findings, and subject to one condition of approval. This change allows for the future development of multi-family residential development on the property, as a subsequent project. The property (APN 094-010-007) is located at 774 Jackpine Street in Tahoe City.
31. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/ZONING TEXT AMENDMENT MODIFICATION OF SECTION 135.23 OF THE SQUAW VALLEY LAND USE ORDINANCE (PZTA T2006 0328) - Public hearing closed. Ordinance 5434-B adopted approving a request by Michael Goss, representing the Squaw Valley Business Association, to amend Section 135.23 of the Squaw Valley Land Use Ordinance (Signs), to allow for a new “wayfinding” program for the Squaw Valley area, based on the finding. The purpose of the program is to provide for a new sign program to direct visitors to Squaw Valley to key destination locations within the Squaw Valley area.
32. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/NORTHSTAR COMMUNITY SERVICES DISTRICT (CSD) – Resolution 2006-319 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign a property tax sharing agreement with the Northstar CSD, pursuant to the annexation of the Northstar Highlands project territory. As a result of the annexation, the territory will be within the Northstar CSD, with the District providing, fire, road maintenance and snow removal services. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 8
OCTOBER 24, 2006
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
33. SHERIFF – Inmate Welfare Fund Annual Reports for FY 2005/06.
ADJOURNMENT – Next meeting is Monday, October 30, 2006. Next regularly scheduled meeting is Tuesday, November 7, 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
October 30, 2006
November 07, 2006
December 05, 2006
November 20, 2006
December 19, 2006