COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Supervisor Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Major William Dickinson, Salvation Army, thanked the Board for their support in the Thanksgiving Dinner Program. Nancyjo Riekse, Agriculture Marketing Director, provided a marketing strategy update. Chairman Santucci received recognition from Jim Durfee, Facility Services Director and Randy Smith, California Department of Forestry, for his years of dedicated service as a Supervisor.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – None given.
CONSENT AGENDA: Item #17 removed. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board on Item #15.
1. WARRANT REGISTER - Weeks ending November 10, 17, 24 and December 1, 2006.
2. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. Personnel/Civil Service Commission - Ordinance 5447-B adopted, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1 and Section 3.12.020, relating to positions within the departments of Administrative Services, Agricultural Commissioner-Sealer of Weights and Measures and the Auditor-Controller.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2006-353 adopted commending Norris Cushing, Senior Parks and Grounds Worker, upon his retirement of over twenty years of service.
b. Commendations for the Old Fruitvale School Community History & Agriculture Project and the Colfax Passenger Depot Renovation Project for receiving the Governor’s Historic Preservation Awards.
c. Commendation for Leonard R. Inch for his forthright vision and dedication to Sierra-Sacramento Valley Emergency Medical Services Agency.
d. Renewed six-month contract, with Lyndell Grey, for District 2 web page maintenance and other general administrative assistance, effective January 1, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 2
DECEMBER 19, 2006
e. Renewed six-month contract, with Roger Canfield, for District 5 web page maintenance and other general administrative assistance, effective January 1, 2007.
f. Authorized additional hours within the District 5 Tahoe Field Deputy contract position.
g. Approved minutes of November 7 & 20, 2006.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 06-103, Bailey, Marie, Not Stated, (Fatal).
b. 06-111, Owens, Randy and Charal, $28,298, (Property Loss).
5. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Developmental Disabilities Area Board III – Approved appointment of William Nelson to Seat 10 (Placer County).
b. In-Home Support Services Advisory Committee – Accepted the resignation of Karen Boal (Seat 9).
c. North Auburn Municipal Advisory Council – Approved reappointment of Edward Koons to Seat 3, Dave Hungerford to Seat 4 and Jacquie Flecklin to Seat 6, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
d. Older Adult Advisory Commission – Approved appointment of David Shirley, M.D., to Seat 16 (Senior Service Organization).
e. Penryn Area Municipal Advisory Council – Approved reappointment of Robert Brodovsky to Seat 1 and Patty Neifer to Seat 4, and accepted the resignation of Michael Sasko (Seat 3), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
f. Placer County Cemetery District #1 (Lincoln) – Approved appointment of Steven C. Rice to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING:
a. Bond Screening Committee - Resolution 2006-354 adopted revising rules and procedures, effective January 1, 2007.
b. Penryn Park Subdivision – Approved final map, subdivision improvement agreement and authorized the recording of the project, located adjacent to Boyington Road in Penryn.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the third contract amendment with Quad Knopf, in the amount of $121,563, for additional work related to the preparation of the Foresthill Divide Community Plan.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Approved merit increase for Christiana Darlington, Deputy County Counsel II, from Grade 447, Step 3, to Grade 447, Step 4, retroactive to September 30, 2006.
b. Approved merit increase for Kimberly Hawley, Chief Deputy Treasurer, from Grade 469, Step 2, to Grade 469, Step 3, retroactive to November 25, 2006.
c. Approved merit increase for David Snyder, Director of Economic Development, from Grade 466, Step 1, to Grade 466, Step 2, retroactive to October 14, 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 3
DECEMBER 19, 2006
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/MARTIS VALLEY OPEN SPACE FEES – 1) Staff to continue working with the Trust for Public Lands, the Tahoe Donner Land Trust and other potential funding partners in the development of a funding package for purchase of the Waddle Ranch property in the Martis Valley; and; 2) Confirmed the intention of the Board of Supervisors to participate in the purchase, through contribution of open space fees to be collected in the Martis Valley, pending successful negotiation of an acceptable funding package and deal points relation to the transaction; and 3) Authorized the Chairman to sign a letter confirming the County’s intention to participate in the purchase.
10. FACILITY SERVICES/SHERIDAN SMALL COMMUNITY WASTEWATER GRANT – Resolution 2006-355 adopted designating the Facility Services Director as the authorized representative to apply for a Sheridan Small Community Wastewater Grant, in an amount not to exceed $2,000,000; and authorized the Facility Services Director to negotiate and execute a grant contract and any amendments upon review and approval by Risk Management and County Counsel and certify grant disbursements.
11. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult Systems of Care - Approved
contract with the
State California Institute of Mental Health, from November
1, 2006 through June 30, 2008, in an amount not to exceed $120,000, for
training and facilitation and authorized the Health & Human Services Director
to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
b. Adult System of Care - Approved contract with Davis Guest Home, Inc., from January 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008, in an amount not to exceed $150,000, for residential board and care services and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
c. Adult System of Care - Approved contract employee agreements for the provision of psychiatric services, and authorized the Chairman to sign the resulting contracts and any subsequent amendments for the following:
1. Donna L. Schindler, MD, from January 16, 2007 through October 15, 2007, for a total employee compensation amount of $120,148 and
2. Olga Ignatowicz, MD, from December 27, 2006 through August 26, 2007, for a total employee compensation amount of $206,000.
d. Animal Services - Authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign spay and neuter grant agreements, in the amount of $5,000 each, with the Friends of Auburn/Tahoe Vista Placer County Animal Shelter, Animal Spay & Neuter and FieldHaven Feline Rescue.
e. Children’s System of Care - Approved agreement with Gerald Brody, M.D., from January 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007, for a total employee compensation amount of $116,072, for psychiatric services as a contract employee.
f. Community Health - Approved agreement with Placer County Office of Education for FY 2006/07 Community Challenge Sub-Grant, in the amount of $113,620, and any subsequent amendments.
12. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION:
a. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.020, Classified Service, for the classification of Flood Control & Water Conservation District Engineer.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 4
DECEMBER 19, 2006
b. Authorized the County Executive Officer to sign a consultant services contract with Mary Egan, in an amount not to exceed $100,000, for human resource services for the Health & Human Services Department.
13. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9611, Institutional Clothing & Bedding/Sheriff – Awarded to Leslee Scott, Caroline Texas, LC Textiles and Charmex, in the maximum aggregate amount of $75,500.
b. Bid #9634, Uniform Rental & Laundry Services/Various Departments - Awarded to Aramark Uniform Service, in the maximum aggregate amount of $244,986.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13295, Passenger Car, Truck & Heavy Equipment Tires/Public Works - Approved Change Order #1 with Auburn Tire, in the amount of $30,000.
d. Blanket Purchase Order #13297, Aviation Fuel/Sheriff – Renewed with Multi Service Corporation, in the maximum amount of $70,000.
e. Blanket Purchase Order #13363, Local Equipment Rentals/Public Works – Approved Change Order #3, with Hertz Equipment Rental, in the amount of $20,000.
f. Blanket Purchase Order #13415, GPS Electronic Monitoring Services - Renewed with Pro Tech Monitoring, Inc., in the maximum amount of $100,000.
g. Blanket Purchase Order #13703, Plumbing Supplies/Facility Services - Approved Change Order #1 with Anderson’s Sierra Pipe Co., in the amount of $20,000.
h. Cancellation of Bid #9582, Replacement of Compressor Pumps/Public Works – Canceled bid and awarded Bid #9627 to TNT Industrial Contractors Inc., in the amount of $142,813.
i. Purchase Order, Road Sweeping Services/Public Works - Renewed blanket purchase order with Wells Sweeping LLC, in the maximum amount of $80,000.
14. PUBLIC WORKS/MASTER FIXED ASSET LIST – Approved the addition of seven vehicles to FY 2006/07 Master Fixed Asset List, approved in the Final Budget at the department level, but omitted from the Fleet Fund, and approved a budget adjustment to increase the Fleet Services Fund’s appropriations and revenues which will allow for procurement of these vehicles.
15. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD - Accepted the Annual Report of Financial Transactions and the Annual Housing Activity Report and authorized staff to transmit the reports to the State Controller and the State Department of Housing and Community Development.
16. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $250, in Revenue Sharing monies, to FieldHaven Feline Rescue for their Spay Neuter Assistance Program, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
b. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $200, in Revenue Sharing monies, to the Woodcreek High School for the 2007 Sober Grad Night, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
c. Approved appropriation, in the amount of $750, in Revenue Sharing monies, to the Sportsmen’s Legacy Foundation for the Wood Duck Nesting Box Program, as requested by Supervisor Santucci ($500) and Supervisor Weygandt ($250).
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 5
DECEMBER 19, 2006
17. REMOVED FROM AGENDA/SHERIFF
Resolution authorizing the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to submit the Mentally
Ill Offender Crime Reduction Grant and to execute the agreement and any related
amendments, in the amount of $1,000,000, plus a County match of $250,000, that
will be implemented by Health and Human Services Adult System of Care for the
Jail to Adult System of Care Plus Program. A budget revision will be submitted
for approval to implement the grant.
18. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Ratified temporary borrowing since September 2006 and approved the continued temporary borrowing of Treasury funds, in the estimated amount of $500,000, by the Placer Mosquito Abatement District for FY 2006/07.
***End of Consent Agenda***
19. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT - Rejected non-responsive bid from Folsom Lake Ford and awarded Bid #9622 to Downtown Ford, in the amount of $274,680.90, for Sheriff Patrol Sedans. MOTION Holmes/Kranz/Unanimous
20. FACILITY SERVICES/PLACER COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION, PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS Approved the following actions associated with County owned real property at the intersection of Library Drive and Nevada Street, Auburn, transferring property between the County of Placer and the Placer County Office of Education (PCOE):
1. By 4/5 vote, approved agreement with PCOE for the transfer of 3.16± acres of County property within a portion of APN 001-032-032 (Transfer Property); and,
2. Adopted Resolution 2006-357 delegating authority to the Facility Services Director, or his designee, to execute all documents and to take all actions necessary to complete the transfer.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care - Approved contract employee agreement with Paul M. Jurkowski, M.D., from December 23, 2006 through December 22, 2007, for a total employee compensation amount of $278,995, for the provision of psychiatric services.
MOTION Holmes/Kranz/Unanimous VOTE 3:0 (Weygandt temporarily absent)
b. Human Services - Approved addendum to the Placer County CalWORKs Plan and a revision to the Transportation Section of the current CalWORKs Plan, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign and submit both plans and any further revisions as required by the State Department of Social Services. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
22. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Article 3.12, Section 3.12.030, implementing a 2% salary range increase for the County Executive Officer. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt VOTE 3:1 (Kranz No)
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 6
DECEMBER 19, 2006
23. SHERIFF/AUBURN JUSTICE CENTER - Approved the following actions required for the Department’s initial occupancy of the facility:
1. Approved purchase of dispatch equipment, audio visual systems, shelving and specialty equipment; and
2. Approved a Master Fixed Asset modification for equipment and structures and improvements, in the amount of $34,545 and $342,685, respectively; and
3. By 4/5 vote, approved a budget revision transferring funds from Facility Services/Capital Improvements and within the Sheriff’s Department; and
4. Authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute related documents to procure the items needed, in an amount not-to-exceed $480,000.
24. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Farewell remarks from Assemblyman Ted Gaines and appreciation to former colleagues and Placer County for the successes achieved during his tenure as Placer County Supervisor representing District 4.
25. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/WILLIAMSON ACT CONTRACT:
a. PAGP 20060742 Williamson Act/Steven & Pamela Harnagel – Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution to create a 40-acre Williamson Act Contract and Agricultural Preserve. The two properties are zoned Farm and are characterized by grassland, oak woodland and riparian corridor. One of the twenty-acre parcels is developed with a two-acre vineyard, located in District 5. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous to continue the public hearing to March 20, 2007, at 10:30 a.m. to allow for a workshop with the Board of Supervisors, Agricultural Commission and Planning Commission to discuss implications of the Williamson Act.
b. PAGP 20060236 Williamson Act/Fredrick & Kathleen Penney – Public hearing closed. Resolution 2006-356 adopted creating a Williamson Act Contract for dry pasture, beef cattle grazing. The two properties are zoned Farm and total 51-acres of pasture, oak woodland and riparian corridor. The properties seasonally support between eight and 30 head of cattle, located in District 3. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
26. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Presentation of a commendation to Lyndell Grey, on behalf of the Old Fruitvale School Community History & Agriculture Project, for receiving the Governor’s Historic Preservation Award.
b. Presentation of a commendation to Joshua Alpine, on behalf of the Colfax Passenger Depot Renovation Project for receiving the Governor’s Historic Preservation Award.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 7
DECEMBER 19, 2006
27. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a commendation to Leonard R. Inch for his forthright vision and dedication to Sierra-Sacramento Valley Emergency Medical Services Agency.
28. COUNTY COUNSEL/4TH DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISOR’S VACANCY – Approved appointment of Kirk Uhler as replacement Supervisor for District 4 vacated by now Assemblyman Ted Gaines. MOTION Weygandt/Holmes/Unanimous
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
29. AUDITOR - Independent Accountant’s Report on the Treasurer’s Statement of Assets for the quarter ending September 30, 2006.
30. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of November 2006.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is Tuesday, January 9, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
January 09, 2007
January 23, 2007
February 06, 2007
February 20, 2007
AGENDA AVAILABLE VIA FAX (530) 889-6800
OR FROM PLACER COUNTY’S WEBSITE www.placer.ca.gov