COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Kranz.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Dr. Burton, Health & Human Services, provided an update on the acquisition of Afghans at the Auburn Animal Shelter. Nancy Jo Rieske, Agriculture Marketing Director, addressed Placer County agriculture activity and requested a temporary ordinance allowing wine tasting. Deborah Todd and Astrick Pryor spoke about the Afghan rescue. Anita Wright and Mechelle Buhan addressed concerns about the Auburn Animal Shelter. Pam Plum spoke about Creek Week.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – None given.
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 3-7) – Item 19b and 26 were moved for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board on Item #25. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of Commendation honoring Linda Stackpoole, retired Lincoln City Clerk, for her contribution to the Lincoln Community as both a lifelong resident and City Clerk for over 22 years.
2. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Presentation of Commendation honoring PRIDE Industries for their contribution to the population of disabled people in the workforce and for winning the U.S. Secretary of Labor’s New Freedom Initiative Award.
b. Authorized the Chairman to execute a Memorandum of Understanding with PRIDE Industries, for FY 2006/07 transit services consisting of The Dial A Ride for Loomis, Rocklin, Granite Bay and a modified Taylor Road shuttle. Total cost is $220,490; the County is reimbursed $115,772 by Rocklin and Loomis. Net cost to the County is $104,718, which is funded with County Transportation Development Act Funds.
3. FACILITY SERVICES/SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT #1 – Public hearing closed. Resolution 2007-51 adopted annexing the Gordie and Patti Mason property, APN 076-030-057, into the district. Subject property is located on Creekhaven Road, in Auburn.
4. FACILITY SERVICES/COUNTY SERVICE AREA #28, ZONE 173 (DRY CREEK SEWER) – Public hearing closed. Resolution 2007-52 adopted annexing the Silver Creek properties, consisting of 28.58 acres into the district. Subject property is located at the corner of PFE Road and Walerga Road, in Roseville. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/BUDGET – Presentation of mid-year budget review for FY 2006/07.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/CHARTER REVIEW COMMITTEE - Convened a County Charter Review Committee of seven members, one appointed by each Supervisor, not necessarily from their District, and two At Large members, selected by the consensus of the Board, and directed the Clerk to the Board of Supervisors to post a notice of vacancies for appointments to the Committee.
7. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/CHILDREN’S SYSTEM OF CARE - Approved FY 2006/07 cooperative agreement with Placer County Office of Education (PCOE), in the amount of $1,990,995, to jointly meet the Federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and State/County mental health mandates to provide mental health services for severely emotionally disturbed children.
8. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Dry Creek Conservancy for the 11th Annual Creek Week Celebration, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
MOTION Uhler/Weygandt VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
b. Approved appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Markham Ravine Neighborhood Committee for the 4th Annual Lincoln Creek Week Event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt. MOTION Uhler/Weygandt VOTE 4:1 (Kranz No)
9. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) County of Placer vs. Nacht and Lewis Architects, Inc., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-17993. The Board received a report from Counsel and gave direction with regards to that matter.
(2) Anticipated Litigation:
(b) Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case. The Board extended the contract for special counsel assisting in the HCP NCCP process by another $100,000.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board received an update with regards to DSA matters from its negotiators and took no further action.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 3-7) - CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 3-7) – Item 19b and 26 were moved for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Redevelopment Agency Board on Item #25. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
10. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Personnel – Ordinance 5453-B adopted amending Placer County Code, Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010 – Appendices 3 (Deputy Sheriffs Association-Sworn), Appendix 4 (Deputy Sheriffs Association-Non-Sworn), and Appendix 9 (Management-Sworn), relating to the salaries for the classifications covered by Proposition F and other associated law enforcement classifications to be effective February 2, 2007, 5:01p.m. Percentage increases by classification are as follows: Undersheriff 6.94%; Captain 6.76%; Lieutenant 6.77%; Sergeant 6.69%; Chief Deputy Coroner 4.94%, Deputy Sheriff I/II 4.93%; Investigator 7.07%.
b. Personnel - Ordinance 5454-B adopted amending the California Public Employees Retirement System Local Safety Member contract to provide the $3,000 Retired Death Benefit in accordance with the existing Memorandum of Understanding, as approved by the Board on July 13, 2004, with the Placer County Deputy Sheriffs Association, for an annual cost of $23,000.
c. Health & Human Services – Ordinance 5455-B adopted amending Chapter 2, revising Article 2.78 of the Placer County Code governing In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority Advisory Committee activities.
11. WARRANTS – Week ending January 5, 12, 19, 26 and February 2, 2007.
12. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES – Approved budget revision, in the amount of $26,669, and added a Pitney Bowes DM-1000 mail machine to the Master Fixed Asset List.
