COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Anthony La Bouff, County Counsel.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT - Mechelle Buhan and Rosemary Frieborn, Friends of the Animals, discussed issues relating to Animal Services. Mary Dietrich, Facility Services, advised that the Central Valley Chapter of the American Institute of Architects presented a merit award to Williams+Paddon Architects+Planners for their design of the County’s Community Development Resource Agency Building. Mike Giles expressed concern over the need for zoning regulations pertaining to winery tasting rooms.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Holmes spoke about a recent trip he took to Hidden Falls Park.
CONSENT AGENDA - Consent Agenda approved as presented with action as indicated.
1. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
b. Personnel/Civil Service Commission – Ordinance 5436-B adopted amending Placer County Code to approve classification revisions and reclassification of positions in the Office of Emergency Services, Sheriff’s Department and Facility Services Department to establish the probationary period for Deputy Sheriff Trainee at one year.
2. AGRICULTURE - Resolution 2006-320 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign a three-year rental agreement for FY 2006/09 with El Dorado County, in an amount of up to $2,000 per year, for El Dorado County’s weight testing truck and equipment.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Approved a Proclamation declaring November as Prematurity Awareness Month in Placer County.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 06-095, Jorgenson, Ba’Shay, $40 (Property Loss).
b. 06-111, Wallace, Jeaneen, $1,267.85 (Property Damage).
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 2
NOVEMBER 7, 2006
5. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Auburn Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointment of Michael Crouson, alternate for Terry Crouson, to Seat 11 (Marine Corp League), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. First 5 Placer Children and Families Commission – Approved reappointment of Dr. Sandra Naylor-Goodwin to Seat 7 (Child Behavioral Health) for a three-year term.
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING/WILLOW PARK SUBDIVISION, TRACT #926, PROJECT #8280 – Accepted improvements as complete, reduced the Faithful Performance to 25% and Labor and Materials to 50%, holding for six months or longer if claims exist. The subdivision is located south of PFE Road and west of Cook-Riolo Road, in western Placer County.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING:
a. Authorized the County Executive Officer to execute the first contract amendment with Adrienne Graham, in the amount of $40,000, to provide planning services for the Placer Vineyards project.
b. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute the third contract amendment with Quad Knopf Inc., based upon the scope of work amount of $20,000, to assist the Planning Department with the expedited review for the Home Depot Project.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Resolution 2006-321 adopted executing the California State Fair Official Entry Form and appointing James Durfee, Facility Services Director, to be the official representative for the County of Placer in matters pertaining to the County’s 2007 State Fair Exhibit.
b. Approved a merit increase for
Rui Cunha, Emergency Services Program Manager, from Grade 445, Step
4 to Grade 445, Step 4 5, retroactive to May 2, 2006.
c. Approved a merit increase for John Marin, Director of Community Development Resource Agency, from Grade 663, Step 3 to Grade 663, Step 4, effective November 8, 2006.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Approved a budget revision for three portable changeable message signs to be purchased with Homeland Security Grant Program funds for the Department of Public Works, authorized the Purchasing Manager to solicit bids and sign a contract, in an amount not to exceed $60,000, and added the items to the Master Fixed Asset List.
10. FACILITY SERVICES/ AUBURN JUSTICE CENTER, PROJECT #4674 - Upon Procurement Services’ determination of the lowest responsive and responsible bidder, authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign a purchase order for office furnishings, in an amount not to exceed $200,000, for the new Auburn Justice Center located in the Placer County Government Center, North Auburn.
11. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Administration - Approved the purchase of an Identix Livescan Fingerprint and Identification System, printer and software and support, in the amount of $18,000, approved a budget revision in the total amount of $18,000, and added the system to the Master Fixed Asset List.
