COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, APRIL 3, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
Resort at Squaw Creek, Alpine “A”
400 Squaw Creek Road
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Weygandt.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 3-7) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 12 thru 23) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/WILDFIRE PREVENTION & BIOMASS UTILIZATION STRATEGIC PLAN – Request that the Board provide direction and/or approve the plan subject to budget approval.
2. PUBLIC WORKS/CROSS JURISDICTIONAL TRAFFIC IMPACTS - Resolution authorizing the Director of Public Works to sign an agreement with the Town of Truckee addressing cross jurisdictional traffic impacts and finding equivalent traffic impacts between the Town and the County.
3. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT – Main Street Program update for:
a. Tahoe City Downtown Association.
b. North Tahoe Business Association (Kings Beach).
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
4. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT:
a. Bid #9663, Patrol Sedans/Sheriff - Award competitive bid to Hoblit Motors for the lease-purchase of 13 patrol sedans, in the amount of $349,671.17.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13640 & #13769, Road Paving Services/Public Works – Renew purchase order resulting from Competitive Bids #9445 & #9570, with Baldoni Construction Service, Inc., in the maximum aggregate amount of $265,000.
5. COUNTY CLERK/RECORDER/ELECTIONS – Resolution requesting the Board to appoint a Director to the Newcastle Fire Protection District.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Status report regarding Placer County’s Place-Based Planning Component of Tahoe Regional Planning Agency’s Pathway 2007, 20 Year Regional Plan.
b. Approve the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure of budgeted infrastructure funds for a portable performing arts stage, in an amount not to exceed $126,000.
7. FACILITY SERVICES/SITE SELECTION FOR TAHOE GOVERNMENT CENTER – Update on the current status of the center site solicitation including a description of properties under consideration. Staff requests the Board provide direction to eliminate the Kingswood property from further consideration and that the Board direct staff to continue its due diligence with the intent that staff will return with a recommendation at the July 2007 Board Meeting in Tahoe.
8. PUBLIC WORKS/BEAVER STREET INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS, KINGS BEACH – Resolution authorizing the Public Works Director to execute a cooperative agreement with the North Tahoe Public Utility District, in the amount of $598,690, to work in tandem on a water and sewer main replacement project and to implement County roadway water quality drainage improvements and pavement overlay.
9. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT – Resolution adopting specific findings for the purchase of property located at 8876-8784 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach, in the amount of $850,000, subject to County Counsel review.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
10. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD:
a. Agreement - Resolution authorizing the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director to execute a Community Reinvestment Act Loan Agreement with Wells Fargo Bank, in the amount of $600,000, for the revitalization in the North Lake Tahoe Redevelopment area subject to Agency Counsel review.
b. Property Purchase - Resolution and findings authorizing the purchase of property located at 8776-8784 North Lake Boulevard, Kings Beach, in the amount of $850,000, plus related escrow costs, approve the required budget revision, in the amount of $1,450,000, and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO–Redevelopment Director or designee to sign all documents subject to Agency Counsel review.
c. Kings Beach Gateway Monument Signs - Accept a status report.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
RECONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
11. COUNTY COUNSEL/ADJOURN TO CLOSED SESSION: Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
CONSENT AGENDA - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 12 thru 23) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion
12. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Community Development Resource Agency/Building – Ordinance amending Chapter 15, revising Article 15.04.050 Section E, Permit Fees, including clarifying language for calculating building permit fee charges, pursuant to Placer County Grand Jury recommendations, and updating the April 2002 Building Standards Valuation table, adopted by the Board on November 4, 2003, based on the California Construction Cost Index.
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve budget revisi on transferring existing funding to the Master Fixed Assets Account (4451), in the amount of $6,000, to purchase a fixed asset (one color scanner) and add the item to the Master Fixed Asset List.
b. Approve proclamation acknowledging ongoing efforts by the Child Abuse Prevention Council of Placer County to eliminate child abuse, and to proclaim April 2007 as “Child Abuse Prevention Month” in Placer County.
c. Approve resolution in support of the 16th Annual "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" to be held on Sunday June 3, 2007 around Lake Tahoe.