13. AGRICULTURAL COMMISSIONER - Resolution 2007-41 adopted authorizing the Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign Contract #06-0493 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture for FY 2006/07, reimbursement up to a maximum of $79,993, for the Glassy-winged Sharpshooter/Pierce’s Disease Control Program.
14. ASSESSOR/ROSEVILLE GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM - Approved Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Roseville for joint parcel base updating and maintenance.
15. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Commendation honoring Linda Stackpoole, retired Lincoln City Clerk, for her contribution to the Lincoln Community as both a lifelong resident and City Clerk for over 22 years.
b. Commendation honoring PRIDE Industries for their contribution to the population of disabled people in the workforce and for winning the U.S. Secretary of Labor’s New Freedom Initiative Award.
c. Proclamation declaring April 21-28, 2007 as “Creek Week” in Placer County, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm and Supervisor Weygandt.
16. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 06-119, Harrell, Joshua, $50,000 (Personal Injury).
b. 06-125, Rodriguez, Jonathan, $100,000 (Personal Injury).
c. 07-005, Wolfgram, Kristine, $10,000 (Emotional Distress).
d. 07-006, Wolfgram, John, $25,000 (Personal Injury).
17. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following applications to present a late claim and their associated claims, as recommended by Counsel.
a. 06-116, Carpenter, Paul, $10,000 (Emotional Distress).
b. 06-129, Christensen, Jerem, Not Stated (Emotional Distress).
18. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Building Appeals Board – Approved reappointment of Bill A. Atchley, Jr. to Seat 6 (Fire Officials) and Randy Smith to Seat 8 (Fire Officials).
b. County Parks Commission – Approved reappointment of Bill Bisharat to Seat 4 (District 4), as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
c. County Service Area #28, Zone 27 Advisory Committee – Approved reappointment of Susan Prince to Seat 3 and Robert Dalrymple to Seat 4, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
d. Flood Control & Water Conservation District Board of Directors – Approved appointment of Ken Yorde to Seat 9 (Public At-Large).
e. Foresthill Community Center Advisory Board – Approved appointment of Nancy Hewitt to Seat 3 (Foresthill Community), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
f. Foresthill Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointments of Vicki Haskins Campbell (Primary) and Larry Jordan (Alternate) to Seat 6, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
g. Lincoln Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Accepted resignation of Manuel Rivas, Seat 5 (Alternate), and approved appointment of Manuel A. Nevarez to Seat 5 (Alternate), as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
h. Loomis Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointment of Ron “Fuzzy” Jarnagin to Seat 4 (Veteran At Large), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
i. Penryn Municipal Advisory Council – Approved appointment of Judy Bennett to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
j. Placer County Resource Conservation District – Approved appointment of Scott Harvey to Seat 2 (At Large) and Steve Garcia to Seat 5 (At Large).
k. Roseville Veterans Memorial Hall Board – Approved appointment of William C. Snead to Seat 5, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
l. Weimar/Applegate/Colfax Municipal Advisory Council - Approved appointment of Ben Mavy to Seat 4, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
19. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Building – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, revising Chapter 15, Section 15.04.050 Subdivision R., Roof Construction and Fire Retardant Requirements of the Placer County Code which would require application of Class A roofing materials in the unincorporated area on new construction, additions and re-roofing of more than 50% of the roof covering in a one year period.
b. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION/
& Surveying/Sunset Boulevard and Cincinnati Avenue Accept improvements for Sunset-Athens
Connector Road, PN 8340; Sunset Bridge, PN 8339; Public Road Name Assignment
for Foothills Boulevard North, for roadway, bridge and intersection
improvements as complete and approve resolution accepting Sunset Boulevard and Foothills
Boulevard North into the County Maintained Mileage System.
20. COUNTY COUNSEL - Appointed Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel, or a designated representative of his office, and Maureen Rodarte, Placer County Bar Association President, to the Law Library Board of Trustees.
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Merit Increase - Approved a 5% merit increase for Joshua Huntsinger, Deputy Agricultural Commissioner, from Grade 427, Step 1, to Grade 427, Step 2, at $32.90 per hour, retroactive to January 6, 2007.
b. Merit Increase - Approved a 5% merit increase for Kevin Starkey, Managing Accountant Auditor, from Grade 450, Step 4, to Grade 450, Step 5, at $47.88 per hour, retroactive to February 3, 2007.
22. FACILITY SERVICES/SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT #1 - Resolution of Intention 2007-43 adopted setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider annexation of property owned by Gary and Jennifer Rooker, APN 076-342-018, into the district. Subject property is located on Virginia Drive in Auburn.
23. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Competitive Bid #9647, 12 Mobile Vu Data Computers/Sheriff – Awarded bid to L3 Communications Ruggedized Command and Control Solutions, in the amount of $94,695.53.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13427, Forensic Toxicology Laboratory Services/Sheriff – Approved a sole-source request to renew the purchase order with National Medical Services, in the maximum amount of $70,000.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13935, Traffic Signal Maintenance and Repair/Public Works - Approved Change Order #1 with Ferguson Family Enterprises, Inc., Doing Business as Gray Electric Co., Inc. for in the amount of $40,000. The original blanket purchase order was in the amount of $75,000, for a total of $115,000.
d. Cancellation of Bid #9631, Three 2007 Animal Control Cab & Chassis Trucks/Fleet Services - Approved cancellation of Competitive Bid #9631 due to manufacturing cutoff date expiration and approved award of Competitive Bid #9644 for three 2008 model Animal Control cab and chassis
e. Qualified List #9286, Phase I & II Environmental Studies/Redevelopment, Facility Services - Approved a two-year extension on an as-needed basis.
24. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. California Tahoe Conservancy Private Lease Revenue Transfer – Resolution 2007-44 adopted authorizing the Chairman to execute an annual agreement with the State of California, in the amount of $49,680, for erosion control, minor road maintenance and other related purposes.
b. Fixed Asset - Approved the addition of one hot pressure washer (replacement) to FY 2006/07 Master Fixed Asset List; approved budget revision to appropriate funding to the Automotive Fixed Asset Account; and authorized the Procurement Officer to issue the purchase order to the vendor with the lowest responsive price quote of $5,003.21.
c. Foresthill Road Slide Repair Project, Contract #73260 - Resolution 2007-45 adopted accepting the project as complete and approving and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the Notice of Completion. Total original contract with Teichert is $2,403,912, plus change orders ($96,588) for a total of $2,500,500, (4% increase).
d. Highway 65 Lincoln Bypass – Resolution 2007-46 adopted authorizing the State of California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) to purchase rights-of-way for the Highway 65 Lincoln Bypass prior to approval of a proposed Freeway Agreement.
e. Lake Forest Erosion Control Project (Tahoe City) – Resolution 2007-47 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign Professional Services Agreement Amendment #2, with Wood Rodgers, Inc., in the amount of $110,200 and authorizing the Public Works Director to approve and sign future amendments up to $13,843.
f. Minnow Avenue Public Parking Facility Project (Kings Beach) – Approved Resolution 2007-48 adopting a Mitigated Negative Declaration (PDSD T20060685) for the project with the required findings in conformance with the California Environmental Quality Act.
g. Salmon Avenue Public Parking Facility Project (Kings Beach) – Approved Resolution 2007-49 adopting a Mitigated Negative Declaration (PDSD T20060649) for the project with the required findings in conformance with the California Environmental Quality Act.
h. Traffic Mitigation Fee - Approved a refund, in the amount of $4,322, to Troy W. and Michelle L. Kuhn, paid in error by the project applicant.
25. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD – Approved Resolution 2007-50 adopting a revision to the Redevelopment Agency’s budget to update proceeds realized through the sale of Tax Allocation Bonds. The Agency’s FY 2006/07 Budget will increase from $26,252,898 to $42,787,753.
26. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION/
– Approve the purchase of two vehicles from Cal-Met funds, in an amount not-to-exceed
$80,000, to support the Placer County Meth Program; approve the Master Fixed
Asset additions and budget revision and authorize the Purchasing Manager to
execute necessary documents to complete the purchase.
27. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR:
a. Resolution 2007-53 adopted authorizing the Treasurer-Tax Collector to sell tax–defaulted properties at a public auction on May 4, 2007.
b. Resolution 2007-54 adopted authorizing the Treasurer-Tax Collector to sell tax-defaulted property at a sealed bid sale on May 2, 2007.
***End of Consent Agenda***
Consent Items Moved for Discussion:
19. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
b. Engineering & Surveying/Sunset Boulevard and Cincinnati Avenue – Accepted improvements as complete for roadway, bridge and intersection improvements at Sunset Boulevard and Cincinnati Avenue, Resolution 2007-55 adopted approving a road name assignment for “Foothills Boulevard North” to be assigned to a new road located between Sunset Boulevard and Athens Avenue, and Resolution 2007-42 adopted accepting Sunset Boulevard and Foothills Boulevard North into the County Maintained Mileage System. MOTION Weygandt/Holmes/Unanimous
26. SHERIFF – Approved the purchase of two vehicles from Cal-Met funds, in an amount not-to-exceed $80,000, to support the Placer County Meth Program; approved the Master Fixed Asset additions and budget revision and authorized the Purchasing Manager to execute necessary documents to complete the purchase. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
28. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER - Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for FY ending June 30, 2006.
29. U.S. BUREAU OF RECLAMATION – Auburn Folsom South Unit Special Report, December 2006.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regularly scheduled meeting is March 6, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
March 06, 2007
March 20, 2007
March 27, 2007 (Strategic Planning-Rocklin)
April 02, 2007 (Tahoe)
April 03, 2007 (Tahoe)
April 17, 2007