COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Supervisor Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15 minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 18) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion. The Board will convene as the Redevelopment Agency Board on Item #15.
1. WARRANT REGISTER - Weeks ending November 10, 17, 24 and December 1, 2006.
2. ORDINANCES – Second reading: a. Personnel/Civil Service Commission - Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1 and Section 3.12.020, relating to positions within the departments of Administrative Services, Agricultural Commissioner-Sealer of Weights and Measures and the Auditor-Controller.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution commending Norris Cushing , Senior Parks and Grounds Worker, upon his retirement of over twenty years of service.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 2
DECEMBER 19, 2006
b. Commendations for the Old Fruitvale School Community History & Agriculture Project and the Colfax Passenger Depot Renovation Project for receiving the Governor’s Historic Preservation Awards.
c. Commendation for Leonard R. Inch for his forthright vision and dedication to Sierra-Sacramento Valley Emergency Medical Services Agency.
d. Renew six-month contract, with Lyndell Grey , for District 2 web page maintenance and other general administrative assistance, effective January 1, 2007.
e. Renew six-month contract, with Roger Canfield , for District 5 web page maintenance and other general administrative assistance, effective January 1, 2007.
f. Authorize additional hours within the District 5 Tahoe Field Deputy contract position.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – County Counsel recommends rejection of the following claims:
a. 06-103, Bailey, Marie, Not Stated, (Fatal).
b. 06-111, Owens, Randy and Charal, $28,298, (Property Loss).
5. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Developmental Disabilities Area Board III – Approve appointment of William Nelson to Seat 10 (Placer County).
b. In-Home Support Services Advisory Committee – Accept the resignation of Karen Boal (Seat 9).
c. North Auburn Municipal Advisory Council – Approve reappointment of Edward Koons to Seat 3, Dave Hungerford to Seat 4 and Jacquie Flecklin to Seat 6, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Older Adult Advisory Commission – Approve appointment of David Shirley, M.D., to Seat 16 (Senior Service Organization).
e. Penryn Area Municipal Advisory Council – Approve reappointment of Robert Brodovsky to Seat 1 and Patty Neifer to Seat 4, and accept the resignation of Michael Sasko (Seat 3), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
f. Placer County Cemetery District #1 (Lincoln) – Approve appointment of Steven C. Rice to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING:
a. Bond Screening Committee - Resolution adopting the revised rules and procedures, effective January 1, 2007.
b. Penryn Park Subdivision – Approve the final map, subdivision improvement agreement and authorize the recording of the project, located adjacent to Boyington Road in Penryn.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 3
DECEMBER 19, 2006
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING - Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the third contract amendment with Quad Knopf, in the amount of $121,563, for additional work related to the preparation of the Foresthill Divide Community Plan.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approve merit increase for Christiana Darlington, Deputy County Counsel II, from Grade 447, Step 3, to Grade 447, Step 4, retroactive to September 30, 2006.
b. Approve merit increase for Kimberly Hawley , Chief Deputy Treasurer, from Grade 469, Step 2, to Grade 469, Step 3, retroactive to November 25, 2006.
c. Approve merit increase for David Snyder, Director of Economic Development, from Grade 466, Step 1, to Grade 466, Step 2, retroactive to October 14, 2006.
9 COUNTY EXECUTIVE/MARTIS VALLEY OPEN SPACE FEES – 1) Continue work with the Trust for Public Lands, the Tahoe Donner Land Trust and other potential funding partners in the development of a funding package for purchase of the Waddle Ranch property in the Martis Valley; and; 2) Confirm the intention of the Board of Supervisors to participate in the purchase, through contribution of open space fees to be collected in the Martis Valley, pending successful negotiation of an acceptable funding package and deal points relation to the transaction; and 3) Authorize the Chairman to sign a letter confirming the County’s intention to participate in the purchase.
10. FACILITY SERVICES/SHERIDAN SMALL COMMUNITY WASTEWATER GRANT - Resolution designating the Facility Services Director as the authorized representative to apply for a Sheridan Small Community Wastewater Grant, in an amount not to exceed $2,000,000; and authorize the Facility Services Director to negotiate and execute a grant contract and any amendments upon review and approval by Risk Management and County Counsel and certify grant disbursements.
11. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult Systems of Care - Approve contract with the State Institute of Mental Health, from November 1, 2006 through June 30, 2008, in an amount not to exceed $120,000, for training and facilitation and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
b. Adult System of Care - Approve contract with Davis Guest Home, Inc., from January 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008, in an amount not to exceed $150,000, for residential board and care services and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
c. Adult System of Care - Approve contract employee agreements for the provision of psychiatric services, authorizing the Chairman to sign the resulting contracts and any subsequent amendments for the following:
1. Donna L. Schindler, MD, from January 16, 2007 through October 15, 2007, for a total employee compensation amount of $120,148 and
2. Olga Ignatowicz, MD, from December 27, 2006 through August 26, 2007, for a total employee compensation amount of $206,000.
d. Animal Services - Authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign spay and neuter grant agreements, in the amount of $5,000 each, with the Friends of Auburn/Tahoe Vista Placer County Animal Shelter, Animal Spay & Neuter and FieldHaven Feline Rescue.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 4
DECEMBER 19, 2006
e. Children’s System of Care - Approve agreement with Gerald Brody, M.D., from January 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007, for a total employee compensation amount of $116,072, for psychiatric services as a contract employee.
f. Community Health - Approve agreement with Placer County Office of Education for FY 2006/07 Community Challenge Sub-Grant, in the amount of $113,620, and any subsequent amendments.
12. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION:
a. Introduction of an ordinance, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.020 , Classified Service, for the classification of Flood Control & Water Conservation District Engineer.
b. Authorize the County Executive Officer to sign a consultant services contract with Mary Egan , in an amount not to exceed $100,000, for human resource services for the Health & Human Services Department.
13. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9611, Institutional Clothing & Bedding/Sheriff – Award to Leslee Scott, Caroline Texas, LC Textiles and Charmex, in the maximum aggregate amount of $75,500.
b. Bid #9634, Uniform Rental & Laundry Services/Various Departments - Award to Aramark Uniform Service, in the maximum aggregate amount of $244,986.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13295 , Passenger Car, Truck & Heavy Equipment Tires/Public Works - Approve Change Order #1 with Auburn Tire, in the amount of $30,000.
d. Blanket Purchase Order #13297 , Aviation Fuel/Sheriff – Renew with Multi Service Corporation, in the maximum amount of $70,000.
e. Blanket Purchase Order #13363 , Local Equipment Rentals/Public Works – Approve Change Order #3, with Hertz Equipment Rental, in the amount of $20,000.
f. Blanket Purchase Order #13415, GPS Electronic Monitoring Services - Renew with Pro Tech Monitoring, Inc., in the maximum amount of $100,000.
g. Blanket Purchase Order #13703, Plumbing Supplies/Facility Services - Approve Change Order #1 with Anderson’s Sierra Pipe Co., in the amount of $20,000.
h. Cancellation of Bid #9582, Replacement of Compressor Pumps/Public Works – Cancel bid and award Bid #9627 to TNT Industrial Contractors Inc., in the amount of $142,813.
i. Purchase Order, Road Sweeping Services/Public Works - Renew blanket purchase order with Wells Sweeping LLC, in the maximum amount of $80,000.
14. PUBLIC WORKS/MASTER FIXED ASSET LIST – Approve the addition of seven (7) vehicles to FY 2006/07 Master Fixed Asset List, approved in the Final Budget at the department level, but omitted from the Fleet Fund, and approve a budget adjustment to increase the Fleet Services Fund’s appropriations and revenues which will allow for procurement of these vehicles.
15. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD - Accept the Annual Report of Financial Transactions and the Annual Housing Activity Report and authorize staff to transmit the reports to the State Controller and the State Department of Housing and Community Development.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 5
DECEMBER 19, 2006
16. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation, in the amount of $250, in Revenue Sharing monies, to FieldHaven Feline Rescue for their Spay Neuter Assistance Program, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
b. Approve appropriation, in the amount of $200 , in Revenue Sharing monies, to the Woodcreek High School for the 2007 Sober Grad Night, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
c. Approve appropriation, in the amount of $750 , in Revenue Sharing monies, to the Sportsmen’s Legacy Foundation for the Wood Duck Nesting Box Program, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($500) and Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
17. SHERIFF - Resolution authorizing the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to submit the Mentally Ill Offender Crime Reduction Grant and to execute the agreement and any related amendments, in the amount of $1,000,000, plus a County match of $250,000, that will be implemented by Health and Human Services Adult System of Care for the Jail to Adult System of Care Plus Program. A budget revision will be submitted for approval to implement the grant.
18. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Ratify temporary borrowing since September 2006 and approve the continued temporary borrowing of Treasury funds, in the estimated amount of $500,000, by the Placer Mosquito Abatement District for FY 2006/07.
***End of Consent Agenda***
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE NOON, AS TIME ALLOWS
19. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT - Reject non-responsive bid from Folsom Lake Ford and award Bid #9622 to Downtown Ford, in the amount of $274,680.90, for Sheriff Patrol Sedans.
20. FACILITY SERVICES/PLACER COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION, PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS Approve the following actions associated with County owned real property at the intersection of Library Drive and Nevada Street, Auburn, transferring property between the County of Placer and the Placer County Office of Education (PCOE):
1. By 4/5 vote, approve agreement with PCOE for the transfer of 3.16± acres of County property within a portion of APN 001-032-032 (Transfer Property); and,
2. Adopt a resolution, delegating authority to the Facility Services Director, or his designee, to execute all documents and to take all actions necessary to complete the transfer.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Approve contract employee agreement with Paul M. Jurkowski, M.D., from December 23, 2006 through December 22, 2007, for a total employee compensation amount of $278,995, for the provision of psychiatric services.
b. Human Services - Approve addendum to the Placer County CalWORKs Plan and a revision to the Transportation Section of the current CalWORKs Plan, and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign and submit both plans and any further revisions as required by the State Department of Social Services.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 6
DECEMBER 19, 2006
22. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION - Introduction of a salary ordinance, amending Chapter 3, Article 3.12, Section 3.12.030, implementing a 2% salary range increase for the County Executive Officer.
23. SHERIFF/AUBURN JUSTICE CENTER - Approve the following actions required for the Department’s initial occupancy of the facility:
1. Approve purchase of dispatch equipment, audio visual systems, shelving and specialty equipment; and
2. Approve a Master Fixed Asset modification for equipment and structures and improvements, in the amount of $34,545 and $342,685, respectively; and
3. By 4/5 vote, approve a budget revision transferring funds from Facility Services/Capital Improvements and within the Sheriff’s Department; and
4. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute related documents to procure the items needed, in an amount not-to-exceed $480,000.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN:
24. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Farewell remarks from Assemblyman Ted Gaines and appreciation to former colleagues and Placer County for the successes achieved during his tenure as Placer County Supervisor representing District 4.
25. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/WILLIAMSON ACT CONTRACT:
a. PAGP 20060742 Williamson Act/Steven & Pamela Harnagel – Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution to create a 40-acre Williamson Act Contract and Agricultural Preserve. The two properties are zoned Farm and are characterized by grassland, oak woodland and riparian corridor. One of the twenty-acre parcels is developed with a two-acre vineyard, located in District 5.
b. PAGP 20060236 Williamson Act/Fredrick & Kathleen Penney – Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution creating a Williamson Act Contract for dry pasture, beef cattle grazing. The two properties are zoned Farm and total 51-acres of pasture, oak woodland and riparian corridor. The properties seasonally support between eight and 30 head of cattle, located in District 3.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 7
DECEMBER 19, 2006
26. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Presentation of a commendation to Lyndell Grey , on behalf of the Old Fruitvale School Community History & Agriculture Project, for receiving the Governor’s Historic Preservation Award.
b. Presentation of a commendation to Joshua Alpine , on behalf of the Colfax Passenger Depot Renovation Project for receiving the Governor’s Historic Preservation Award.
27. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation to Leonard R. Inch for his forthright vision and dedication to Sierra-Sacramento Valley Emergency Medical Services Agency.
28. COUNTY COUNSEL/4TH DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISOR’S VACANCY – Approve appointment of a replacement Supervisor for District 4 vacated by now Assemblyman Ted Gaines; if an appointment is made, the Oath of Office will be administered.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
29. AUDITOR - Independent Accountant’s Report on the Treasurer’s Statement of Assets for the quarter ending September 30, 2006.
30. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of November 2006.