COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Thomas Miller, County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Mechelle Buhan and Anita Wright spoke about issues relating to Animal Services.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – None given.
CONSENT AGENDA - Item #12e & 19a moved for discussion. Consent Agenda
approved as amended with action as indicated.
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of a Resolution 2007-27 commending Ken Yorde upon his retirement and for his contribution and dedicated service on the Rocklin City Council.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of Resolutions 2007-20 through 2007-26 for Captain John FitzGerald (21 years), Captain Karl Fulenwider (27 years), Sergeant William “Chuck” Lichty (32 years), Randolph “Randy” Padilla, Deputy Sheriff ll (32 years), Alan Loeffler, Correctional Officer ll (21 years), Elizabeth “Liz” Liddle, Public Safety Dispatcher ll (27 years), and Gloria Ball, Senior Administrative Legal Clerk (28 years), congratulating them on their retirement and commending them for their years of dedicated public service as employees of Placer County.
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT - Presentation by the Placer County Office of Economic Development providing an informational update regarding the Reno-Tahoe Winter Games Coalition (RTWGC) and their efforts to explore bringing the 2018 Winter Olympics to the Reno-Tahoe region. The Board approved continued support of the RTWGC’s efforts.
4. PUBLIC WORKS/NEIGHBORHOOD TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT PROGRAM – Workshop to discuss the Placer County Neighborhood Traffic Management Program.
5. FACILITY SERVICES/COUNTY SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT #1 - Public hearing closed. Resolution 2007-38 adopted annexing property owned by Scott Pringle, APN 038-120-008 and 038-121-008, located on Edgewood Road in Auburn, into the district.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND CONVENED
AS THE IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
6. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT:
a. Contract, Health, Dental & Vision Insurance/In-Home Supportive Services - Approved one-year renewal with Symetra Life Insurance Co., in the maximum amount of $900,550, for Homecare Workers. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
b. Request for Proposal #9523, Case Management Software/Probation - Awarded to Automon Corporation and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute related agreements, in the maximum amount of $536,949. MOTION Uhler/Holmes/Unanimous
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES:
a. Contract - Resolution 2007-37 adopted approving the FY 2006/07 contract with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, in the amount of $5,851,482, including a General Fund contribution of $419,823, and authorized the Chairman to sign.
b. Grant - Accepted a Federal Department of Homeland Security Buffer Zone Protection Plan Grant, in the amount of $145,500, for use in improving security at three sites selected by the Federal Office for Domestic Preparedness in Roseville and approved the requisite budget revision.
8. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ADULT SYSTEM OF CARE - Approved the Mental Health Services Act Three-Year Program and Expenditure Plan Agreement with the State Department of Mental Health from February 1, 2006 through June 30, 2008, in the amount of $6,698,467, and authorized the Health & Human Services Director to sign future amendments. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
9. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Auburn Folsom Road Four-Lane Widening Project, South Phase, Bid #9660 – Resolution 2007-39 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director to award and execute a tree removal contract for the project, in an amount of $250,000, and authorized the Public Works Director to approve contract change orders up to 10% of the contract amount.
b. Foresthill Road Slide Repair Emergency Funding – Resolution 2007-40 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director to execute a reimbursement agreement with the Federal Highway Administration, up to an amount of $3,230,000, for storm damage to Foresthill Road including the Foresthill Road Slide Repair Project. MOTION Holmes/Weygandt/Unanimous
10. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/REVENUE SHARING - In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation in the amount of $200 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Koinonia Family Services for the Foster Care Program, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
MOTION Uhler/Rockholm VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
b. Approved appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lazarus Project for the 7th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Dinner Celebration, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt and Supervisor Holmes ($250 each). MOTION Uhler/Rockholm VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
c. Approved appropriation in the amount of $3,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Arts and Culture Foundation Annual Feats of Clay Celebration, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($500) and Supervisor Weygandt ($2,500). MOTION Uhler/Rockholm VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
d. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the 12th Annual PlacerGROWN Farm Conference, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt and Supervisor Holmes ($250 each).
MOTION Uhler/Rockholm VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
11. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Steven R. Suer, et. al. vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-17945 – The Board approved the substitution of special counsel hiring Dana McCune.
