COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY JULY 24, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
North Tahoe Conference Center
8318 North Lake Blvd., Lodge Pole Room
Kings Beach, CA 96143
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Uhler.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Alvina Patterson spoke about the distribution of Transient Occupancy Taxes. Guy Meersthaert spoke about Commercial Floor Area allocation disbursement. Thomas Miller, County Executive Officer, referred him to Rich Colwell, Chief Assistance County Executive.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS: None given.
1. FACILITY SERVICES/EASTERN REGIONAL MATERIALS RECOVERY FACILITY & FRANCHISE AREAS 2 & 3 - Public hearing closed. Approved solid waste tipping fee increases for FY 2007/08 at the Eastern Regional Materials Recovery Facility, effective July 25, 2007, and collection fee increases in Franchise Areas 2 and 3 (includes all parts of Placer County, east of Colfax with the exception of Foresthill), retroactive to July 1, 2007; Resolution 2007-245 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign the contract amendment that incorporates the recommended fee increases; and made a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resource Code, that the fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service, and are therefore exempt from environmental review.
2. FACILITY SERVICES/SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT #1 – Public hearing closed. Resolution 2007-246 adopted annexing the Donald and Shirlene Vandendriesche property, APN 051-030-041-510, located on Loray Lane in Auburn, into the district. MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous
3. PUBLIC WORKS/KINGS BEACH COMMERCIAL CORE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT – Provided an update regarding the proposed project, including environmental document preparation, alternative selection, public outreach and schedule.
4. FACILITY SERVICES/TAHOE GOVERNMENT CENTER/SITE SELECTIONS – The Board:
1. Approved the selection of the Trading Post Center, the B.B. LLC Properties, and Lot 1, on the Joerger Ranch Subdivision in Martis Valley, as final candidate sites for the future development of a Tahoe Government Center;
2. Authorized staff to proceed with more extensive evaluation of the finalist properties to ascertain development and acquisition costs; and
3. Directed staff to return by the end of 2007 with recommendations related to the most feasible property for acquisition and material terms for the proposed purchase.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Administration – Received an update regarding the Tahoe Web Page Project.
b. Emergency Services - Resolution 2007-247 adopted approving the Truckee Fire Protection District Capital Facilities Plan for 2007 which includes a newly derived methodology for computing fees, which will increase rates for some types of property and decrease for other types of property. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
c. Emergency Services - Resolution 2007-248 adopted approving the North Tahoe Fire Protection District Capital Facilities Plan for 2007 which includes a newly derived methodology for computing fees which will increase rates for some types of property and decrease for other types of property.
d. Emergency Services - Resolution 2007-249 adopted approving the Alpine Springs County Water District Capital Facilities and Fire Mitigation Fee Expenditure Plan for 2007 which is the District’s initial fire mitigation fee plan. MOTION Weygandt/Uhler/Unanimous
e. Emergency Services - Resolution 2007-250 adopted approving the June 2007 Squaw Valley Fire Department Capital Facilities Plan Update which maintains the existing Mitigation Fee structure.
f. Emergency Services - Resolution 2007-251 adopted approving the FY 2007/08 Northstar Fire Department Capital Facilities Plan Update which contains a 2.9% mitigation fee increase.
6. FACILITY SERVICES/AUBURN RAVINE BASIN SEWER COLLECTION SYSTEM:
a. Approved agreement with West Yost Associates, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $245,260, to perform a condition assessment of the Auburn Ravine Basin Sewer Collection System located in North Auburn. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
b. Approved agreement with West Yost Associates, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $150,961, to perform a hydraulic capacity analysis and develop a Capital Improvement Plan for the Auburn Ravine Basin Sewer Collection System located in North Auburn.
7. FACILITY SERVICES/TRENCHLESS TECHNOLOGY SEWER REHABILITATION, PROJECT #40213, FY 2007/08, SEWER MAINTENANCE DISTRICT 1 (North Auburn) & 2 (Granite Bay) – Approved plans and specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids; Resolution 2007-252 adopted authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute the resulting contract, in an amount not to exceed $355,000, upon review and approval by Risk Management and County Counsel, and to approve change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code. MOTION Uhler/Weygandt/Unanimous
8. PUBLIC WORKS/SURVEYING SERVICE CONTRACTS – Resolution 2007-253 adopted approving, as a result of a competitive bid, blanket purchase order contracts with various firms, in an amount of $125,000 per contract, not to exceed a total combined amount of $750,000; to provide surveying services for various public works and capital improvement projects in eastern Placer County, and authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign, execute and transfer funds between contracts as needed.
9. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR – The Board met with negotiators and gave direction.
(a) Property: APN's 110-010-017-000; 110-010-021-000; 110-010-018-510; 110-010-022-510; 110-010-023-000; 110-010-026-000 and 110-010-027-000.
Negotiating Parties: County of Placer, Trust for Public Land, Truckee Donner Land Trust and Waddle Ranch Investors.
Under Negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of acquisition
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – The Board met with negotiators and gave direction.
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 3-5) – Item 15 moved for discussion. Consent Agenda approved as amended with action as indicated. MOTION Rockholm/Holmes/Unanimous
10. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Personnel – Ordinance 5478-B adopted re-adopting the Personnel Rules in its entirety, as identified in Chapter 3 of the Placer County Code, to reflect the recommendations approved by the Civil Service Commission at their regular meeting of April 9, 2007 and approved amendment to Chapter 2, Administration, Article 2.12, relating to County Office Hours.
