COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JULY 25, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you require disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Resort at Squaw Creek, Grand Sierra C
400 Squaw Creek Road
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Thomas Miller, County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15 minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA: All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 1 thru 12) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
1. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. Community Development Resource Agency - Ordinance amending Chapters 2 and 3 of the Placer County Code establishing the department of Engineering and Surveying and approving the revised specification for the Director of Engineering and Surveying.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 2
JULY 25, 2006
b. Personnel/Civil Service Commission - Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Allocation of Positions to Departments and Section 3.12.020, Schedule of Classification and Salary Grades Classified Service relating to the Sheriff, Account Auditor I/II be amended to Accountant Auditor Senior; Health and Human Services, Administrative Services Office Senior be amended to Budget and Fiscal Operations Manager, Cook Senior be amended to Client Services Counselor I/II/Senior; Facility Services, Administrative Clerk Senior be amended to Administrative Technician; Redevelopment Agency, Account Auditor I/II be amended to Accountant Auditor Senior; and new classification of titles of Chief Deputy Coroner and Application Support Technician be added.
2. WARRANT REGISTER - Weeks ending June 9, 16, 23 and 30, 2006.
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution commending Bill Schulze , Chief Building Official, Building Department, upon his retirement.
b. Resolution in support of the 4th Annual “Tour-de-Tahoe - Bike Big Blue” to be held on Sunday, September 10, 2006 around Lake Tahoe.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY - County Counsel recommends rejection of the following claims:
a. 06-053, McDonough, Phillip, $140 (Property Loss).
b. 06-068, Keith, Karen, $300,000 + (Bodily Injury).
c. 06-069, Rice, Daniel, $2,498 (Property Damage).
a. Foresthill Forum Advisory Council - Approve appointment of Martha E. “Marty” Vroege to Seat 3 and Brenda Dabovich to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Approve a merit increase for Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive Officer, from Grade 683, Step 1, to Grade 683, Step 2, retroactive to June 24, 2006.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Resolution approving the FY 2006/07 Northstar Fire Department Capital Facilities Plan Update that includes a 2% mitigation fee increase.
8. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Foresthill Fire Protection District - Approve agreement with the District for administration and maintenance of emergency accesses fuel load reduction and fire breaks as related to fire protection needs for the Monte Verde Estates Subdivision, located between Foresthill and Auburn, funded by County Service Area assessments.
b. Mining Museum Building - Approve lease agreement with the Twentieth District Agricultural Association, at the rate of $1,210 per month, for the Mining Museum Building at the Gold Country Fairgrounds, Auburn.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 3
JULY 25, 2006
9. PERSONNEL - Approve a Side Letter of Agreement with Placer County Public Employee Organization (PPEO) regarding the implementation of salary adjustments for the professional engineering and surveyor classifications and introduction of an ordinance amending Placer County Code Chapter 3, Sections 3.12.020 and 3.12.030, classified and unclassified service salaries for engineering and engineering management salaries.
10. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION - Introduction of an ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Allocation of Positions to Departments, reflecting the reclassifications of one Account Clerk Entry/Journey position to an Accounting Technician in the Sheriff’s Department, one Homemaker position, to a Client Services Assistant I/II in the Health and Human Services Department, and one Administrative Clerk Entry/Journey position to Secretary Entry/Journey in the Facility Services Department.
11. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Change Order, Ergonomic Chairs/Countywide – Approve change order to Blanket Purchase Order #13440 with Jacobs Office Interiors, in the revised amount of $81,000.
b. Contract, Inmate Pay Telephone Services & Equipment/Telecommunications - Renew with AT&T (formerly SBC/Pacific Bell).
c. Surplus Vehicles & Miscellaneous Equipment/Public Works - Declare vehicles and miscellaneous equipment as surplus and authorize disposal by public sale.
12. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Roseville Chamber of Commerce, 11TH Annual “SPLASH 2006”, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
b. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer Union High School District for the Theatre Creators “Summer Theatre Academy 2006”, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer Community Action Council Inc., for the 4th Annual “KidZKount Golf Tournament”, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
***End of Consent Agenda***
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE NOON, AS TIME ALLOWS
13. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES – Review staff presentation on the progress of the County’s Website Management Project and provide further guidance as appropriate.
14. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Agreement - Approve agreement with the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association for FY 2006/07, in the amount of $3,762,864, to promote tourism and benefit business through efforts that enhance the economic, environmental, recreational and cultural climate of the area.
b. Budgeted Infrastructure Funds - Approve the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure of budgeted infrastructure funds, in the amount of $185,000, for the Reno-Tahoe Airport Shuttle.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 4
JULY 25, 2006
15. PUBLIC WORKS/FORESTHILL SLIDE REPAIR – Resolution authorizing the Public Works Director to sign and approve a professional services agreement, with County Counsel review and approval of necessary bonds and insurance, with a consultant from the County’s Pre-Approved Consultant List, in an amount not to exceed $200,000, for construction management, inspection and materials testing services for the project, and authorize the Public Works Director to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services up to 7%.
16. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - Resolution approving the Redevelopment Agency's use of $300,000 to purchase an exclusive land easement in order to provide access to the Tahoe City Marina public parking structure, and make findings required by Health and Safety Code Section 33445, subject to the review of County Counsel.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
17. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD:
a. Purchase of Exclusive Land Easement - Resolution approving the use of $300,000 to purchase an exclusive land easement in order to provide access to the Tahoe City Marina Public Parking Structure, make findings required by Health and Safety Code Section 33445 and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee, to sign all related documents, subject to review of Agency counsel.
b. Agreement - Resolution authorizing an exclusive right to negotiate an agreement with Ferrari Corporation, Inc. to evaluate feasibility of projects on parcels owned by Ferrari Corporation, Inc., and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee, to sign all related documents, subject to the review of Agency counsel.
c. Housing Set-Aside Funds - Resolution to recommit up to $1 million in Redevelopment Housing Set-Aside Funds to assist in the development of affordable senior rental housing in North Lake Tahoe, subject to review of Agency counsel.
d. Land Dedication - Resolution authorizing acceptance of a land dedication, valued at $650,000, from the Tahoe Yacht Harbor LLC, and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee to sign all related documents, subject to review of Agency counsel.
e. Jackpine Street Public Parking Lot - Resolution approving the use of $48,000 in tax increment funds to purchase land coverage for the parking lot and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee, to sign all related documents, subject to the review of Agency counsel.
ADJOURN AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENE AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 5
JULY 25, 2006
PERSONNEL SESSION/LABOR RELATIONS
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Bickford Ranch Heritage Coalition of WPCARE; Town of Loomis; vs. County of Placer, et al.
Placer County Superior Court Case Number: SCV12793, Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District Case No.: C047630.
(b) Meadow Vista Protection, vs. Chevreaux Aggregates, Inc., County of Placer, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case Number: SCV19614.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN:
19. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of the “Placer County Meth Project” video produced by Placer County Health and Human Services, Placer County Administrative Services and staff from the Board of Supervisors.
20. PLANNING/THE NORTHSIDE (PSUBT20060278) REZONE FINAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT (PEIRT20050258) - Public hearing to consider a request from East-West Partners for the approval of a Rezone from RS-PD-3; RES-DS-PD-15; FOR (Residential Single-Family, Combining Planned Development of 3 dwelling units per acre; Resort, Combining Design Sierra, Combining Planned Development of 15 dwelling units per acre; Forestry) to RM-DS-PD-15; RM-DS-PD-6.0 (Residential Multi-Family, Combining Design Sierra, Combining Planned Development of 15 dwelling units per acre; Residential Multi-Family, Combining Design Sierra, Combining Planned Development of 6 dwelling units per acre) for the proposed Northside at Northstar residential development. The property (APN 110-080-015, 110-080-042, 110-250-001 and 110-025-002) is located within the Northstar-at-Tahoe development, west of the existing Village Center. The Board will consider adoption of a Final Environmental Impact Report (PEIRT20050258) for the project. Exhibit A - Vicinity Map, Exhibit B - Ordinance to adopt Rezone, Exhibit C - Proposed Findings, Exhibit D - Final Conditions
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 6
JULY 25, 2006
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Presentation regarding Placer County’s Place-Based Planning Component of Tahoe Regional Planning Agency’s Pathway 2007, 20-Year Regional Plan.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
August 01, 2006
August 15, 16 & 17, 2006 (Budget)
August 22, 2006
September 12, 2006
September 26, 2006
October 10, 2006
October 23, 2006 (Tahoe)
October 24, 2006 (Tahoe)