14. CLERK RECORDER/REGISTRAR OF VOTERS - Approve purchase of recommended trust reimbursed fixed assets to replace aging equipment and improve Clerk-Recorder and Elections security, approve addition of the requested items to the master fixed asset list, and approve a budget revision appropriating $17,500 for a digital reader-printer, $9,450 for security system upgrades, and $1,425 for security tapes, with all recommended expenditures offset by reimbursement from department trust funds.
15. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Gold Run Cemetery District – Approve appointment of Daniel Ellison to Seat 4 and Richard Christopher “Chris” Snyder to Seat 6, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
b. North Lake Tahoe Resort Association Infrastructure Committee – Approve appointment of Sue Daniels, Thomas Murphy, Guy Perman, Paula Rachuy, Paul Vatistas and Keith Vogt, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. Older Adult Advisory Commission – Approve appointment of Chester Lelio to Seat 2 (District 2), as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
16. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING - Approve amendment to blanket purchase order with Psomas, extending the terms through June 30, 2007 and increasing the amount to $363,900, a $100,000 increase, for project inspection and construction management services in the Tahoe/Truckee area, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign.
17. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration - Authorize the Chairman to sign contractual amendment to agreement with Dean Tibbs of Advanced Energy Strategies, in the amount of $50,000, increasing the contract total to $300,000, to support the Middle Fork American River Hydroelectric Project.
b. Administration – Approve revised specification for the Director of Child Support Services (unclassified) and introduction of an ordinance amending Chapter 3, Article 3.12, Section 3.12.030, relating to the salary for the position. The revised Director’s specification incorporates a law degree requirement and significant legal responsibilities that will enable the Department to leave a Supervising Child Support Attorney position vacant and net $9,764 per month to fill other key management positions.
c. Community Grants & Loans – Resolution authorizing the submittal of an application, in the amount of $600,000, to the California State Department of Housing and Community Development for funding under the CalHome Program and authorize the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director, or designee, to execute a standard agreement and related documents.
d. Economic Development – Approve a promotional item, in the amount of $500, for the Regional Council of Rural Counties Annual Conference held on September 20, 2006 in Squaw Valley and hosted by Placer County, including the expenditure of $340 for a gift certificate promoting one of Placer County’s ski resorts.
e. Emergency Services – Resolution transferring two programmable, changeable, message boards purchased by the County in 2006 with Homeland Security funds from the Master Fixed Asset List to North Tahoe Fire Protection District and direct staff to execute necessary actions to effect the transfer.
18. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Agreement - Approve agreement with SCS Field Services, in an amount not to exceed $166,080, for the operation and maintenance of the landfill gas systems at the Meadow Vista, Loomis and Eastern Regional Landfills.
b. Agreement – Approve agreement with SCS Engineers, in an amount not to exceed $91,112, for water quality monitoring services at the Meadow Vista, Loomis, Eastern Regional and Foresthill Landfills.
c. Agreement - Authorize the Facility Services Department to complete negotiations for a new lease agreement with Cagle Properties, LLC, for the Records Management Warehouse located at 1765-1795 Industrial Drive, Auburn, and authorize the Facility Services Director to execute upon County Counsel approval.
d. Dewitt Signage Project #4632 - Resolution accepting the project as complete and authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion.
19. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION – Introduction of an ordinance, amending Chapter 3, Sections 3.12.010, Appendix 1, relating to position reclassifications for the Community Development Resource Agency and the departments of Health & Human Services and Public Works. The recommended reclassifications could ultimately result in an increased cost of approximately $17,928, though it will be less initially since the employees in these positions are not at Step 5.
20. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9667 , NEC Brand Telephone System Parts/Telecommunications – Award competitive bid to Black Box Network Services, in the maximum amount of $140,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13440 , Ergonomic Chairs/Countywide – Renew purchase order as a result of Competitive Bid #9505, in the maximum amount of $130,000.
c. Blanket Purchase Order #13630 , Asbestos Abatement Services/Facility Services – Renew purchase order resulting from Competitive Bid #9542 with Allied Environmental, Inc., in the maximum amount of $95,000.
d. Blanket Purchase Order #13686 , Building Materials/Facility Services – Renew a negotiated blanket purchase order with Diamond Pacific, in accordance with Section 7.2 of the Purchasing Policy Manual, in the maximum amount of $80,000.
e. Blanket Purchase Order #13689 & #13690 , Safety Supplies/Emergency Services – Renew blanket purchase orders, as a result of Competitive Bid #9549, with Empire Safety & Supply, Inc., in the maximum aggregate amount of $195,000.
f. Blanket Purchase Order , Water Borne Traffic Line Paint/Public Works – Approve purchase order, through a competitively bid cooperative purchasing agreement, through the use of the State of California contract with Ennis Paint, Inc., in the maximum amount of $100,000.
g. Blanket Purchase Order #13703 , Plumbing Supplies/Facility Services – Renew blanket purchase order, as a result of Competitive Bid #9422, with Anderson’s Sierra Pipe Company, Inc., in the maximum amount of $79,000.
h. Blanket Purchase Order #14127 , Sewer Line Chemical Root Control Services/Facility Services – Renew purchase order resulting from Competitive Bid #9519, with Duke’s Root Control, Inc., in the maximum amount of $60,000.
i. Contract, Dedicated Hosting Services for County Website/Administrative Services – Approve a negotiated three-year contract with Invision.com, Inc., in the amount of $88,484.13.
21. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Barton Road Bridge at Miners Ravine Replacement Project , Contract #73028 - Resolution authorizing the Chairman to execute Amendment #6 with MRO Engineers, Inc., increasing the contract by $55,000, for a total not to exceed $421,789, for construction support services and authorize the Public Works Director to sign future contract amendments up to $40,000.
b. County Service Area (CSA) 28, Zone of Benefit 161(Village at Squaw Valley) – Approve a refund, in the amount of $2,520.56, collected from Squaw Valley Ski Corporation for expenses related to the Traffic Management Program from FY 2001/02 through FY 2005/06, which were to be reimbursed by the CSA.
c. Slurry Seal Existing Roads, Summer, 2007, Contract #1008 – Approve project specifications for the annual project, estimated to cost approximately $800,000, and authorize the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids.
d. Tahoe Area Regional Transit - Authorize the Chairman and Public Works Director to execute a Memorandum of Understanding with the Truckee-North Tahoe Transportation Management Association, in the amount of $52,000, to reimburse Placer County for transit services between Truckee, Squaw Valley and Tahoe City during the winter of 2006/07.
22. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation in the amount of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lincoln Volunteer Center, Tour de Lincoln Fundraising Event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
b. Approve appropriation in the amount of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Performing Arts of Roseville, Music in the Park, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
c. Approve appropriation in the amount of $1,250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Sierra College Foundation’s Third Annual, A Taste of Excellence Event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($500), Supervisor Weygandt ($250), Supervisor Holmes ($250) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
d. Approve appropriation of $2,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the 17th Annual Tommy Apostolos Fund, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($1,000) and Supervisor Uhler ($1,000).
a. Resolution authorizing Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute agreement with the State Department of Boating & Waterways for FY 2007/08, in the maximum amount of $72,475, to support our boating safety program.
b. Approve addition of one leased patrol vehicle to the Master Fixed Asset List, and technical budget revision to capitalize the leased vehicle for the South Placer Courthouse, in the amount not-to-exceed $28,000, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute related documents.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
24. AREA 4 AGENCY ON AGING – General Purpose Financial Statements & Supplementary Information for year ending June 30, 2006.
25. MEADOW VISTA COUNTY WATER DISTRICT – 2006 Annual Audit Report and 2007 Final Budget.
26. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of February 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
April 17, 2007
May 08, 2007
May 22, 2007
June 12 2007
June 26, 2007