11. WARRANTS – Week of June 8, 15, 22 and 29, 2007.
12. AUDITOR/CONTROLLER – Resolution 2007-239 adopted approving the purchase of Automate!Test Software from Newmerix Corporation, with accompanying professional services contract for one year of maintenance and support and the accompanying budget revision, in the total amount of $90,100. The testing software will provide consistent automated testing during the impending improvements to the County Payroll & Personnel System (ACORN).
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2007-240 adopted in support of the 5th Annual “Tour–de–Tahoe – Bike-Big-Blue” to be held on Sunday, September 9, 2007 around Lake Tahoe.
14. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Charter Review Committee – Approved appointment of Aldo Pineschi to Seat 1 (District 1); Gregory H. Nau to Seat 2 (District 2); Wayne Nader to Seat 3 (District 3); Ronald L. Feist to Seat 4 (District 4); Richard H. Brown to Seat 5 (District 5); Annabell McCord to Seat 6 (At-large); and Todd Lindstrom to Seat 7 (At-large).
b. Library Advisory Board – Approved appointment of Celia Broadwell to Seat 5 (District 5), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
15. MOVED FOR DISCUSSION
DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY /PLANNING/Appeal of Decision Made by Placer County
Airport Land Use Commission Regarding Conditional Use Permit Application for
Parkside Nazarene Church and Christian Legacy School (PCPM 20060608) - Staff is
recommending that determination of the Placer County Airport Land Use
Commission dated September 9, 2006, regarding the proposed middle school at the
Parkside Nazarene Church in Auburn be overruled, and that the project be
16. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT - Resolution 2007-241 adopted withdrawing from the Sierra Planning Organization and Sierra Economic Development District, effective September 30, 2007.
17. DISTRICT ATTORNEY - Approved a budget revision, in the amount of $35,288.16, to transfer consumer fraud funds to reflect the rate costs for nine existing lease vehicles and authorized the Procurement Manager to execute documents associated with the lease vehicles.
18. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Main Jail Housing, Unit 4, Plaster & Shower Remediation, Project #9477 (Dewitt) - Resolution 2007-242 adopted authorizing Facility Services to solicit construction proposals from Aberdeen Burris Contractors and S.W. Allen Construction, Inc. for the project; approved the payment of $2,000 to each contractor, as compensation for the preparation of a Remediation Proposal and made a finding that the project is exempt from competitive bidding requirements, on the grounds that it is impractical to bid and that the public interest will not be served by bidding the project.
b. Manhole Lining Rehabilitation, Project #40214, FY 2007/08, Sewer Maintenance District 1 (North Auburn) & 2 (Granite Bay) - Approved plans and specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids; Resolution 2007-243 adopted authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute the resulting construction contract, in an amount not to exceed $162,500, upon review and approval of Risk Management and County Counsel, and to approve change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
19. PERSONNEL/LEGISLATION - Authorized the Chairman to sign a letter in opposition to Assembly Bill (AB) 553 regarding the Public Employees Relations Board.
20. PROCUREMENT SERVICES – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Competitive Bid #9695, Landscape Aggregates/Facility Services – Awarded to Hastie’s Capitol Sand & Gravel and Robinson Sand & Gravel, in the maximum aggregate amount of $125,000.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13935, Traffic Signal Maintenance/Public Works - Renewed as a result of Competitive Bid #9585, with Gray Electric Company, Inc. in the maximum amount of $60,000.
c. Negotiated Blanket Purchase Order #14085, Various Medical Vaccines/Health & Human Services Approved Change Order #1 with Sanofi Pasteur, Inc., increasing the maximum amount from $47,500 to $61,500.
21. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Auburn Ravine/Lincoln Way Curb Relocation Project, Contract #1013 – Resolution 2007-244 adopted accepting the project as complete and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the Notice of Completion.
b. Tahoe Estates Erosion Control Project, Construction Contract #73225 – Approved the project plans and specifications for use in bidding and construction of the project and authorized the Department of Public Works to advertise for bids.
22. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Placer Nature Center, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Approved appropriation of $750 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Rocklin Area Chamber of Commerce 14th Annual Hot Chili & Cool Cars Event, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
***End of Consent Agenda***
The following Consent item was moved for discussion:
15. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/Appeal of Decision Made by Placer County Airport Land Use Commission Regarding Conditional Use Permit Application for Parkside Nazarene Church and Christian Legacy School (PCPM 20060608) - Staff is recommending that determination of the Placer County Airport Land Use Commission dated September 9, 2006, regarding the proposed middle school at the Parkside Nazarene Church in Auburn be overruled, and that the project be approved.
MOTION Holmes/Rockholm/Unanimous to conditionally overrule the September 9, 2006 Placer County Airport Land Use Commission determination that a proposed middle school at the Parkside Nazarene Church was incompatible with the Placer County Airport Land Use Compatibility Plan and approved the project, including conditions of approval pursuant to the use permit findings.
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
23. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR – Treasurer’s Statement for the month of June 2007.
ADJOURNMENT – The next regular meeting is Tuesday, August 7, 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
August 07, 2007
August 13, 2007 (Budget Hearing)
August 14, 2007 (Budget Hearing)
August 15, 2007 (Budget Hearing)
August 28, 2007
September 18, 2007
October 02, 2007
October 22, 2007 (Tahoe)
October 23, 2007 (Tahoe)