(b) Judi Jackson vs. County of Placer, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Court Case No.: CIV.S 05-79 FCD KJM – The Board extended the contract for outside counsel.
(c) Orrin (Rick) Hoffman, WCAB Claim, Claim No.: SAC284531, SAC230855, Unassigned, SAC10867 and Unassigned – The Board gave directions to the Risk Manager to handle negotiations.
(d) Alan Roberts, WCAB Claim, Claim No.: SAC0353218 and SAC0353219 – The Board gave directions to the Risk Manager to handle negotiations.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
(a) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case – The Board reviewed a letter received by the County with regard to threatened litigation and gave direction to Counsel and the County Executive Office.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board had a brief discussion with its Labor Negotiators with regard to DSA negotiations only.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director, Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA - Items #12e & 19a moved for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
12. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolutions 2007-20 through 2007-26 adopted for Captain John FitzGerald (21 years), Captain Karl Fulenwider (27 years), Sergeant William “Chuck” Lichty (32 years), Randolph “Randy” Padilla, Deputy Sheriff ll (32 years), Alan Loeffler, Correctional Officer ll (21 years), Elizabeth “Liz” Liddle, Public Safety Dispatcher ll (27 years), and Gloria Ball, Senior Administrative Legal Clerk (28 years), congratulating them on their retirement and commending them for their years of dedicated public service as employees of Placer County.
b. Resolution 2007-27 adopted commending Ken Yorde upon his retirement and for his contribution and dedicated service on the Rocklin City Council.
c. Approved contract with Kelly Hawkins to provide secretarial services to the Meadow Vista Municipal Advisory Council.
d. Approved contract with Kelly Hawkins to provide secretarial services to the Weimar/Applegate/ Colfax Municipal Advisory Council.
e. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION
minutes of December 19, 2006.
13. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 06-120, Hern, Ashley, $304 (Property Damage).
b. 06-127, Scott, Larry, $13,381 (Property Damage).
c. 06-132, Torell, John, $674.69 (Property Damage).
d. 06-133, Graczyk, Doreen, Not Stated (Bodily Injury).
e. 06-143, Friend, Colby, $2,800 (Property Loss).
f. 07-002, Jacome, Ivan, $3,250.55 (Property Damage).
14. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Agricultural Commission – Approved appointment of Vicky Morris to Seat 5 (Ag Processing Industry), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Library Advisory Board – Approved the appointment of Martha Riley to Seat 1 (District 1), as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
c. Newcastle-Rocklin-Gold Hill Cemetery District – Approved reappointment of Roy B. Hebard, Jr. to Seat 1 and Joe S. Wiltermood to Seat 2, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
15. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/APPEAL/OWENS MAP MODIFICATION (PSM20060708) – Approved the Applicant’s request to withdraw their appeal of the Planning Commission’s denial of a subdivision map modification, in the Serene Lakes area.
16. COUNTY CLERK/ELECTIONS – Resolution 2007-28 adopted authorizing the County Clerk to render election services for the Roseville Joint Union High School District Special Bond Election to be held April 24, 2007.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration - Authorized Supervisor Kranz, Holmes, Rockholm and Weygandt to travel to Washington D.C., February 26 to March 1, 2007, to meet with elected or appointed officials from the United States to discuss legislative and regulatory issues affecting the County, and over which the Federal officials have jurisdiction.
b. Approved contract amendment with the Center for Collaborative Policy, in the amount of $23,566, for a total contract amount of $65,000, providing professional facilitation services for the Affordable Housing Stakeholder Group and authorized the County Executive to sign.
c. Approved a merit increase (5%) for Clark Moots, Director of Administrative Services, from Grade 667 Step 3 to Grade 667 Step 4, $67.19 per hour, effective February 3, 2007.
18. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY GRANTS & LOANS - Approved contract with Mercy Housing California, in the not to exceed amount of $88,000, to provide administrative sub-contractor services for the 05-HOME-2123 Grant and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign.
19. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION
lease agreement with Placer Hills Union School District for Classroom #2 at the
Placer Hills Elementary School, located in Meadow Vista, for use by the
b. Resolution of Intention 2007-29 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Edward and Laura Bonin, APN 051-090-001, into Sewer Maintenance District #1. Subject property is located on Kemper Road in Auburn.
c. Resolution of Intention 2007-30 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Jack and Cathy Williamson, APN 076-036-006, into Sewer Maintenance District #1. Subject property is located on Kenneth Way in Auburn.
20. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 2, revising Article 2.78 of the Placer County Code governing In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority Advisory Committee activities.
b. Animal Services - Amended Umbrella Contract CH000006 with various veterinary providers for FY 2006/07, increasing funding by $28,000, for a revised total amount not to exceed $58,000, for emergency veterinary services and approved a budget revision transferring funds from contingencies to fund the requested amendment.
21. PERSONNEL – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Placer County Code, Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010 – Appendices 3 (Deputy Sheriffs Association-Sworn), Appendix 4 (Deputy Sheriffs Association-Non-Sworn), and Appendix 9 (Management-Sworn), relating to the salaries for the classifications covered by Proposition F and other associated law enforcement classifications to be effective February 2, 2007, 5:01p.m. Percentage increases by classification are as follows: Undersheriff 6.94%; Captain 6.76%; Lieutenant 6.77%; Sergeant 6.69%; Chief Deputy Coroner 4.94%, Deputy Sheriff I/II 4.93%; Investigator 7.07%.
22. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #13005, Office Supplies/Countywide - Approved Change Order #6 with Corporate Express, in the amount of $40,000. (Original contract was based on a cooperative purchase agreement as a result of a competitive bid awarded by another government agency.)
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13321, Dental Prosthodontic Appliances/Health & Human Services - Approved Change Order #3 with Alta Vista Dental Lab, in the Amount of $3,500.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13532, Roadside Vegetation Clearing Services/Public Works - Approved Change Order #1 with Arborwell, in the amount of $30,000.
d. Surplus, Vehicles & Miscellaneous Equipment/Various Departments – Declared vehicles and miscellaneous equipment as surplus and authorized disposal by public sale.
23. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Auburn Ravine/Lincoln Way Curb Relocation Project – Resolution 2007-31 adopted approving the project plans and specifications; authorizing the Chairman to sign the cover sheet; and authorizing the Public Works Department to advertise for bids for the Project.
b. Dick Cook Road Bridge Replacement Project – Resolution 2007-32 adopted approving a Mitigated Negative Declaration with the required findings and mitigations.
c. Foresthill Slide Repair, Construction Management Contract - Resolution 2007-33 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute Contract #73254, Amendment #1, with Blackburn Consulting, Inc., in the amount of $79,000, increasing the total contract amount to $279,000, for the construction management, inspection, materials testing and construction staking services, and authorizing the Public Works Director to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services, in an amount not to exceed $20,000.
d. Foresthill Slide Repair, Engineering Design Contract – Resolution 2007-34 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute Contract #73247, Amendment #1, with Blackburn Consulting, Inc., in the amount of $33,478, increasing the total contract amount to $147,830, for the engineering design, preparation of plans, specifications and estimates, and authorizing the Public Works Director to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services, in an amount not to exceed $10,000.
e. Gladding Road Bridge Replacement Project, Contract #73173 – Resolution 2007-35 adopted accepting the project as complete and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the Notice of Completion.
f. Gladding Road & Lozanos Road Bridge Replacement Project Contract - Resolution 2007-36 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute Contract #73232, Amendment #3, with Harris and Associates, in the amount of $54,975, increasing the total contract amount to $424,685, for the construction management, inspection and materials testing services, and authorized the Public Works Director to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services, in an amount not to exceed $42,500.
***End of Consent Agenda***
Consent Items Moved for discussion:
12. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
e. Approved minutes of December 19, 2006.
MOTION Holmes/Weygandt VOTE 3:0 (Rockholm/Uhler abstained)
19. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Approved lease agreement (subject to acquiring a Use Permit) with Placer Hills Union School District for Classroom #2 at the Placer Hills Elementary School, located in Meadow Vista, for use by the Sheriff’s Office. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
ADJOURNMENT – The next regular meeting is Tuesday, February 20, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
February 20, 2007
March 06, 2007
March 20, 2007
April 02, 2007 (Tahoe)
April 03, 2007 (Tahoe)
April 17, 2007