b. Adult System of Care - Approved a consulting agreement with Streamline Consulting Group, Inc., from September 1, 2006 through August 31, 2008, in the amount of $96,000, to provide facilitation and planning services for the Continuous Quality Improvement Program and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 3
NOVEMBER 7, 2006
c. Children’s System of Care - Approved a consulting agreement with ProProse, from November 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, in the amount of $123,000, to provide social marketing services for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Children’s Mental Health Initiative Grant, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
d. Children’s System of Care - Approved a contract for Intensive Treatment Foster Care Services with St. Vincent’s Foster Family Agency, from July 1, 2005 through June 30, 2007, in the amount of $100,000, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
e. Children’s System of Care - Approved a consulting agreement with Paul “Pablo” Stansbery, from November 1, 2006 through June 30, 2008, in the amount of $120,000, to provide evaluation of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Children’s Mental Health Initiative Grant and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
f. Children’s System of Care – Approved a grant agreement with Stuart Foundation for FY 2006/07 awarding Placer County Health & Human Services $25,000 for expansion of the Family to Family program and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign.
g. Children’s System of Care - Approved a contract with The Effort, Inc., from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, in the amount of $16,000, for intensive out client substance abuse treatment services and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
h. Community Clinics - Approved a contract employee agreement with Mitchel Ruffman, D.D.S., from November 17, 2006 through November 16, 2007, for a total contract amount of $181,214, to provide dental services.
i. Community Health - Approved the Emergency Medical Services Appropriation Standard Agreement for FY 2006/07 and authorized the Chairman to sign in order to initiate the release of Placer County’s allocation of $82,530 from the State Department of Health Services.
j. Community Health - Approved a revenue agreement with Sutter Health Sacramento Sierra Region, dba Sutter Roseville Medical Center and Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital, for Placer County to provide nursing services under the Family Support Project, from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, in the amount of $19,400, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the contract and subsequent amendments.
12. LIBRARY - Approved the 5:00 p.m. closure of Placer County Library branches on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 due to the Thanksgiving Holiday.
13. PERSONNEL - Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, relating to a salary increase to new state minimum wage level for the Occupational Trainee classification.
14. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Allocation of Positions, relating to the reclassification of one Technology Solutions Analyst I/II position to Senior Technology Solutions Analyst in the Clerk Recorder-Registrar of Voter’s Department and reclassification of one Client Services Program Manager position to Assistant Client Services Program Director in the Health and Human Services Department.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 4
NOVEMBER 7, 2006
15. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9618, Clinical & Forensic Laboratory Services/Health & Human Services – Awarded to Laboratory Corporation, in the maximum aggregate amount of $125,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13584, Floor Covering Products & Services/Facility Services - Approved Change Order #1, with Contract Furnishings, in the amount of $63,000.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13607, Asphalt Emulsion/Public Works – Approved Change Order #2 with Kent’s Oil Service, Inc., in the amount of $125,000.
16. PUBLIC WORKS/CONGESTION MITIGATION AND AIR QUALITY PROGRAM – Approved the submittal of the Placer County request for Congestive Mitigation and Air Quality funding to Placer County Transportation Planning Agency for improved regional air quality.
17. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $500, in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Chamber of Commerce for the annual Leadership Auburn Training Program, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $250, in Revenue Sharing monies to the Crime Victims United Charitable Foundation’s 16th Annual Classic Cup Golf Tournament, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $400, in Revenue Sharing monies to the City of Roseville for the Annual Roseville Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration, as requested by Supervisor Santucci and Supervisor Gaines ($200 each).
d. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $1,750, in Revenue Sharing monies to the Newcastle Area Business Association for the 13th Annual Mountain Mandarin Festival, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($250), Supervisor Weygandt ($250), Supervisor Holmes ($1,000) and Supervisor Gaines ($250).
e. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $400, in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer County Ducks Unlimited for the 31st Anniversary Banquet fund raising event, as requested by Supervisor Santucci, Supervisor Weygandt, Supervisor Holmes and Supervisor Gaines ($100 each).
a. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Allocations and Compensation, Section 3.12.030, Schedule of Classifications, Salary Plan and Grade Unclassified Service, and Section 3.12.040, Salaries-Placer County Sheriff’s Ordinance Initiative, to reflect the addition of the Assistant Sheriff position.
b. Accepted a vehicle donation, in the estimated amount of $50,000, from Search and Rescue, a non-profit organization, to be used in Placer County Search and Rescue operations and add to the Master Fixed Asset List.
19. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR:
a. Approved the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds for FY 2006/07, in the estimated amount of $250,000, by the Auburn Area Recreation and Park District.
b. Approved the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds for FY 2006/07, in the estimated amount of $48,000, by the Newcastle Fire Protection District.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 5
NOVEMBER 7, 2006
20. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/PERSONNEL – This item will also be considered at the November 20, 2006 Board Meeting.
a. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, adopting the Memorandums of Understanding with the Placer Public Employee Organization Professional and General Units regarding salaries, benefits and rule changes for the period July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2010.
b. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, adjusting the salary, compensation, and benefits of management and confidential employees and Resolution 2006-323 adopted confirming Board policy for existing coverage groups. MOTION Weygandt/Holmes VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
c. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, adjusting the salary, compensation and benefits of elected department heads. MOTION Weygandt/Holmes VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/OTHER POST EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS – Adopted Resolution 2006-324 adopting the policy. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/CAPITAL FACILITIES IMPACT FEE – Resolution 2006-325 adopted accepting the FY 2005/06 annual report and findings. MOTION Weygandt/Holmes/Unanimous
23. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT:
a. Community Development Block Grant and HOME Program - Resolution 2006-329 adopted authorizing an increase in down payment assistance and housing rehabilitation maximum loan amounts to $125,000, in the program guidelines. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
b. Housing Trust Funds - Resolution 2006-330 adopted authorizing an affordable housing covenant and regulatory agreement allocating $200,000 in County housing trust funds to PEACE For Families and authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO–Redevelopment Director or Designee to execute all agreements subject to County Counsel approval. MOTION Holmes/Kranz/Unanimous
c. Siphon Relief Project - Resolution 2006-331 adopted with findings for the allocation of $2,000,000 for the North Auburn Redevelopment Project Area Siphon Relief Project, subject to review by County Counsel. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
24. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD/SIPHON RELIEF PROJECT - Resolution 2006-332 adopted with specific findings approving the expenditure of $2,000,000 for the North Auburn Redevelopment Project Area Siphon Relief Project and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO–Redevelopment Director, or designee, to execute the documents subject to Agency Counsel approval.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
AND RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 6
NOVEMBER 7, 2006
25. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Agreement - Approved agreement with MHM Engineering, in an amount not to exceed $249,222, to provide aerial mapping services associated with the Regional Wastewater Project; and approved a budget revision appropriating funds. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
b. Agreement - Approved agreement with MHM Engineering, in an amount not to exceed $249,925, to provide surveying services associated with the Regional Wastewater Project.
c. County Service Area 28, Zone 6 (Sheridan) - Resolution 2006-333 adopted increasing the Sheridan Wastewater Pond Construction Project budget from $800,000 to $905,000, authorized a loan in the amount of $135,000 from the County Service Area Revolving Fund to CSA 28, Zone 6; and approved budget revision appropriating the loan proceeds in FY 2006/07.
d. Lease Agreement - Approved lease agreement with 49 Fitness, Inc., dba Courthouse Athletic Club, for the facility located in the Placer County Government Center, 11558 F Avenue, Auburn.
26. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Approved the FY 2006/07 Performance Agreement with the State Department of Mental Health, which delineates State requirements for mental health services, authorized the County to claim the allocated funds and authorized the Chairman to sign.
b. Children’s System of Care - Approved the contract with United Advocates for Children of CA. (UACC) from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, providing State Department of Mental Health (DMH) pass-through funding to provide Statewide public policy and parent-to-parent education and support, in the amount of $160,000, and approved an amendment to Contract #012199 with UACC, adding Parent Involvement Program (PIP) services to provide parent support and advocacy services to parents participating in the Children’s System of Care from July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2007, in the amount of $163,155, for a revised total contract amount of $992,701, and authorized the Health and Human Services Director to sign the DMH agreement, the PIP amendment and subsequent amendments. MOTION Holmes/Gaines/Unanimous
27. PUBLIC WORKS/WILLOW CREEK DRIVE EXTENSION PROJECT, CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT #73265 – Resolution 2006-334 adopted to award contract to the lowest bidder, in an amount not to exceed $2,200,000, for the project; authorized the Chairman execute the construction contract and authorized the Public Works Director to execute contract change orders up to 10% of the contract amount, with approval of County Counsel on required bonds and insurance.
28. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Judi Jackson vs. County of Placer, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Case No.: CIV.S. 05-79 FCD KJM – The Board received a report from Counsel and gave direction.
(b) Kirsten Fisher vs. Placer County, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Case No.: CV 00771 FCD DAD The Board received a report that the County had successfully won the motion for summary judgment in that case.
(c) County of Placer v. Nacht & Lewis Architects, Inc., Placer Superior Court Case No. SCV-17993 – The Board received a report from Counsel and gave direction.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 7
NOVEMBER 7, 2006
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR – The Board had a report and gave direction to its negotiators.
(a) Property: Commercial Building, 10 West Church Street, Colfax, CA: APN 006-091-006.
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer and Jeffery and Karen Williams, husband and wife as joint tenants. Negotiation: Terms of payment and conditions of the purchase and sale.
(C) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR - The Board did not receive any labor negotiations with regards to PPEO or Management but got a brief update on the status of ongoing discussions with the DSA.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director, Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
(D) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – Had discussions with its Labor Negotiators and gave direction.
(a) Authority negotiator: Executive Director, Employee organization: United Domestic Workers of America.
ADJOURNED AS THE IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
29. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/ COMMEMORATIVE COIN AWARDS – Awarded 2006 Commemorative Coin awards to recipients personally chosen by the Supervisor for their district in recognition for either their acts of heroism, longstanding community service, or exceptional acts that have dramatically improved or impacted people’s lives.
30. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY GRANTS & LOANS – Public hearing closed. Resolution 2006-322 adopted transferring $60,000 of Community Development Block Grant Program Income to the Housing Rehabilitation Revolving Loan Account from the Business Assistance Revolving Loan Account. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Gaines temporarily absent)
31. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS – Demonstration of operation and deployment of Help America Vote Act (HAVA) compliant and accessible touch screen voting machines for November 7, 2006 General Election.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 8
NOVEMBER 7, 2006
32. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ISSUANCE & SALE OF TAX-EXEMPT BONDS:
a. Eskaton Properties, Granite Bay - Public hearing closed to discuss the proposed issuance of tax-exempt revenue bonds by the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) Finance Authority for Nonprofit Corporations (Authority) to finance or refinance the acquisition of an existing senior residential and care facility in Granite Bay by Eskaton Properties, Incorporated, and Resolution 2006-326 adopted authorizing the Authority’s issuance of the bonds for the Granite Bay facility.
MOTION Gaines/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Kranz temporarily absent)
b. Eskaton Properties, Roseville - Public hearing closed to discuss the proposed issuance of tax-exempt revenue bonds by the Authority to finance the construction of a new residential and care facility in Roseville by Eskaton and Resolution 2006-327 adopted authorizing the Authority’s issuance of the bonds for the Roseville facility.
MOTION Gaines/Weygandt/Unanimous VOTE 4:0 (Kranz temporarily absent)
33. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/LAND DEVELOPMENT PROCESSING, INSPECTION AND REVIEW FEES - Public hearing closed. 1) Ordinance 5437-B adopted amending sections of County Code Articles 2.18, 16.08, 16.16 and 16.20 increasing Engineering and Surveying fees and taking other related actions; 2) Ordinance 5438-B adopted adding County Code Section 17.58.015 regarding Mandatory Predevelopment Meetings on certain Planning applications; and, 3) Resolution 2006-328 adopted approving fee increases and confirming other fees associated with Planning applications. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
34. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of September 2006.
ADJOURNMENT – Adjourned to the November 20, 2006 Board Meeting.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
November 20, 2006 (Monday)
December 05, 2006
December 19, 2006
AGENDA AVAILABLE VIA FAX (530) 889-6800
OR FROM PLACER COUNTY’S WEBSITE www.placer.ca.gov
The Placer County Board of Supervisors met in a regular session at 9:00 a.m., Tuesday, November 7, 2006, in the County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn. Supervisors Santucci, Weygandt, Holmes, Gaines and Kranz present. Chairman Santucci presiding; Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board. Also present were County Executive Thomas Miller and County Counsel Anthony J. La Bouff.
ADJOURNMENT - There being no further business, the Board adjourned. Next regular meeting is Tuesday, December 5, 2006.
Ann Holman Bill Santucci, Chairman
Clerk of the Board Placer County Board of Supervisors
Supervising Board Clerk